Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 5:52:37 AM EDT
I own a couple of 1911's with a two piece guide rod that requires a tool to take down.

Whats the idea behind this as opposed to a FLGR?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
They are easier to remove then some FLGR personally I throw the 2 Piece guide rods in the trash and replace with one piece or a GI rod and spring plug.. 2 Piece Guide rods have a tendency to come loose they are more trouble then they are good IMO.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are easier to remove then some FLGR personally I throw the 2 Piece guide rods in the trash and replace with one piece or a GI rod and spring plug.. 2 Piece Guide rods have a tendency to come loose they are more trouble then they are good IMO.
View Quote

Exactly. Except for the part about being easier to remove,  it's harder to put back together, IMO. The one that came on my Springfield loaded model kept coming loose. I took a class and was getting out my leatherman tool after each stage to tighten it. I finally replaced it with GI parts. I recently got a ria tactical that has a 1 piece flgr I'm not super thrilled, but at least it won't come on screwed while shooting so I'll just keep that one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
personally I throw the 2 Piece guide rods in the trash and replace with one piece or a GI rod and spring plug..
View Quote

FLGRs are a solution waiting for a problem....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 2 piece FLGR are for sure. I have literally 10s of thousands of rounds out of guns with 1 piece FLGR with zero issues to report..
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
a one piece guide rod with hole to capture the spring and plug requires that the ridge on the rear of the spring tunnel be removed so the assembly comes out the rear of the slide... a two piece does not require the ridge to be removed....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
They were sold as a possible way to increase accuracy. I haven't seen any data to support that. What they will do is make it more difficult to break down your pistol.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]
IMO they are "a feature" intended to "increase value" in the mind of the customer.

Other than that they are useless.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had 2 that use flgr's.

My para used a slightly shorter than "full" and an open plug which could be pressed in fairly easily. Takedown was barely any more difficult than a stock pistol. No issues whatsoever from the gun.

The springer I have came to me with a 2pc, that used a 3/16 Allen key. Fuck that thing. While I never had it work loose (300 rds in one day is the most), it was still in the back of my mind. Requiring a tool for takedown was stupid. It did not cause any issues in actual use. It's been replaced by standard Wilson parts, and I've since had no concerns over potential failure.

Im not morally opposed to the flgr, as long as it's a 1pc that can still be taken down like stock (like the para). Otherwise, GI is just fine.

I can imagine there being a perceived advantage by using a flgr, especially if it's heavy metal like tungsten, to counter muzzle rise. From a functional standpoint, I agree that it's a solution waiting for a problem, otherwise I can't fathom how we made it from 1911 to the 80s without incident.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
What I've read is that the purpose was to increase weight to reduce recoil. Kinda weird though to be putting them on so many guns that are marketed as carry guns. When I changed out the system on my Springfield I also changed the recoil spring to what I recall being a S&W OEM spring and I did notice a lot more muzzle flip, don't know if it was the spring or the guide rod weight? I didn't shoot it much, I put a wolf extra power spring in it a few weeks ago and shot it and the recoil felt no different that any of the GI guns I've shot.

The 1 piece flgr on my ria is the short style that allows you to press the plug in ( open end though) and turn the barrel bushing. Takes down the same as a GI gun except it's a little harder on the thumb to press the plug down, I used a flat screw driver to push on the edge.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly I think they look cool.... Lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]
The only time I used full length on a 1911 was to make switch top guns.
It makes it very quick and easy to slider the entire upper off the frame and slide a different one on.
With a ramped barrel.

In less than 30 seconds I can go from .45 ACP to .38 Super. and have the exact same tyrigger feel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I rather like one piece FLGRs but will always get rid of a 2-piece.  I don't want to carry around a hex wrench and I don't want to worry about it unscrewing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The 1 piece flgr on my ria is the short style that allows you to press the plug in ( open end though) and turn the barrel bushing. Takes down the same as a GI gun except it's a little harder on the thumb to press the plug down, I used a flat screw driver to push on the edge.
View Quote

Mag floor plate is a handy tool to use to press the plug down.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Once again, *I* float against the tide.  

I actually prefer the two-piece design. I never had an issue with one coming apart & for those that did, a small bit of green lok-tite or Teflon tape on the threads would solve all issues.

I've heard for years the "lessening of recoil" claim but I've yet to see it, feel it or understand it. What I believe it does is help the recoil spring straight and smooth while compressing and returning. A drop or three of oil on the guide rod allows the spring to move smoothly & that's what I try to do with mine.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've heard for years the "lessening of recoil" claim but I've yet to see it, feel it or understand it.

My .o2
View Quote

Standard FLGR do nothing for recoil.  Some made for the competition games are made out of Tungsten. Those will reduce muzzle flip slightly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Consider this.  Original military 1911 used GI setup.  There is a reason.
I have seen WW1 originals at the range still working like a champ.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Stating original GI is better is a pretty weak argument. We've come a long way since then in machining ability and technologically. I have a 2 piece in my 460R gun because it came with one in the kit from Clark Customs.  I use it regardless of what barrel is installed now. It makes installing the 460 kit much easier. For a run of the mill 1911 a 1 piece ir gi will work fine. My 2 piece has never worked loose at all. one single drop of thread locker on it, allowed to dry, THEN assembled and the threads are plenty tight and I have also had no issues taking it apart.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Why anything but a short GI Guide and Plug?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top