Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2017 9:35:30 AM EDT
I think this is the appropriate forum, it is about 1911s so im hoping it right here.

I heard about these, and was curious about their reliability. Ive seen reviews that seem to either praise it for being a affordable and reliable 1911, or that say its a waste of time and money, and that by the time you finish "fixing" it, you could have just got a Springfield and been done.  

Seeing that they range from model between $500 and $800, are they actually worth it? To put a bit of perspective as to intention, its a range toy, not used for home or self defense. Just as a 1911 to collect and own, nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a RIA 2011 style that I have no real complaints with that came in 22 TCM.  I had some reliability issues out of the box that warranty took care of.  They gave me a shipping label, I mailed it and 4-5 weeks later it was returned with the issue I noted solved.  My particular pistol had a conversion with 9mm and I had not run it adequately to learn that it had an issue as well.  I called and they escalated me as a second timer and they had the pistol maybe 2 weeks and it came back exactly as I asked and runs like a top.  I was even give the cell number of head gunsmith at RIA that answered my texts even at very late hours.  I personally, will buy a RIA again.  Most folks don't have any issues with them, I got lucky..  For what its worth, BOTH of the new SIGs I have bought have gone back for repair.  In summary, my personal opinion, is the RIA are a fantastic value.  For me personally, I'll be buying a RIA in the $350-$650 price range.  If I go above that it will be a colt then STI or Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
As a bare-bones range toy, the RIAs are fine. Buy away.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They're very good pistols. If you're not looking for a high-end 1911, they should probably be the go-to. My 5" 1911A1 runs like a top, unless its magazines get bound up with sand or grit, and its trigger is the best of any firearm I own.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had multiple RIA's.  You see all sorts of online comments on Philipino 1911's that are junk and such.  Love or hate them everyone has to admit they generally run and some how if you get a lemon RIA customer service is top notch.  David.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned a RIA 1911-A-1 for about 10 years.  The only thing I've done to mine is add Pearce black rubber grips.  I've owned a couple of Colt 1911's and the RIA pistols I've been around have been gtg.  Battle Field Las Vegas has mentioned using RIA pistols and they are satisfied with RIA performance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my RIA GI several years ago and it's been solid.  

Like said,  if you're looking for a basic, no frills 1911 they are a good buy.  The Tactical model had some upgrades that would be hard to do yourself for less than what they charge.  

But if l were going to buy a base model 1911 with the thought of upgrading to a full on custom l would start with a Colt or Springfield or better gun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had a couple of the GI models both in 45 and 9MM, I would buy another if the price was right, been considering a Tactical ll.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up my RIA 1911A2 yesterday. It's the 22TCM/9mm combo.
I was surprised that the pistol seemed smaller than the 1911 I had used in the Army. And surprised at its weight - heavier than I expected.
After a thorough wipe down, I have to say that the fit and finish is pretty nice for the price. I'm planning on making a tanker holster for it for carry, but haven't quite tweaked the pattern to final form yet.
Have to give credit to this forum for information, opinions, and discussion about this brand. Without the input I'd not likely have made the purchase! And that would've? been a shame. It promises to be one of my more fun pistols.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, good to see that most people have had a positive experience with RIA. I liked what I saw when looking at them, and it good to know that for the price, lemons seem to be an exception as oppose to the rule.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought my RIA 45 Tactical a few years ago, it's been awesome.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned 2 of them.  The original GI style 1911 in 45acp, which I got into for 350 or so from Bud's way back when.  Gun worked just fine with ball ammo, never got around to changing anything on it or doing much with it.  Ended up selling it about 6 months ago because it never got as much range time as my other 1911's.

The other one I have is the 9mm tactical model, with the beavertail, magwell, extended ambi-safety, and novak style sights.  I love it.  The only problem I had with it is the extended safety is so large it was actually being prevented from going all the way off by hitting the top of the grip on the right hand side.  I just shaved down the top of the grip a little bit for the safety to have freedom of movement and it's been fine since then.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think this is the appropriate forum, it is about 1911s so im hoping it right here.

