Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 4:37:26 PM EDT
I've read about the pros and cons of the 1911 for using a suppressor. I see their are a few manufactures that make them, Remington (not even close to these others), Nighthawk, and Ed Brown but it does not appear Wilson does. I have a Colt CCU I was thinking of having my smith install a KKM barrel. My question is with the tilting barrel setup is there more than just having a barrel fitted to make it a reliable bullet proof 1911 for suppressors? There is so much wrong or conflicting information on this, I needed a straight forward answer.
Thanks in advance!
Mike
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My question is with the tilting barrel setup is there more than just having a barrel fitted to make it a reliable bullet proof 1911 for suppressors?
View Quote

Maybe if you're unlucky.  I put a Brownells drop-in barrel in my Springfield Mil-spec and it worked with a Tirant.

Glock and Sig and just about everything else has a tilting barrel and they suppress fine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, all three of these work fine:

The top is a TRP with a Storm Lake barrel.  Middle is a factory Remington Enhanced threaded.  Bottom is a Robar Colt Commander I stuck an ADCO cut down Nowlin barrel in.  No spring changes or other tweaks on any of them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you use the sights on those pistols?  Looks really close.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Top two, yes.  Bottom no, but I can shoot "through" the can.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look at the Silencerco's Osprey line. They're "pelican-shaped", i.e. the bulk of the suppressor body hangs below the bore axis. This allows the use of OEM sights on any gun they're on.

As an added bonus, the Osprey line is among THE highest dB reduction rated cans being made currently. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The barrel plays a lot in this..I bought a Storm Lake drop-in for my 1911 and:

From a rest, factory barrel at 30 feet, one big hole in the 3x5 card I was aiming for
From a rest, Storm Lake drop in at 30 feet, all over the 3x5 card
From a rest, Griffin Revo on the Storm Lake barrel, at 30 feet, I wasn't even hitting the card at all; it was randomly way low and left, to way left, to low, to some high, and one eventually nicked an edge of the card.

Maybe it's the barrel and maybe it's my 1911 (and honestly, maybe it's me), who knows. I'll be putting the barrel on the EE soon and sending my 1911 off to Bar-Sto to have them fit the barrel for me. Then I won't have an excuse at all if it won't hit where I'm aiming, can or no can
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Look at the Silencerco's Osprey line. They're "pelican-shaped", i.e. the bulk of the suppressor body hangs below the bore axis. This allows the use of OEM sights on any gun they're on.

As an added bonus, the Osprey line is among THE highest dB reduction rated cans being made currently. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

My .o2
View Quote

No, your not entirely wrong.  I have an Osprey 45 (see avatar pic) as well as my other pistol cans.  Most pistol sights WILL NOT clear the can with an Osprey.  They get close but not quite.  It is a very quiet can and has a nice low tone.  My Octane cans have a higher tone (to my ears) and the Osprey is more pleasing to shoot.  In addition to what I already own I've got a Ghost M still in jail and I'm interested to hear how it sounds.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Most standard pistol sights don't clear my osprey 45 can either. I had a full custom build as a suppressor host for mine using hienie straight 8 suppressor sights and and ed brown barrel. The 1911 runs more reliably then any other gun I shoot suppressed by the way and is super accurate with or without the can on it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most standard pistol sights don't clear my osprey 45 can either. I had a full custom build as a suppressor host for mine using hienie straight 8 suppressor sights. The 1911 runs more reliably then any other gun I shoot suppressed by the.
View Quote

That is a nice setup!  I also find the 1911 to be an excellent suppressor host, plus I just like 1911's so it's a win-win.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Dan Wesson has their discretion line now .... I actually have one being delivered tomorrow

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Watch for deals, I got a Remington threaded barrel for my Springfield Armory 1911 for about $45 during a sale from Midway a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad now I'm going 1911, I would like a rail and I do have a Colt CCU that would make a awesome candidate. I think there lies my answer.
ETA, to add I've got a TiRant 45 and have been using a G21SF, but it's one with the ambi safety and it's having issues so I'm going to get a new lower from Glock than sell it, the suppressed 1911 has always intrigued me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#14]
This is my Remington/AAC with a TiRant 45 on it. No problems with it so far.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dan Wesson has their discretion line now .... I actually have one being delivered tomorrow

http://cdn.danwessonfirearms.com/ourquality/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/DW-Discretion.jpg
View Quote

came to post this..if i had an extra 2k laying around thats where it would go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
No issues with my setup, kimber tle/rl w/ storm lake fitted barrel and an Octane 45.

The storm lake is as accurate as the factory barrel(which was very good).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top