Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2017 9:27:49 PM EDT
I've had 3-4 failures to lock back with 1 of my $8 cmp magazine. It was marked and all following malfs were with that mags. It's now trashed.

Today I was testing out a box of federal hsts.

Besides absolutely horrible accuracy I got one failure to feed with a cmc powermag. I was surprised that after almost 2k rounds I get a malf with with hsts.

I get great accuracy and no malfunctions with my 9s.

Just my CSB story for the day
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Take it out of the trash & use some Flitz powder on the mag follower, to smooth rough edges.

Polish the feed lips while you are at it;  not too much polishing, hard to get those metal shavings back on...
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take it out of the trash & use some Flitz powder on the mag follower, to smooth rough edges.

Polish the feed lips while you are at it;  not too much polishing, hard to get those metal shavings back on...
View Quote
I tossed it last week.

Mags are disposable, especially surplused mags.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry HST's in 9 and .45 and FWIW, I seem to shoot better groups with the 9mm HST than I do with .45.  What kind of 1911?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I carry HST's in 9 and .45 and FWIW, I seem to shoot better groups with the 9mm HST than I do with .45.  What kind of 1911?
View Quote
Springfield loaded.

I went back and shot another 50 during a studying break. Last night I switched back to my pachymer grips to see if using a little slimmer grip might help my group.

It did. It's not as good as I can do with this gun but it was centered and close to my standard.

No malfunctions today. Maybe another 100 and I'll feel a little better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, they are disposable.  I've always been able to get mine to function properly.

Sad to think about the untold thousands of M1911A1 & 20 Round M16 USGI mags that went to the dumpster.

More sad is thinking about how many I could have had FREE.  I only saved one USGI 20, and gave that one away.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, they are disposable.  I've always been able to get mine to function properly.

Sad to think about the untold thousands of M1911A1 & 20 Round M16 USGI mags that went to the dumpster.

More sad is thinking about how many I could have had FREE.  I only saved one USGI 20, and gave that one away.
View Quote
Nope, not sad at all. Infact I think scraping mags is my patriotic duty.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been issued an equal amount of absolute crap mags that should have been scrapped but instead had plier marks and issued to me.

No thanks. 3-4 malfs with one mag and it gets crushed and tossed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
That makes sense.

The Mags I am sad about being discarded for the most part had nothing wrong with them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I've tossed many a Wilson 47D that probably just needed fresh springs.  My 7 round Checkmates with +p springs seem to last forever.  Recently grabbed a few ETM's with the longer tube, time will tell on those.

ETA:  YMMV, this is just my experience, I'm not knocking 47D's if they work for you.  Added for the sake of avoiding a religious mag war :P
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Other than being a bit more difficult to load my CMP mags have been great.. Only have 20 and wishing it was january 1st 2018.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Other than being a bit more difficult to load my CMP mags have been great.. Only have 20 and wishing it was january 1st 2018.....
View Quote
My other 9 have been perfect. I'll order another 10 next year
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've tossed many a Wilson 47D that probably just needed fresh springs.  My 7 round Checkmates with +p springs seem to last forever.  Recently grabbed a few ETM's with the longer tube, time will tell on those.

ETA:  YMMV, this is just my experience, I'm not knocking 47D's if they work for you.  Added for the sake of avoiding a religious mag war :P
View Quote
Wilson will fix or replace worn out mags.  I always thought it was the whole selling point of their mags.  I tried the ETM +p mags when they first came out.  They were ok, one caused a stone-cold reliable Colt I had to have it's first FTFe and I was kinda miffed about that.

How do make a Check-Mate last long??

I tried the FBI spec mags with plastic base plates that broke off after a few slide lock reloads and their welded base mags would constantly need to be rebent from slide lock reloads.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using CMC Powermags for years, but I will get an occasional inertia feed stoppage with them using carry ammo (HST and Gold Dot). All my Powermags have Tripp Super 7 guts because of this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top