Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2017 5:51:10 PM EDT
Last night I was trying out a Wilson 24lb flatwire recoil spring with ball ammo to see if it would work. It did fwiw. When I was installing it, replacing the 20lbs flatwire recoil spring, I installed about a thousand rounds ago I noticed the buffer had some slight tears in it. I've always been opposed to buffers because I don't like the idea of a broken one floating around in there but I decided to try this one because it came with it.

I removed it and shot without it.

I'm just curious if you use a buffer, why or why not?

I doubt I'll replace it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up my first 1911 5'ish months ago. The thought of a buffer never even remotely crossed my mind.

If it can't handle the wear and tear without one, it would have come with one from the get-go.

It's unnecessary, don't replace it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep a buffer in the one 1911 I own. It was used for years as my main pin gun and has shot thousands of rounds of 250gr ammo I used for pin shooting. It is a range toy now so the potential for the buffer tearing off and potentially causing a stoppage doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
They are a cause of more problems then they help. I always remove them if a gun comes with one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I used the CP "white" shock buffs for many years in my .45 1911... at a Fla State match one year, had one cut through and roll which dramatically slowed the slide... made it through the stage, and removed the cut buffer... shot without one for the next 10 years... later switching to a Glock platform
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I refuse to use one on any 1911 that might be used for SD/HD.

I do use them on my original 1911's to keep from beating them up on the occasional range trip.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I've run Wilson Shok-Buffs for many 10's of thousands of rounds in my ole race guns.  I've run 'em til they fell apart and I've never had a problem due to one shok-buff.  I did try something stupid with 2 shok-buffs that didn't work.  I've got no problem using them in a SD pistol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]
used them for over 30 years and never had an issue i change them out around a 1000 rds.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I've yet to have any issues with Wilson Shok-Buffs in any of my Government or Commander models. Having said that, I'm thinking of switching them all over to Harrison flat-bottom firing pin stops in order to slow slide velocity and pulling the buffers out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've yet to have any issues with Wilson Shok-Buffs in any of my Government or Commander models. Having said that, I'm thinking of switching them all over to Harrison flat-bottom firing pin stops in order to slow slide velocity and pulling the buffers out.
View Quote
I put an EGW fbfps in my loaded and it only took about 5 minutes to fit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My EDC Springfield with 45Supers or 460 Rowland uses them just to save on frame battering.

I view it as a necessity. When shooting 45 ball. No. Stupid crazy hot loads. Yes. -
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My EDC Springfield with 45Supers or 460 Rowland uses them just to save on frame battering.

I view it as a necessity. When shooting 45 ball. No. Stupid crazy hot loads. Yes. -
View Quote
I use the Wilson's in my 1911's. Change them every 1K rounds religiously. I run black colored buffers, (can't remember what brand from Brownells or Mid-Way) in my Underfolder, milled receiver AK. It's overgassed, slings empties 12+ yards a lot of the time; I view the buffer as a necessity too because it's my only AK. I love that rifle!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Waste of money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
One more thing to fail.

Want to bet your life?

You are.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried them many years ago when i saw how fast they came apart i knew they weren't for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tried them many years ago when i saw how fast they came apart i knew they weren't for me.
View Quote
Mine has atleast 1000rds on it now and is in remarkably good shape. I'll post here if it ever falls apart. I will run it till it does.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Last night I was trying out a Wilson 24lb flatwire recoil spring with ball ammo to see if it would work. It did fwiw. When I was installing it, replacing the 20lbs flatwire recoil spring, I installed about a thousand rounds ago I noticed the buffer had some slight tears in it. I've always been opposed to buffers because I don't like the idea of a broken one floating around in there but I decided to try this one because it came with it.

I removed it and shot without it.

I'm just curious if you use a buffer, why or why not?

I doubt I'll replace it.
View Quote

I have used Wilson Shok-Bufs since I bought my Delta Elite 10mm in 1991. Of course I'm not a Tier 1 tacticool operator like so many here and I don't get to put 1,000 rounds downrange weekly. For that reason I have ZERO concern about mine suddenly disintegrating and (apparently, according to popular opinion) locking it up like it was welded shut. I check its condition each time I clean the piece and I have plenty of spares. I'd rather have a little extra protection and prevent any possible frame battering from the hot 10mm rounds.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I used the Wilson Shok-Buffs for years and never had a single problem.  

I used 'em because they did slightly help me, to hell with the pistol.  I injured my wrist years ago riding bulls, then took up boxing for 5 years.  

I did a lot of experimenting with 1911s and a shok-buff very slightly increases reliability in a properly functioning 5" 45 by helping to mitigate inertia feeding.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I use one in my Limited gun (widebody RIA 40SW) because I run a really light recoil spring.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If a shock buff is not wearing it probbaly is not doing all that much.

If it is doing a lot it will likely wear badly.

I do not have any 1911s (or other guns) that they appeared to do much in.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#20]
No. Why? No benefits and all riaks. I've seen a few break apart and render guns useless

You don't throw random ahit in your engine, don't do it to your guns

thoae

Those 10 dollar pieces of buffer are the best scam for maf
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I've always used the blue Wilson ones.  Never had a problem, but I've only owned 5" Gov models.

The MEU(SOC) 1911s were always issued with them AFAIK, so you would think they would have ditched them pretty fast if they were causing issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top