I heard about these, and was curious about their reliability. Ive seen reviews that seem to either praise it for being a affordable and reliable 1911, or that say its a waste of time and money, and that by the time you finish "fixing" it, you could have just got a Springfield and been done.  

Seeing that they range from model between $500 and $800, are they actually worth it? To put a bit of perspective as to intention, its a range toy, not used for home or self defense. Just as a 1911 to collect and own, nothing more.
View Quote
I don't see the need for a "range toy" qualifier.  The Rock Island Armory pistols are equal to or better than many medium-priced 1911s.

Other than the expensive boutique guns, the average 1911 does well if you start out with with tuning by a skilled hand, something that they often do not receive at the modern factory.  I have a Rock Island TAC 1911 9mm, and I had a reputable 1911 smithy do the usual throating, polishing, extractor tune, trigger & ignition kit.  The RIA pistol + custom work was still less than the average gun shop price for a Springfield RO.  And it shoots great! It is not a work of perfection that my Wilson Combat CQB is, but the Wilson is a boutique gun with the commiserate price! While the Wilson is a safe queen, my RIA goes everywhere my Bug Home Bag goes, and I trust it implicitly, and with a little work, you can trust your RIA too!  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
They've gone up in price but are still a good buy. I'd have zero qualms about building up one too. 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a RIA Tac Ultra FS and thoroughly enjoy shooting it. I have done a few modifications for my own personal taste and to make it my own.

So far I have about 750ish rounds through it. Very accurate. Here it is with smooth G10 black grips from Hogue:

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I have two double stacks, they are very good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an Officer's Model (3.5in barrel) and it functions perfectly. It's my most accurate shooter ( for me anyway).
If you look around you can find their plain GI's for around $400. A very good value.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Have a RIA pro match ultra and it's a nail driver.

2" groups at 25 yards and out shoots my bros gold cup trophy.

The only issues I had was it being to tight from the factory and causing issues feeding. After I broke it in I've had 0 problems.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I grabbed one of the RIA Tacticals on Black Friday a few years back. 

I shot it the way it was a few times and enjoyed it, but I was shooting so much 9mm that it didn't get out much. 

Now that I put new sights, grips (both for personal preference), EGW sear spring, Fusion MSH with magwell, and cold blued the old style billboard logo, I'm really digging it. I might put an extended mag release on it, but the jury is still out.

I see no need to replace the trigger, safety, barrel, bushing, hammer, sear, etc. It's very accurate and has a good trigger out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
If you did a search you'll find that they are mostly a very good value. My son's work perfect and so does mine. They have great factory support. I wouldn't by a base model and heavily customize it, but they offer a wide variety of models from basic to tricked out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I've owned a bunch of their 1911s and currently have a Tac II with an unreal slide-frame fit that's pretty sweet.

I have no problem recommending them to others.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I like them

Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been looking at the Tac Ultra .45. I love the look of a Les Baer Monolith but I can't afford a Baer.  $630 on Grabagun. Anybody found one cheaper?

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a high cap TCM that I've ran roughly 300 rounds through with zero problems thus far.  That's better than I could say for a Springfield Range Officer or even my old Dan Wesson Razorback.  I think RIA might not lock up as tight so out of the box maybe they tend to be more reliable?  The triggers aren't as nice and accuracy likely less compared to a high end 1911 but they are great guns for the money.  I'll be buying another single stack soon.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't get the need to "fix" a NIB pistol. Take it out of the box and shoot it. Any problems send it in for warranty work. After that if the pistol needed no work or has come back from warranty work lube it, load mags and shoot.

