Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2017 12:59:27 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience getting parts smaller than the slide or frame done in QPQ?

I've read that the pins are a no go as they are too small however is it safe to do the MSH and beavertail?

What are you guys using as a finish solution for small parts on QPQ slides and frames? Bluing? How close is the color?

All my parts on the current 1911 I'm putting together are carbon steel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a 1911 nitrided by H&M.  I think they call their process QPQ/Black Nitride.

I had all the steel parts done.  Grip screws, bushings, trigger bits, pins, everything.
The only parts I didn't have nitrided were my night sights, grip panels, springs, and the trigger (aluminum trigger).

I did all the prep work myself (bead blasting and slide polishing), oiled everything to prevent rust during shipping, wrapped it all up with bubble wrap (I put the small parts into a couple little baggies, they didn't scratch each other up or anything).
It probably wasn't necessary, but I used a new set of pins when I sent it in (I fit, assembled, and test fired with different pins) so that the pins getting nitrided were all clean with no scratches, dings, or other marks.

I'm very happy with it.  It doesn't get a lot of use (I mainly carry & shoot glocks), but it's held up fine for a few hundred rounds so far.  I'll put more through it when I pick up a holster for it to shoot it in 3 gun/USPSA.

I don't have any good photos at the moment, but here's a quick camera phone pic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks nice. That would make for a good finish on a carry gun
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a 1911 nitrided by H&M.  I think they call their process QPQ/Black Nitride.

I had all the steel parts done.  Grip screws, bushings, trigger bits, pins, everything.
The only parts I didn't have nitrided were my night sights, grip panels, springs, and the trigger (aluminum trigger).

I did all the prep work myself (bead blasting and slide polishing), oiled everything to prevent rust during shipping, wrapped it all up with bubble wrap (I put the small parts into a couple little baggies, they didn't scratch each other up or anything).
It probably wasn't necessary, but I used a new set of pins when I sent it in (I fit, assembled, and test fired with different pins) so that the pins getting nitrided were all clean with no scratches, dings, or other marks.

I'm very happy with it.  It doesn't get a lot of use (I mainly carry & shoot glocks), but it's held up fine for a few hundred rounds so far.  I'll put more through it when I pick up a holster for it to shoot it in 3 gun/USPSA.

I don't have any good photos at the moment, but here's a quick camera phone pic.
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100005/94289.JPG
View Quote

How much did it cost you?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a coupon to get 1 gun nitrided at a match, so it only cost me shipping both ways.
(overnight+insured both ways, ~$100 total)

I want to say they normally charge $250 for this, but don't quote me on that.
eta:you pay shipping too

Another fuzzy cell phone shot.  I'll get my camera out someday.

I also need to paint/cerakote the trigger once I get set up for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top