Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/19/2017 2:19:17 AM EDT
I joined gunbroker gold membership today.  That enabled me to purchase their gold deal of the day.  Decommissioned USMC M45A1!!

As of this posting 2 are still available, but I hear they are releasing them in batches.

Needless to say, I am pretty excited!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/630989881

Price.. 1350$ plus 50$ gold membership and 20$ shipping+ffl transfer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
aren't these pretty abused and with no warranty. non returnable.  for 2000 you can get one new.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Why is it "decommissioned" so...early? What's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It's my understanding the cerakoted ones got returned to colt bc the coating was coming off.  Now they are using an Ion bond coating.  So Colt released them to be sold to the public.  

You can get a nicer one for a bit more, but thelse are collectible and rare.  Assuming they are legit..
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The original ones colt made for civilian sales matched the USMC ones.  The newer versions have a different rollmark.  The older civilian ones with the Colt USMC rollmark resell for much more than their original msrp.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's my understanding the cerakoted ones got returned to colt bc the coating was coming off.  Now they are using an Ion bond coating.  So Colt released them to be sold to the public.  

You can get a nicer one for a bit more, but thelse are collectible and rare.  Assuming they are legit..
View Quote
This.

I scooped a NIB ion bonded one for less than $1,300 a few months ago.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I caved in and bought the last one that GB had listed in this batch this morning. As a student of military history and a firearms enthusiast, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. If these had gone through the CMP I bet they would have been $2000+.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I just looked again...after there being none for about an hour, there are 49 more listed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.

I scooped a NIB ion bonded one for less than $1,300 a few months ago.
View Quote
A new member of the range brought one in. I really liked it. I was busy and couldn't shoot it but it looked very nice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why is it "decommissioned" so...early? What's wrong with it?
View Quote
Marines are moving away from them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Did some reading in the 1911 forums in the dedicated thread about the M45A1. One thing not discussed in that 19 page thread is the model number of these guns which are 01070CQB-D.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
MARSOC is the only ones that are moving on from them.  They went with the G19.  Recon is still using them.  There were several problems with them.  Its a shame what is happening to them.  But I'm glad that they are available to the civilian market.  I need to pick one up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I ordered one yesterday morning. Couldn't pass up this opportunity to purchase a real USMC 1911. Look forward to getting it.
S/F-
-Len
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did some reading in the 1911 forums in the dedicated thread about the M45A1. One thing not discussed in that 19 page thread is the model number of these guns which are 01070CQB-D.
View Quote
I believe the extra D designation has been added by colt to denote Decommisioned version from the military.  I have no proof of this, but it makes logical sense.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
MARSOC is the only ones that are moving on from them.  They went with the G19.  Recon is still using them.  There were several problems with them.  Its a shame what is happening to them.  But I'm glad that they are available to the civilian market.  I need to pick one up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know Recon had them only MARSOC. Glad to see someone still sticking it out. I would love to get one as well but it is way down the list. I've got some other gun projects to take care of first.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are legit.

Just an FYI: The USMC insignia on the left side of the slide has an "X" that has been laser engraved over it, in order to denote the "decommissioning".
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the heads up. I "pulled the trigger" on one a few minutes ago. I look forward to bringing it out to show my ex-Marine BIL who got out a few months ago at the rank of Colonel. This will be a centerpiece in my collection for sure.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Once again Arfcom has cost me money!

I was thinking of buying one of the newer ones at some point anyway but being a military 1911 kind of guy I couldn't pass it up.

Right before I clicked on it I kind of thought I should get two and sell off the worse one after the supply dries up but I chickened out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:41:29 AM EDT
[#21]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Sucks they laser engraved the X.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Take a long look at the pics and decide if applying paint to a firearm works as well as some think it does.

Pistol + hard polymer holster + dust = aggressive failure of the finish and warranty return.

We've already seen this in the field for over 340 years if you look back on weapons in service with the US military. Clean them daily, wipe out the holster, then traverse dusty roads and maneuver in arid terrain, you get extreme finish wear regardless. It happens to M9's serving MP duty on post at Ft Benning, it's definitely going to be accelerated in the 'Stans.

We have the poster child of painted guns in harsh service and they don't look pretty anymore. Those pics are likely to turn up in future threads on gun finish and it's not going to sell it well. As for the other part of the puzzle, closely fitted polymer holsters are another issue long known to be a problem for retaining finish. It has it's drawbacks fully illustrated.

