Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2017 7:53:11 PM EDT
Which middlish 1911 should I buy? I am leaning hard towards a SA Loaded, but I also like the S&W E Series, and the Sig offerings. I had a PT1911 for a short while but that is the only hands on 1911 experience I have. Pistol will be mostly for range use, but I will undoubtedly carry it at some point. I would like to have an ambi-safety (lefty) but can always add one later myself if necessary.

I will probably pick something up this weekend and am just looking for opinions and arguments for /against various makes and models.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
RIA makes several entry level 1911's in several different calibers.  If looking for entry I would start there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the E series is the nicest one you have listed and probably the most expensive also.  David
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the E series is the nicest one you have listed and probably the most expensive also.  David
View Quote

Well, I can get the stainless for +/-$750, the SA for about the same. I am also looking at a Colt Railgun for a little more.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a loaded from the EE. It's my 3rd SA.  I've had a milspec and a stainless loaded champion. I've never had an issue. They all shoot prit near as good as I can.

I've only had the loaded a couple weeks and have 1k rounds through it. I've had 3 failure to feeds from crap cmp mags
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got both an E Series and a SIG  1911 and both of which are accurate and reliable 1911s that I would recommend to a friend.

I believe that most manufacturers turn out good, reliable, 1911s these days which leads folks to recommend what they own.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would reccomend a Springfield. Any one you can get your hands on at a good price. My Loaded has been great, and the recently added GI is also proving to be a fantastic pistol. I've carried the Loaded off and on for years. The GI, unfortunately, is no longer made, but if you can find one its a great stand in for a genuine surplus 1911A1. Loaded on the left, GI on the right.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
The Sig line offers great value unless you're a purist.  There is some trade off unless you get into the traditional line for the contoured slide.  Otherwise you get a boxy slide.  They will come with night sights, series 80 safety, and checkered front strap.  TACOPS is a great value with three mags, threaded barrel, and traditional slide.  

SA Loaded is also a great shooter, series 70, no checkering, maybe night sights depending on model.  Just make sure the barrel is well fitted to the slide with no movement when you press down on the hood, with the magazine out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I currently own an old sa loaded and an e series S&W.    

If i were buying right now it would be the E series. You really can't go wrong with either buy what you like.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#9]
E series or Loaded personally would buy the loaded. I prefer the internal extractor look over the external is the main reason I would take the loaded..
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#10]
My thoughts on this are, as far as best value in a 1911 type pistol:

A) IMHO, the S&W E Series wins out overall as it has a modern look
and feel and is a all stainless steel pistol designed for the long haul,
no need to worry about finish wear and such...very good reviews.

B) The Springfield Loaded is also a very good value overall and I would
look for one made in a stainless steel finish for a low maintenance set-up
with a more traditional 1911 look.

C) Finally, I would look at the Metro Arms American Classic II or Trophy
model in a hard chrome or stainless steel finish,these pistols have proven
to be among the best of the Philippino made 1911 type pistols and represent
a excellent value for the money.

I don't think you can loose with any of the above choices in a 1911 type pistol.

If your budget allows it a Dan Wesson Heritage at Buds GS is THE BEST 1911
for the money period...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Which middlish 1911 should I buy? I am leaning hard towards a SA Loaded, but I also like the S&W E Series, and the Sig offerings. I had a PT1911 for a short while but that is the only hands on 1911 experience I have. Pistol will be mostly for range use, but I will undoubtedly carry it at some point. I would like to have an ambi-safety (lefty) but can always add one later myself if necessary.

I will probably pick something up this weekend and am just looking for opinions and arguments for /against various makes and models.
View Quote

Out of the list, I like the S&W E-series the best.  I have a SS E-series w/ rail, and it is beautiful - the non-rail version at ~$800 is downright cheap for what you get - the E-series is the prettiest of your considerations, by far, and will probably have the best factory trigger.  I don't have much of an opinion on the SA - I found their pistols to be overpriced and always hated their triggers, but recently handled a friend's SA that was very nice all around, so maybe the Loaded model is worth considering.  I've found the Sigs to be surprisingly underwhelming, which was disappointing as I really had my heart set on a STX (which is also VERY pretty) before handling a few of their 1911s.

Edit: Just saw an earlier post - if you can a std frame E-Series for $750, just buy it.  I've never seen one go for less than ~$800, most are ~$850.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm very happy with my SA's and my Sig, don't own any of the S&W E guns, but a buddy's dad has one and I got to shoot it, it's good too.  I'd get whichever of the 3 comes across your plate with the best price and most options you want.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
The Loaded is a great choice but, I would go with RO.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Spend a little more and get a Dan Wesson Heritage. After a month goes by and the money is long forgotten about, you'll be glad you didn't settle for mediocrity.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#15]
SA Loaded or Range Officer would be my choice. I think at just about any price point they compete in SA brings the best bang for the buck and produces a consistently solid product.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Spend a little more and get a Dan Wesson Heritage. After a month goes by and the money is long forgotten about, you'll be glad you didn't settle for mediocrity.
View Quote

There is a killer deal on Dan Wesson Heritage pistols right now. I ordered one from Bud's Gun shop this week . Normally the heritage is straight stainless. These guns have a graphite grey finish on the frame with a black finish slide. With price match and insurance I paid $922 shipped which is a really good price for the heritage. As for sig 1911s I have a couple of those and they are very nice too. On one of those the trigger pull was just ok so I changed out the hammer and sear. Here's the heritage at Bud's.  
DW graphite black heritage

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is a killer deal on Dan Wesson Heritage pistols right now. I ordered one from Bud's Gun shop this week . Normally the heritage is straight stainless. These guns have a graphite grey finish on the frame with a black finish slide. With price match and insurance I paid $922 shipped which is a really good price for the heritage. As for sig 1911s I have a couple of those and they are very nice too. On one of those the trigger pull was just ok so I changed out the hammer and sear. Here's the heritage at Bud's.  

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/20150408_075225_resized.jpg
View Quote

This is a great price on this pistol. If I were in the market for a mid-priced 1911, this would be it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Range Officer would be my choice as well, I have a few in various configurations, really fond of them all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is good advice.

My other favorite is the Desert Eagle 1911s.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Springfield Armory Loaded or Range Officer. Buy a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor to replace the original when it's time, and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is good advice.

My other favorite is the Desert Eagle 1911s.
View Quote

Agreed.  The base model is easily the best 1911 you can buy for the money (~$700) by far, though I'd still get a S&W for a little more just 'cause it's soooo pretty.  I think the DE1911 is a better shooter though (I have both pistols).
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/20150408_075225_resized.jpg
View Quote

That's a good deal.  Do you know what the finish is on it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's a good deal.  Do you know what the finish is on it?
View Quote

Here's from a thread on the 1911 forum. Another color of these guns is bronze and black. One of the employees from Dan Wesson said those were Ionbond on the frame and duty finish on the slide. I am hoping the grey and black versions are the same.

Heritage finish
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#24]
SA Loaded.

It's a great base pistol for future custom work. Forged frame and slide. From a company with history building 1911s.

As a traditionalist, I prefer the internal extractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top