Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2017 1:11:01 AM EDT
I really want a nicer 1911 and had been considering a TRP. I guess it's just hard for me to drop over a grand on a pistol. What makes a TRP worth over a grand. Or a dan Wesson 1911 worth nearly two grand?   Not being sarcastic just want to hear everyone's opinions. I know lots of you here have invested in very nice 1911s.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had 3 DW pistols and a TRP Operator. My current and only DW is a custom Silverback, and the quality of the workmanship is incredible. Is it worth the ~$2000 I spent for it? Yes, it is everything I want in a 1911 and nothing more. I am going to see if I can wear it out over the next 20 years.

My TRP was the most accurate pistol I have ever owned. It too is very well made but not to the standard of the DW. It is not made to be a show piece, but something used every day and relied upon.  It is very much worth the ~$1200 I spent on it.

Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The more money you spend the nicer they look. They should have nicer triggers out of the box. They should feel tighter.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
TRP SS was my first and is my only 1911.  After purchasing and shooting, I do not regret spending $1250 one bit!  Tight and smooth, great trigger, and an even better shooter.  I was deciding between a DW and the TRP, being a lefty the TRP won out for me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]
With the TRP series you are paying for a pistol that has more features (checkering, sights, finish) and hand fitting than a typical production gun. Looking inside the TRP you'll find many of the parts are numbered to match together, which is indicative of a pistol that has received special attention. The vast majority of production 1911s are machined with looser tolerances so that can be assembled rather than being fit/married together by hand.

Dan Wessons, when priced competitively, are in the same ballpark as the TRPs, but you get better quality small parts. Dan Wesson prides themselves on being MIM-free. Whether or not someone feels that is necessary doesn't really matter; there is a cost associated with the deletion of MIM.

For me, Les Baer is where I find nirvana for a hand fitted pistol. They feel like one solid piece of metal rather than a conglomeration of parts. They don't cost that much more than a DW, which for me places both the TRP and DW guns in an uncomfy price bracket. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the input thus far. I'm really leaning towards a TRP. I did find a DW professional in stainless but in 9 for $1,200 local.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
No doubt the TRP is a nice pistol.  Ive had one for several years.  But a DW without all the "tacital" roll marking crap would appeal to me more for not much more money.  And the attention to detail is probably better by a fair margin.  The TRP is a fine pistol, though, and probably better than about any other production 1911 out there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I like mine and, yes, it was worth the money.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
TRP no rail is well worth the money, you should be able to find in the 1200 range.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried a TRP as a duty gun and sold it to help finance a move when I retired.  Now after getting settled in after several years without a 1911, treated myself to a SA Pro.  For me, the TRP made me look like a great shooter as does the Pro.  I'll take putting a select few bullets where they need to go vs. spray and pray.  I attended a SA Armorer's class several years ago so I was sold on SA from there on out.  The discount from the class didn't hurt either.  The customer service from SA is top notch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carried a TRP as a duty gun and sold it to help finance a move when I retired.  Now after getting settled in after several years without a 1911, treated myself to a SA Pro.  For me, the TRP made me look like a great shooter as does the Pro.  I'll take putting a select few bullets where they need to go vs. spray and pray.  I attended a SA Armorer's class several years ago so I was sold on SA from there on out.  The discount from the class didn't hurt either.  The customer service from SA is top notch.
View Quote

Agree 100% on their customer service, maybe the best in the business.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I went through this same dilemma about three weeks ago.  I was lucky enough to have a local shop with TRPs and a large selection of Dan Wessons in stock.

I hemmed and hawed, and made about three visits.  I finally decided on a Valor in duty finish.  It set me back right at $1700 including tax.  I have no regrets.  The TRP was absolutely no slouch, I just preferred the finer front strap checkering on the DW vs the more coarse on the TRP.

It's really a win-win situation.  Both options would serve you perfectly.  I think it just comes down to handling both and seeing which jumps out at you.  The only change I'd like to make to my Wesson would be to add a magwell (which the TRP has, btw), but I have to find one in a matching finish first.  