Colt is getting hammered for a warranty issue that clearly demonstrates the system specs don't work well together. Every one of these guns sold is an example, yet there will be fans who deny it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Friend of mine who recently separated from USMC and was force recon told me he had been using a 2112 built 1911 for many years and hadn't touched a beretta for about ten years. These were just trickling in when he got out. I. Bought one of the production line versions a couple years ago. Very accurate and reliable gun  but quite the brick to carry
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah really destroys the collectible value of it especially to guys who are former Marines and wanted one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah really destroys the collectible value of it especially to guys who are former Marines and wanted one.
View Quote
It appears to be very faint. I ordered one for rareness factor.

And weren't these custom shop guns to begin with?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a fan and I don't deny it

As a matter of fact I'm glad for it or else I would never get a chance to own one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, and the recently laid off head of the CCS has confirmed on another forum that these are the legit real deal.  Earl

Quoted:

It appears to be very faint. I ordered one for rareness factor.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Take a long look at the pics and decide if applying paint to a firearm works as well as some think it does.

Pistol + hard polymer holster + dust = aggressive failure of the finish and warranty return.

We've already seen this in the field for over 340 years if you look back on weapons in service with the US military. Clean them daily, wipe out the holster, then traverse dusty roads and maneuver in arid terrain, you get extreme finish wear regardless. It happens to M9's serving MP duty on post at Ft Benning, it's definitely going to be accelerated in the 'Stans.

We have the poster child of painted guns in harsh service and they don't look pretty anymore. Those pics are likely to turn up in future threads on gun finish and it's not going to sell it well. As for the other part of the puzzle, closely fitted polymer holsters are another issue long known to be a problem for retaining finish. It has it's drawbacks fully illustrated.

Colt is getting hammered for a warranty issue that clearly demonstrates the system specs don't work well together. Every one of these guns sold is an example, yet there will be fans who deny it.
View Quote
They are currently ionbonded.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Appears to be sold out
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Sold out!

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It would only hurt the collector value if someone did it after.

If it's decommisioned gun from the military, it could actually increase its value as that showed is a military issues gun, and not an over run or civilian sales gun.

If there were a bunch of guns released in this manner without the x and some lawyer decoded later on that they needed to have the x then you might have a case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would only hurt the collector value if someone did it after.

If it's decommisioned gun from the military, it could actually increase its value as that showed is a military issues gun, and not an over run or civilian sales gun.

If there were a bunch of guns released in this manner without the x and some lawyer decoded later on that they needed to have the x then you might have a case.
I believe the USMC being 'laser X' will actually help the value/status of these pistols.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I believe the USMC being 'laser X' will actually help the value/status of these pistols.
View Quote
Idk, there are no 'laser X' Marines

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not worried about it in the slightest. Paid about the same price as a current production commercial one.

Like was stated, it would be one thing if there were documented issued ones in the wild without the "X" but there are not.

Want a commercial one that's one thing but these are the only ISSUED ones available and likely will be.

These have more value to me at least than a brand new in the box commercial version of the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not worried about it in the slightest. Paid about the same price as a current production commercial one.

Like was stated, it would be one thing if there were documented issued ones in the wild without the "X" but there are not.

Want a commercial one that's one thing but these are the only ISSUED ones available and likely will be.

These have more value to me at least than a brand new in the box commercial version of the same thing.
View Quote
Exactly. I remember when these first came out and thinking I would love a civilian version but the price was way out of my league at the time. Now I get a former military handgun that has a very good chance of having been in the shit over there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#40]
$1350+ for a beat to shit series 80 1911 ?    
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, guess I should have just bought 3 used Glock 19s or something

We get it, you don't understand, missed out or couldn't  afford one.

Maybe you're just trying to be edgy?

You should see the shape of some of my other GI guns and what I paid for them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I actually feel sorry for you. Sad, really, but you have a good one anyway.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#45]
There's somebody turning a profit on them already here $1699 and almost 7 days left. Probably doesn't even have them in hand yet as it looks like the same pics.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There's somebody turning a profit on them already here $1699 and almost 7 days left. Probably doesn't even have them in hand yet as it looks like the same pics.
View Quote
Yeah, I saw that too. I wonder if it was the guy who bought like 40 of them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Are these coming with the pelican/otis? Or a standard box
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought one for my dad who was in before I was born. He's pretty excited about it. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
No.  The contract guns all came off the standard production line.  

Anyone who thinks otherwise can pull the grips and see if they have CCS stamped under the grips.  No CCS = not a Colt custom shop gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No.  The contract guns all came off the standard production line.  

Anyone who thinks otherwise can pull the grips and see if they have CCS stamped under the grips.  No CCS = not a Colt custom shop gun.
View Quote
Correct. The "civilian" versions of this model, of which I believe there were 50 made, came out of the custom shop. They were $2400 IIRC.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top