I don't understand people trying to turn a pistol into an all in one target/self defense pistol. Tighten it up really good and end up with an unreliable pistol and complain. My 3 1911's are and were bone stock except for the springer milspec. I had to yank the stupid titanium firing pin that caused 3-4 failure to fire on every mag. My son's pistol was worse at 5-6 per mag. After that change using springfield and CMP surplus mags they both run 100%. I clean mine every 4-5 range sessions during each session at least 250 rounds go through them.

Swap out sights, grips, and let the trigger break in naturally. If you want to tweak it from there just choose your "improvements' wisely.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I just picked up a lightly used bottom of the line 9mm for $200 from a guy that needed money fast.  I might sell it for a profit or turn it into a project gun.  First thing I need to do is take it apart, clean all the lint out of it and lube it.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't get the need to "fix" a NIB pistol. Take it out of the box and shoot it. Any problems send it in for warranty work. After that if the pistol needed no work or has come back from warranty work lube it, load mags and shoot.

I don't understand people trying to turn a pistol into an all in one target/self defense pistol. Tighten it up really good and end up with an unreliable pistol and complain. My 3 1911's are and were bone stock except for the springer milspec. I had to yank the stupid titanium firing pin that caused 3-4 failure to fire on every mag. My son's pistol was worse at 5-6 per mag. After that change using springfield and CMP surplus mags they both run 100%. I clean mine every 4-5 range sessions during each session at least 250 rounds go through them.

Swap out sights, grips, and let the trigger break in naturally. If you want to tweak it from there just choose your "improvements' wisely.
View Quote
While both my rocks have been really good both of them have a bit of creep in the trigger before the break.  My springers and dan wesson don't have this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Which RIA 1911's are we comparing here ? Their plain finish and standard clearances M-1911A1 models or their higher end deluxe and custom shop models with all the bells and whistles ?  There is big difference between the two.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#30]
It's here!!!!

Ordered the Ultra Tac 45 from Grabagun last Wednesday, it arrived today. I requested a quote and got it for $609 shipped.

I can't wait to go shoot 'er.

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Congrats. Dig the grips.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm also looking for more information, will eventually get a 1911 but am quite interested in Rock Island Armory. What's the breakdown of each model? Looking or a fun range gun and am down to the ROCK or GI models. How's reliability, functionality, and accuracy?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Love my RIA 1911A1 "tactical" (regular 1911A1 with beavertail grip safety, ambi thumb safety, skeltonized hammer).  Can bang 66% sized IPSC steel all day long at 50 yards with it.  Never had a failure out of it but I haven't been out to a big round count class with it or rolled around in the muck with it either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Just got this a couple of weeks ago, after weeks of contemplating which 1911 for my first. Price was definitely a factor, but the online testimonials are hard to deny as well. Just seemed like it was overall hard to beat a Rock Island for value. 550 all said and done from my LGS.

Haven't had a chance to run it yet.

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just got this a couple of weeks ago, after weeks of contemplating which 1911 for my first. Price was definitely a factor, but the online testimonials are hard to deny as well. Just seemed like it was overall hard to beat a Rock Island for value. 550 all said and done from my LGS.

Haven't had a chance to run it yet.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4165/34216360710_88ba3d77f0_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4191/34216362740_6b11831fbd_b.jpg
View Quote
What model again? I'm looking at a RIA Rock Series. Either the Standard or Ultra. Dunno which is better suited. GI Series is interesting too but what's the difference between them all?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What model again? I'm looking at a RIA Rock Series. Either the Standard or Ultra. Dunno which is better suited. GI Series is interesting too but what's the difference between them all?
View Quote
That looks to be the Rock series, if nothing was done to it save the coating and grip. Basic model from the lack of fiber-optic front post.

the GI series is the most economical of the series. No beaver tail, rounded hammer or skeletal trigger.

The TAC series has a rail on the bottom and the barrel is squared out.

I think I settled on the Rock Standard FS 45. Would go with the GI, but if I decide to add anything, it would be what is already on the rock series standard, so might as well go straight to that. And I could get a set of grips and a Fiber'd front sight set if I really wanted.

