Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2017 2:25:14 PM EDT
My unit decided to go with Ruger SR 1911s for deployment guns.

I search around read a few old reviews but does anyone here have any
Info on them?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My unit decided to go with Ruger SR 1911s for deployment guns.

I search around read a few old reviews but does anyone here have any
Info on them?
View Quote

Do tell?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do tell?
View Quote
That's the gun they picked for a novelty unit roll marked gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one.  Liked it.  It worked.  Lots of sharp edges.  Traded it to a guy for a SIG.  Don't know if I'd stake my life on one in some dusty/muddy/sandy place.  8 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Had one.  Liked it.  It worked.  Lots of sharp edges.  Traded it to a guy for a SIG.  Don't know if I'd stake my life on one in some dusty/muddy/sandy place.  8 rounds.
View Quote
I should have explained it better.

The 1911 is for personal use. Some higher ups made the choice to have SR1911s marked with our unit and operation.

We pay out of our pockets for this and we will get the pistol as a novelty item for our personnel collection after we return.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The 1911 is for personal use. Some higher ups made the choice to have SR1911s marked with our unit and operation.

We pay out of our pockets for this and we will get the pistol as a novelty item for our personnel collection after we return.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will be a fine choice, would it have been my first choice, no, but it wasn't my choice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a damned decent 1911.

Then there's this:
Mil-Spec 1911
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a damned decent 1911.

Then there's this:
Mil-Spec 1911
View Quote
That was actually the first 1911 I ever bought.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I will be a fine choice, would it have been my first choice, no, but it wasn't my choice.
View Quote
Not my first choice either.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a commander version, part of my carry rotation.  Works fine.  Trigger is decent, reliable, accuracy is all I can ask for.  Good bang for the buck.  No complaints at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with a Ruger at the right price.  If I were in the market I'd buy another or a Dan Wesson 1911 or even a S&W 1911.  They're all good guns.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing I've heard is that sometimes the front sights can break off.  I've heard of this happening more than once.   Other than that, they are a solidly built 1911.   All they need are a few parts upgrades if you're worried about MIM parts breaking.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome, thanks for the info. I think it will be a good gun for my intended purpose. Range trips here and there. Maybe dispatch a hog if I'm feeling like carrying a 1911 that day.

Sounds pretty comparable to other 1911s in that price range. Sharp edges and a few kinks to work out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I am at about 1200 rds and have had no issues after tweaking the extractor during break in. It's my only 1911 and is purely a range gun but it serves its purpose.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one and I shoot a lot. Probably my most fired handgun. It's a good pistol, I've never had issues with it.

The front sight breaking off was a problem with the shape of the early sights. That's been fixed in the recent production. Though, mine is an early one and it hasn't broken yet. (Now that I've said that it will snap off at the range tomorrow.)
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I got the railed version about two months ago.
I'm keeping a log on this one 770 rounds 1 malfunction from one of my funkey old range mags in the first session.
Went to using 6 known good mags after that no more stopages.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Both of my two SR1911s have well over 1k through them and they have been great.  No issues whatsoever.  I really like them and certainly have no regrets buying them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine has been great.  Good solid example of a working 1911.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#18]
.Patton s group?

Decent beater 19 11 for under 8 bill s
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a commander sized SR1911. Never fired it. Got it out one day to go to the range and noticed some odd spots on the frame adjacent the grips. Pulled the grips off and found massive corrosion spots all over the frame under both grips. Sent it back to Ruger on their dime. Their solution was to bead blast it to remove the corrosion, it also removed almost all of the factory made in Prescott Arizona markings. They were still there but very light. Kinda disgusted by the whole affair. Ruger offered to look at it if I returned it but a buddy liked it and I traded it off. No more Ruger for me.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Ruger 9mm lightweight commander. Just shot another 200 rounds today. 

The 1911 9mm LT CMD is an absolutely amazing platform. I am better with it than any other handgun I own. But that has little to do with Ruger and mostly with the design and caliber. Although I like the specs of the Ruger. Some companies make them too short or have other oddities. 

I had to send mine in and Ruger replaced it completely and quickly. And for free. 

Bottom line, I would buy a Ruger again. If they have the 1911 model you seek buy with confidence knowing it isn't a Wesson, or whatever, so you have an increased risk of a problem, but also a company that will quickly fix it in my experience.

Also, made in America. That was critical to me. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top