Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2017 4:10:05 PM EDT
I have Dan Wessons.  I was thinking of going with a Baer, wilson, nighthawk....

The parameters are that the gun must be a full size, 5" steel 1911.  I'd prefer a single safety over ambi, night sights would be preferable....  I usually carry a Dan Wesson Guardian or Valkyrie so I have the aluminum guns covered.  I'm looking to go steel on this one.   What I would really like is an Heirloom Precision but my girlfriend would more than likely murder me if she knew I spent that much money on a pistol......  Having shot all of the brands I listed as possibilities, I am willing to spend more if the gun justifies it, I am just looking more for performance not flash.
                                              Thanks for the ideas,
                                                                            Woody
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No frills, single side safety, night sights and a hair under 2k
Attachment Attached File

Les Baer UTC
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking.  How reliable has it been for you?  How many rounds through it?  Any trouble digesting certain ammo?  I try to use Federal HST.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought it new at the end of September. I've put 2600 rounds through it with no malfunctions. I shot 100 230gr HSTs through it with no problems either. I carry it with HSTs. I like the 30 lpi checkering better than the 20lpi on my TRP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry is the gun you are after.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
A Baer isn't better than a Dan Wesson.  It never will be.  Baer's thin blueing and sharp edges make them less competitive for that money
A Wilson Supergrade or a full custom maybe  Brown is where you should look.

And Baer fans, I'm not saying they suck or are bad.  It's just the known negatives make them less for the money in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Baer isn't better than a Dan Wesson.  It never will be.  Baer's thin blueing and sharp edges make them less competitive for that money
A Wilson Supergrade or a full custom maybe  Brown is where you should look.

And Baer fans, I'm not saying they suck or are bad.  It's just the known negatives make them less for the money in my opinion.
View Quote
I have both a Baer and a Wesson,  the Baer always goes with me the Wesson, not so much. It is a good gun though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, if I was bored with my Wessons, I would jump right over the Baers and go Wilson.

Or I would just have Dan Wesson build me exactly what I wanted.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Heirloom Precision is what you should buy if it's what you really want.......... I been divorced 4 times with a bunch of lady friends in between I still own guns i had before i got married the first time

That said Wilson or Nighthawk are who i would spend my money with.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer my Briley Versatility over my Baer Custom. Few people seem to have heard of them but they are very well built.

FWIW, both my Baer and Briley are older pistols and cost about a grand each very lightly used.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Springfield Armory railed professional
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Guncrafter Industries,  lots of custom choices and as good or better than any ou there.

Got my eye on either a Frag or Hoss atm.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Nighthawk... Own all the semi Custom manufactures Nighthawk IMO is on top of the rest right now. Quality and CS. I own Guncrafters as well they aren't better then a NH IMO and have pretty limited add on options..
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So I have been where you are.  I have 3 dan wessons and a les Baer.  They are all fantastic.  At 1500 Dan Wesson rules, at 2k I went les Baer and love it.  Now I'm looking for the next step.  If you have3-4K to spend from what I have handled I would go nighthawk or Wilson with nighthawk my current contender.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
If it were me, I would take a serious look at ordering a gun from Luke Volkmann Percision.  He can make you what you want and keep the price in your ball park.  His guns are all made one at a time by him (no one else).  He has a stellar reputation here in Colorado.  The only drawback is the 12 month wait.  But, there are pre-made guns at various LGS in Colorado and beyond.  His work is as good or better than anyones.  Check out:

http://volkmannprecision.com/

I personally own a Dan Wesson and a Wilson.  But, for 4K, I would prefer one of Luke's guns for sure.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you to everyone who offered advice.  After reading the comments, and holding guns, and wishing I hit the lottery so I could get the heirloom precision I'm between a wilson and a nighthawk.  Does anyone have a nighthawk with the bob marvel flat spring 10,000 rounds on it?  My 1911s are all series 70, and I have nothing but good things to say about series 70 style 1911s but this flat spring, softer shooting development looks like it may not be a gimmick.  With that said,

What 5" steel nighthawk or wilson would you buy and why?

Thanks,
                                                      Woody
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Combat Precision Technologies. Period, no questions. Google is your friend and IG and FB are too.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/nighthawk-falcon-blackout.35164/page-2#post-503265

Should buy my falcon... It's 100% condition I have a full custom being finished anyday now the only reason it is for sale..
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I happen to prefer Baer in that price range.  Yes I've owned Wilsons, Browns and DWs but the Baers are excellent for the money.  No need to spend over $2k for one IMO.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
NH 1911's are nice but overpriced, IMO. For the $$$, hard to beat a Baer. I'd opt for a 1-1/2" guarantee model.

A close second place would be an Ed Brown bobtail. Like Baer, they're understated but incredibly built guns.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#22]
OP what do you want to do with it? Is it an investment/collection item, competition, carry, or just something to punch holes in paper a couple times a year?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Night Hawk Custom 10mm, so I'd recommend any NHC or any Wilson Combat 1911.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#24]
An Ed Brown Special Forces would fit the bill.  Mine is the best pistol I have owned by far and I have had Wilson, Springfield, and Les Baer.  They were all great but this one seems just a touch above.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Thormx - I am going to shoot this gun and carry it daily in a Sparks summer special.   I put over 5000 rounds through my Dan Wesson Valkyrie in about 12 months.  I was warned about the alloy gun not holding up, and it is wearing much faster than I thought it would.  Its a great shooting gun but I don't think it could withstand multiple years of shooting that quantity of ammo annually.  Ed brown seems to fall nicely into the price point, and the kobra carry is bobbed which I like.  
I also have a Del Fatti OWB holster for a 4.25" gun that I like a lot, and plenty of IWB holsters.  I am not letting the holster make my decision, just fyi.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The fact that Jason Burton responds to posts is pretty F ing awesome.  Definitely says a lot about him......pictures of his work seem to speak for themselves.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#27]
tacdog - combat precision has some very pretty 1911s.  I will look into them.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Springfield Professional

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#29]
For anyone interested, I bought a Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Not the lightweight.  Once I get it I will probably post a review with photos.  It's brand new so if there are any issues I will report them.  IF there aren't, hopefully there aren't, I will definitely report that as well.
                          Thanks,
                                     Woody
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For anyone interested, I bought a Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Not the lightweight.
View Quote
You're going to loooooooove this gun! I have the LW version & it's virtually perfect. Accurate, reliable & LW. Not a bunch of crap written on the side of the slide & so forth.

My advice is to not be afraid of the oil. Be generous on the slide/frame lube amount.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I think bars are the less refined, working custom machine. The DW is like a cleaned version,. Both work well for what you get for the money, both have great craftmanship...just different

Wilsons..it's both, without the fitting marks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top