These are good problems to have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
My TRP Operator has been one of the best decisions I have made.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's my Dan Wesson Silverback

This was my TRP and a 5 round group that was shot at 50 yards from a rest. Before you think I'm bragging, I am not.  I never shot like this before or since. Can't claim credit for a "stars and planets in a perfect line" group that was definitely an aberration.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#14]
In just to mirror what all the other posters said. Better fit/finish. Great out of the box trigger and accuracy. The first handgun I ever owned was a Kimber. Loved that gun, but I had to sell it. Fast forward a few years later, and I really wanted to get a new 1911. Fell in love with the TRP for whatever reason. Shot my buddy's and ordered one the next day. What a great gun! I'm by no means a good shot with a pistol, and I can shoot that thing for groups!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#15]
The Springfield TRP is a superb pistol for the money it costs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's my Dan Wesson Silverback

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/monadhclann/IMG_5645_zps2vvrbuz1.jpg

This was my TRP and a 5 round group that was shot at 50 yards from a rest. Before you think I'm bragging, I am not.  I never shot like this before or since. Can't claim credit for a "stars and planets in a perfect line" group that was definitely an aberration.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/monadhclann/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps478a5515.jpg
View Quote

Nice group with the TRP!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#17]
My TRP is my go to handgun for everything but EDC. I have used and abused it and it shoots well. If I could I would get a second one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Love my TRP and would buy another in a second.  Here she is on top with a Storm Lake threaded barrel:

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really want a nicer 1911 and had been considering a TRP. I guess it's just hard for me to drop over a grand on a pistol. What makes a TRP worth over a grand. Or a dan Wesson 1911 worth nearly two grand?   Not being sarcastic just want to hear everyone's opinions. I know lots of you here have invested in very nice 1911s.
View Quote

A bunch of money. I have several 1911s and historically never paid over 600.00 or so. Had to have me a Colt. Paid a spit over a 1,000.00 for a new one in 2014. A year or so later the same one could be purchased for around 850.00. Oh well. About 18 months later I bought the CZ1911 A1 for 702.00 shipped. I find it to be much more the pistol than the Colt. Meaning I "guess" the Colt could fetch mid 800s (not from me) but a thousand? No way. About this time last year I ordered a DW Valor in stainless From Dave Severns.. Can't really remember; somewhere between 1400.00 and 1600.00. Upon receipt I understood how 1911s could be pricey. Just an incredible pistol from finish, to attention to detail, to function, accuracy, all that. So yeah, sometimes you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
It's your money, you decide if it's worth the cost.

I have a Sig 1911 that I have had no problems with, it shoots every time. I also have Wilsons which are more than three times the cost of the Sig. They both go bang every time, the Wilsons are just far superior in every what way compared to the Sig.

The Sig trigger is somewhat gritty and the Wilson is delicate and almost fragile. The Sigs fit jiggles around and the Wilson seems to be a flawlessly fitted and tight gun. When you rack the Sig the spring makes noises and the metals seem to grind somewhere within the frame. The Wilsons tend to feel like they are made on ball bearings.

Both guns still shoot bullets just fine if all you care about is whether the bullets will fly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I started my 1911 adventures with a plain jane loaded Springfield years ago. Good gun, but it was on the list of first pistols to sell / trade. Which I did.

Picked up a TRP a couple years ago. Shot phenomenal, and fit and finish was noticeably better than the loaded. No complaints at all. Swapped the grips over to Hogue cocobolo and fed it with Wilson mags.

Sent the TRP to Nighthawk Custom (buddy of mine works there), for a little loving. Match grade barrel and bushing, long solid trigger with action work, single safety, and GI recoil stuff is what I wanted. They did a little extra fitting on the slide and frame and tuned the ejector up for free.

Now, a perfectly good 1911 is mind blowingly awesome and still less than a full blown custom. Test target was 1 hole at 25 yards. Gun makes anyone who shoots it look good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I have two TRP's one I bought brand new and another used one I got a pretty good deal on.  IMHO as you step up from the TRP the return for dollars spent falls off pretty quickly.  Mine get shot a lot and have been 100% reliable.  That being said, I still want a Pro some day :P
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#23]
A Dan Wesson Heritage is less expensive than a Valor or TRP. The Heritage or Valor have no mim parts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I've owned three TRPs.  First one was stainless and ridiculously tight.  I was offered a good trade for it and off it went.  But it was just too tight, almost felt like the stainless steel was galling to itself.

Next two were blued and disappointments.  One was loosey goosey to the point of embarassing to call itself a TRP.  All three I bought used which probably didn't help as they were likely offloaded by their prior owners.  But none of them had high round counts.

I got a great deal on a used Valor, $1250 or so.  I think its twice the gun of a TRP.  Its much closer to an Ed Brown regarding fit and finish than any TRP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top