Now I just need to finish my AR-15 so I can start saving up some money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Rock Standard FS in Patriot Brown cerakote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Bought a 2nd one off gb. Don't know the model. A 45 to go with my 40. (and all the others)

Check out the feed ramp.

Didn't even clean it, no lube, and went to the range. The result? Bang every damn time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#39]
http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-hc-45-acp/

I have to ask since i saw how cheap the magazines are for it.
Reliability etc please talk me into it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've owned a bunch of their 1911s and currently have a Tac II with an unreal slide-frame fit that's pretty sweet.

http://i.imgur.com/CejonlM.jpg

I have no problem recommending them to others.
View Quote
Sexy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#41]
The only complaint I have about RIA guns is their trigger guard. Didn't notice it was slightly different for a long time. But when I did I can't not see it every time. 
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#42]
So far I am happy with my RIA.  I just hit 500 rounds with no issues.  I'm thinking about picking up a CS model for CCW.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I have decided on an RIA. Unfortunately due to the California handgun roster, my options are extremely limited. I know I want a Commander, which leaves me with only one choice: the GI MS 45.

This means I will have to have the slide machined for sights, I will have to have a skeletonized trigger and hammer installed, as well as a beaver tail safety. Also it will need proper grips. So, that's a lot to do, but when you're paying $499, there's room in the budget.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought one used and it works just fine. Took it to a match without even testing it and it ran all day without skipping a beat to the tune of just over 200 rounds. No torture test for sure but they are pretty solid choices.

These days I would trust them at least as much as most of the name brand guns. It's been a while so I am not certain but I am pretty certain that Henderson Defense said they were one of the best performing guns on his indoor range outdoing even Colt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a GI Rock Island that I bought 10 years ago.  Sold it to a very good friend after changing the recoil spring.  Not that I had to, mind you, I just figured that after 5000+ rounds, it might be do.  I didn't really want to sell it, but I've got the itch for an honest to God USGI 1911...  Also had a compact Rock.  It was my carry gun for about 4 years.  My ONLY complaint was that if I didn't wipe it down every so often, it'd start to rust.  Of course, I was carrying IWB in Texas in the summer time.  I traded that off to a guy for a Norinco under folder AK.  I definitely got the better end out of THAT deal.

I've bet my life on the RIA pistols, but I'm not married to them.  Quality is good enough, price is outstanding.  I'll eventually get one of the Tac models, perhaps after I find my USGI pistol.

ka
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-hc-45-acp/

I have to ask since i saw how cheap the magazines are for it.
Reliability etc please talk me into it.
View Quote
I shoot the .40 version of that gun in Limited (USPSA)

They use Para style mags.

I actually just switched mine over to STI mags though because I was having issues getting 20rd into the aftermarket mags. It always fed fine when I wasn't trying to push the envelope though, haha.

Pretty sweet guns for the money.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a RIA back in the day and it was flawless. The one time I had to use RIA CS they were amazing. Best bang for the buck 1911.

However

Remington is offering a $100 rebate on all their 1911's. That comes out to $399 for a GI model and $499 for the R1 Enhanced.

Choices choices...
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Been really happy with my FS Ultra in 9mm. Had a few minor issues in the initial 1-200rds (failure to lock back and doesn't like flat points) but have since been resolved and have around 1000 through it now. Switched out the ambi safety, fit a solid trigger, and went to a billet slide stop but other than that every thing else is stock. Haven't done anything to the sear or disconnector other than clean and lube.

I have a Nighthawk that's my benchmark for a good trigger and have to admit the Rock is pretty close. Slightly longer reset, a bit of takeup after reset, and slightly heavier pull (4.5lbs vs 5.0lbs), but has a pretty similar glass rod break. Zero creep. Pretty unreal considering I paid $450 for it.

Fit and finish are about what you'd expect from a $450 gun though. Loose and unrefined, but it shoots great and has been reliable since the initial couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I have the same one......I love it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top