Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2017 12:44:17 AM EDT
Gentlemen,

Sooo... my dad recently picked up a kiln for color case hardening some old Winchester lever action parts.  

I have now decided that I really want a color case hardened 1911.  I haven't decided if I want to do just the frame and blue the slide or color case harden the whole thing.

I think the best way to go would be buy a complete gun.  Right now I'm thinking of using the rock island tac ultra fs hc 9mm.  I know its more modern design doesn't really mesh with the classic theme of case hardening but I think that is kind of cool.

Has anyone done this with there guns?  Advice?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I would use a forged frame gun so there are less imperfections.. A Springfield Mil spec or loaded would probably be a good gun to start with. Cast frames have tendencies to have Voids you may find when preping the finish. Forged frames won't have this issue. Rock Islands are Cast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top