Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2017 12:57:43 AM EDT
she's a beaut... can't wait for the drawing of blood from the sharp spur hammer. 

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, if that thing could talk!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If you grip the gun a little low and slide your hand under the grip safety instead of mashing into the top of it you won't get bit. When I shoot a traditional 1911, ( I will give you that I have small not meaty hands) I slide my hand up under the grip safety and never get bit. I will say that is a beauty! Keep in mind WW 1 era 1911's did not have heat treated parts and slides have been said to crack ( I have owned or shot probably a dozen WW one era guns and never an issue) but it is prudent to limit shooting to light loads ( bullseye level reloads a bit milder than factory ball) and start with a fresh recoil spring as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks spray painted.........

Rebuilt at Augusta Arsenal at some time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks spray painted.........

Rebuilt at Augusta Arsenal at some time.
View Quote
it's most definitely not painted. That's the original blue on the slide and frame. The frame is from 1919 and has the black colored blueing prevalent at the time. The slide is from 1914 and has the nicer prewar blue. Yes, it was rebuilt at Augusta and is a mixmaster, like so many others.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you grip the gun a little low and slide your hand under the grip safety instead of mashing into the top of it you won't get bit. When I shoot a traditional 1911, ( I will give you that I have small not meaty hands) I slide my hand up under the grip safety and never get bit. I will say that is a beauty! Keep in mind WW 1 era 1911's did not have heat treated parts and slides have been said to crack ( I have owned or shot probably a dozen WW one era guns and never an issue) but it is prudent to limit shooting to light loads ( bullseye level reloads a bit milder than factory ball) and start with a fresh recoil spring as well.
View Quote
yup, it has all new springs, and I'll be shooting very light lead loads, just like I do with my 1957 national match with the lightened slide. I'll probably settle on some nice 200gr lead round nose, but it feeds 200gr lswc from the mag (WW2 L marked floor plate) just fine. My 200gr loads are with 4gr of clays, so they're very light recoiling and clays is very clean burning.  It won't get shot much, but I do have chunky hands and those old hammers tend to chew up the web of my thumb. I don't care, it's part of the charm. My Argentine sistema 1927s have the same hammer. The barrel to slide lockup is as good as my gold cups, and the bushing fit is excellent, so I expect very good accuracy from it, especially considering that the WW1 barrel has no frosting at all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
awesome

My Grandfather carried this in WWI 1918

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
That's holy grail gun for me. Grandfather was a ChauChat gunner and carried a 1911.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
awesome

My Grandfather carried this in WWI 1918

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG-2146-153766.JPG
View Quote
very cool! I love mine, but it doesn't have that kind of provenance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice!  I have a 1917 but it was refinished at some point in its life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice!  I have a 1917 but it was refinished at some point in its life.
View Quote
thanks, fired her today and she ran flawlessly with 230gr ball and my 200gr lswc loads with 4.0gr of hodgdon clays. Accuracy was excellent too, even with the tiny sights.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Having the mixed parts and a rebuild stamp, it is nearly certain that it was Parkerized during the rebuild. Many thousands of these were overhauled in the early days of WWII.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Love these classics!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome guns guys.  Especially awesome when they stay in the family like that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top