Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2017 11:00:02 PM EDT
So, I wandered across some PT1911's for sale.  9mm, .38 Super, and .45ACP.  Anyone have experience with them?  I currently have a Kimber Stainless II Target that I bought in 2005.  Kind of temped to try the Taurus models, did a quick search for some reviews, and they seemed positive except for the mags.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
People like to hate on Taurus, but if the price is right I'd give it go.

Some guns work out, some don't.

Over the years, I've bought springfields, fn, and glocks, always searching for what was the right tupperware/striker fired pistol for me. I discovered none were, cost me some $$$ to figure that out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had the hammer and the trigger break in half on two separate taures's
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine runs like a top still.  Owned it about 10-years now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had one since 2009 or so, I had a lot of trouble with it and it went back to Taurus for light primer strikes, after it came back it was still a jam-o-magic.

Thankfully after about 500 rounds it sorted itself out. I trust it now, I just don't use Taurus mags.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Three separate taurus handguns have failed on me from breaking parts to a new revolver so out of time you got lead splatter in the face every time you pulled the trigger.
Seen two others fail in person owned by other people.....

Nothing they make should be considered anything but a range toy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#6]
My PT1911 is one of the earlier models (this was back when S&W was bringing out their 1911) and went back to the factory twice, was looked at by a buddy that dicked it up, and was supposed to be fixed by a competent gunsmith. I'm not inclined to shoot it any more nor am I going to sell it because I've got too much money in fixing it than the pistol is worth. It's a range Gun if I ever take it out again.

The problem the pistol had was hammer follow... you know, the hammer would follow the slide forward after it cycled to load a new round into the chamber after firing and get caught in the half-cock detent. This would jam the Gun but prevented it from going full auto. While it would have been nice to have a machine pistol like that, the ATF tends to frown upon things like that. So I tried to get it fixed 3 times. Supposedly it's fixed according to the gunsmith I took it to but I haven't fired it since then.

Personally I won't buy Taurus again. If you do I wish you luck and hope you have a problem free pistol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If I wanted an inexpensive 1911, I'd get another RIA.  I see absolutely no niche for Taurus.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I had one that I really wanted to like. At the time, the features for the money made it a great deal; not so much anymore...RIA and the other Armscor brands are a much better value, and are reliable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Had one.  Never had any issues with it.  Nice trigger, reliable, accurate.  Sold to it to fund an upgrade to a Springer Range Officer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one - great basic pistol for the money.  Not to be compared with Taurus's other pistol or revolver offerings, most of which are crap.  Taurus did a decent job with the PT1911 - it is a great entry-level pistol for the money (provided you get the most basic model at ~$500ish).  It has the features most want, the trigger is pretty good, not the most accurate in the whole world, but acceptable, and mine has been 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Buddy has one and has had no issues with it that I have seen. After many years of selling them and shooting a number of them the only Taurus I would ever buy or recommend would be the PT92 and the 1911.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one that I took in trade on a truck deal.  Your Kimber is a much nicer pistol and I'm not much of a Kimber fan.

At the time I was a 1911 guy and understood them pretty well but the quality was pretty low on the one I had and had some functioning issues when I shot 50 rounds through it.  Sold it to a friend that didn't mind having a project.

I think the Ruger and Desert Eagle offerings are much nicer for not much more money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had a PT1911 for a few years never had any problems with it to date. There was a guy doing a torture test on one IIRC it was in the Taurus forum, he put it through hell, I followed it for a while, it's probably in the archives by now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I've owned two PT1911s years ago and never had a problem with either one. They shot just as good as my two Kimber Pro Carry's and my STI Ranger II. I would have no problem buying another one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top