Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 9:15:01 PM EDT
So I picked up my first 1911 today, a Ruger Full size. After a breakdown and lube I took it to the range and ran 200 rds of Blazer brass through it. About 7-8 times I experienced a failure to go into battery by about 1/2".  

It was not magazine specific.  I used the two supplied Ruger mags and a 10rd power mag. Each time it happened I visually inspected the round and it had a very slight crease/scrape where I guess it stopped. I would guess it is hanging up of the feed ramps at some point but 1911's are more to me.  Before I call Ruger who I know will take care of me I thought I'd ask here. Here is a pic of one of the rounds that failed to feed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Loosen [de-tension] the extractor slightly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Loosen [de-tension] the extractor slightly.
View Quote
You tube is your friend on this one. 
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotcha. That doesn't look to hard. I'm new to this so thank you. So just go a little at a time and try shooting some more?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Gotcha. That doesn't look to hard. I'm new to this so thank you. So just go a little at a time and try shooting some more?
View Quote

Yep, just de-tension it a little bit, it doesn't need much. It's better to do it in several steps VS one big one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed to much extractor tension..
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I would thoroughly lubricate and shoot more before messing with the tension. Some 1911's take longer than others to wear in. If you still have consistent issues after the next 200 rds then I would consider loosening the tension.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would thoroughly lubricate and shoot more before messing with the tension. Some 1911's take longer than others to wear in. If you still have consistent issues after the next 200 rds then I would consider loosening the tension.
View Quote

This. 

A friend bought a new SA MilSpec, with which he had problems from his very first range trip. It wouldn't fully return to battery.

He brought it by the house, and a quick look-over discovered that the slide rails were bone dry. We cleaned it, and I put a very small dab of Rig +P grease on the frame rails ( and also replaced his OEM locking MSH with a spare USGI MSH). He went right back out, and called back to say that the problem was gone!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This. 

A friend bought a new SA MilSpec, with which he had problems from his very first range trip. It wouldn't fully return to battery.

He brought it by the house, and a quick look-over discovered that the slide rails were bone dry. We cleaned it, and I put a very small dab of Rig +P grease on the frame rails ( and also replaced his OEM locking MSH with a spare USGI MSH). He went right back out, and called back to say that the problem was gone!
View Quote

I had it lubed up generously with slip 2000 oil. I use Rig on my M&P's rails but have always been told oil oil oil for 1911's.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:43:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Might check for rough edges on slide and rails.     Usually a good idea to polish the feed ramp.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't touch the feedramp as that could void the warranty.  I would check extractor tension.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot 50 to 100 rounds and see if the problem goes away. If not, before changing extractor tension, take the slide off and check the tension (as seen on youtube). At that point it should be very clear if it is a tension issue.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]
There's an old adage, if it turns oil it, if it slides grease it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been using Slip 2000 EWL on 1911s for years. It's not a lube issue. I recommend starting with checking the extractor tension.

Wilson Combat - Checking the Extractor Tension in your 1911
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Judging by the way the cartridge was retained in that video mine is much tighter.  I'm going to do a detail strip and debur this weekend and very lightly loosen the tension on the extractor and hit the range on Monday to see if that helps.  Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Will the too much tension failure to feed show itself in cycling the gun with dummy rounds?  I did some tuning of the extractor and want to see if the problem is better before I hit the range tomorrow, but I'm not sure hand cycling will replicate the issue.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Hand cycling will not really tell you any thing need to shoot it
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Understood.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Today I put another 300 rds through it having de tensioned the extractor some.  I had one similar failure in those three hundred that was no way near severe as before.  Very light pressure to the slide and it went into battery.  I pulled the round out the chamber and there wasn't even a mark on the brass.  Obviously this is an improvement over the first range visit, but should I de tension the extractor just ever so slightly more or let it work itself out from here?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I would let it work itself out and pickup a new recoil spring before you head to the range again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#20]
A new spring already?  Do you think my spring was weak to begin with?  It probably wouldn't hurt to have a spare around so learn me on replacement springs please.  I see so may "tuning" spring weights around here.  What is the standard?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Recoil springs are good for about 5,000 most change out sooner.  I go by overall length ISMI has a chart.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Checking and adjusting extractor tension is the first thing I do with any 1911.  More often than not, they are set too loose or too tight.  

In your specific case, I suspect the barrel feed ramp may benefit from a light rollover radius at the top.   Need a good photo of the barrel to know for sure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Recoil springs are good for about 5,000 most change out sooner.  I go by overall length ISMI has a chart.
View Quote

As stated before I am new to 1911's so I am learning.  Why do 1911 springs have such a shorter life span than modern autos?  Is it slide mass or something like that?  I've always changed out my other auto recoil springs when they fail but that is always 10000 rds or more.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#24]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As stated before I am new to 1911's so I am learning.  Why do 1911 springs have such a shorter life span than modern autos?  Is it slide mass or something like that?  I've always changed out my other auto recoil springs when they fail but that is always 10000 rds or more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite honestly, most people run recoil springs in all pistol makes well past their lifespan. In a 1911, if you don't count rounds, one changes the recoil spring when it's length is reduced 1/2 -3/4 of an inch. The quality of the spring is a huge part of it, I've seen some Springfield springs in the early/mid 2000's last less then 500 rounds before they lost an incredible amount of tension and just went 'flat.' Personally, I use Wolff springs only, I doubt almost any gun manufacturer you can name actually makes their own springs, they source from a company that pretty much makes springs and only springs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been able to get over 5000 rounds from a 1911 recoil spring but I swap them a little more often because they are cheap and aid in reliability.

16lb. is the standard for 5"/government recoil springs.

What magazines are you using?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have been able to get over 5000 rounds from a 1911 recoil spring but I swap them a little more often because they are cheap and aid in reliability.

View Quote

So far the two supplied Ruger Mags 7 & 8 rd and a 10rd CMC Powermag.  I just picked up another 2 10 rounders and 3 8 rounder CMC mags from Midway.

ETA:  Sounds like Wolff is the go for replacement springs?  I have used them in other guns with great results.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So far the two supplied Ruger Mags 7 & 8 rd and a 10rd CMC Powermag.  I just picked up another 2 10 rounders and 3 8 rounder CMC mags from Midway.

ETA:  Sounds like Wolff is the go for replacement springs?  I have used them in other guns with great results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolff are great, I'd bet a significant portion of the ''big name'' spring sellers are using re-branded Wolff springs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#29]
standard on the ruger is 18# . when i got mine the first thing i thought was " dang this is a strong spring".  i put a 13# in it and its ran 100% with it .
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
standard on the ruger is 18# .
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#31]
What would be the benefits/downside to going to a "standard" 16# spring vs the Ruger 18#?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:40:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Wolfe Gun Springs

TM 9-1005-211-35

Arfcom 1911 Resource Page

I hope you these are useful to you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shoot 50 to 100 rounds and see if the problem goes away. If not, before changing extractor tension, take the slide off and check the tension (as seen on youtube). At that point it should be very clear if it is a tension issue.
View Quote

This.

Or, if none of that works, return it to Ruger with a note telling them to "Fix it!"   -  or you'll just declare it to be a "lemon," get your money refunded, and then buy the make of 1911 that comes with a Pony on it.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#34]
So I finally got back to the range today and perfect through 300 rds.  I did just a tiny tweaking after the last trip and it was flawless. Thank you for the good advice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top