Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 10:33:46 AM EDT
Give your opinion of your favorite 1911 that a guy could buy for under $1600.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Used Les Baer
Dan Wesson
Springfield TRP
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
New...or used as well?

New you are probably looking at the Springfield TRP or Dan Wesson Valor.

Used you can find Les Baer TRS's and Wilson Combat CQB's.

You could also buy a $600 pistol like a Springfield Mil-Spec or used Colt and invest $1000 of custom work into the pistol.  Or something like a Colt Rail Gun and $600 of custom work.

I'd look for a used Les Baer TRS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt SCG Carry

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Dan Wesson Valor or V-BOB.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
TRP or TRS

IMO
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dan Wesson Valor or V-BOB.

This, but they're $1600 and flying out the door out my way.  No discounts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Springfield Operator (+Mags, Grips, Custom work)
Springfield TRP (+Mags)

Used CQB
Used TRS.

I wound up going the used TRS route (twice), but all those others would be good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Given the premise that you could find the right used gun, and it is going for historical values, this is the what I would expect to see:

Wilson CQB (used): $1700-1900
Colt Special Combat Gov't Carry: $1700*
Les Baer TRS (used): $1500-1600
Colt Special Combat Gov't: $1500
Springfield TRP: $1500
Dan Wesson Valor: $1300**
Kimber Warrior: $1200

Look at the feature sets, and decide for yourself which is the best "value."

* Good luck finding one.
** It appears my estimate of the DW is outdated.  Current prices are higher than when I have seen them in the past.

In MY estimation, I cannot say enough how much I love the GRIP of my Les Baer.  The high-cut and checkered front strap is amazing, along with the high-rise beavertail grip safety and perfectly positioned thumb safety––which is strong-side only.  It comes standard with front cocking serrations and night sights.  Combine that with the thin grips on the TRS, and that pistol has the makings of the PERFECT defensive handgun.  

Perhaps the CQB would be its equal.  No doubt the Springfield TRP is a more easily found substitute...but it is just that, a substitute.  The Colt offerings are great guns, but they have the standard Colt grip, which means my hand sits low under the triggerguard, and no front strap checkering.  This would have to be remedied, as a solid purchase on the grip is essential.  This could be 'fixed' by the application of "skateboard tape", but it is a poor substitute for 30 lpi checkering.  This isn't to say I don't want a Colt SCG, because I do!  The Carry model is blued, and comes with night sights.  It is pictured above and is dead-sexy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Id stretch the 1600 about 85 bucks and get a Les Baer Custom Carry or the Concept 1 if I could live without frontstrap checkering.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Id stretch the 1600 about 85 bucks and get a Les Baer Custom Carry or the Concept 1 if I could live without frontstrap checkering.

LB Custom Carry:

High checkered front strap @30 lpi

You're right about the Concept I.  It does not come with a checkered front strap.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#11]
well I got my Springfield 1911 Loaded model for 850 and that thing has never had a single issue... love it
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just bought one today from John at Proload. $1665? I think was the price, it was $1600 something. I just heard I had a Custom Carry with no FCS and I was all over it. Thats shipped with no CC fee. Cant beat that with a stick.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I would throw a Dan Wesson CCO in there.....they are phenomenal.  It's not a true bobtail, but it's not far off, either.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just bought one today from John at Proload. $1665? I think was the price, it was $1600 something. I just heard I had a Custom Carry with no FCS and I was all over it. Thats shipped with no CC fee. Cant beat that with a stick.

Its probably the best deal out there. Its a TRS more or less with an ambi-safety, regular stocks, 1 mag and serrated versus checkered mainspring housing. I wish I would have bought it instead of the TRS. Since the Baer mags suck, I changed to a Smith and Alexander magwell MS housing and put Ahrends cocobolo stocks on it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Something with STI on the side?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Its probably the best deal out there. Its a TRS more or less with an ambi-safety, regular stocks, 1 mag and serrated versus checkered mainspring housing. I wish I would have bought it instead of the TRS. Since the Baer mags suck, I changed to a Smith and Alexander magwell MS housing and put Ahrends cocobolo stocks on it.

Seriously?  I thought you loved your TRS?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously? I thought you loved your TRS?

I do but the differences that make the TRS cost an extra 200 bucks I changed. Well except I got the 3rd mag and TRO serial number.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why is it that I cannot find a CQB for around $1,600.  Every sidearm I see listed on multiple sites the owner has run 500-1200 rounds through and wants $150 less than I can pick one up for new.    

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Something with STI on the side?

THIS

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is it that I cannot find a CQB for around $1,600.  Every sidearm I see listed on multiple sites the owner has run 500-1200 rounds through and wants $150 less than I can pick one up for new.    

They're out there.  They seem to move in phases, though.  Some months, they can sit there for weeks at a time around $1600, and other times they will move right along.  You just have to move quick when you see them.  

Personally, my belief is that you're more apt to get a deal in the winter; folks are paying off Christmas and not shooting very much during the cold weather.    During the summer, when people tend to have a little more money to play with and want to show off something nice at the range, they will sell a bit faster
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Baer, new or used, depending on the deal you can find.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted: Used you can find Les Baer TRS's and Wilson Combat CQB's.

They're out there.  They seem to move in phases, though.  Some months, they can sit there for weeks at a time around $1600, and other times they will move right along.  You just have to move quick when you see them.  

Personally, my belief is that you're more apt to get a deal in the winter; folks are paying off Christmas and not shooting very much during the cold weather.    During the summer, when people tend to have a little more money to play with and want to show off something nice at the range, they will sell a bit faster
Well, they must be all in Tennessee as I never see them in any Central Indiana gun shop. In fact, I have never personally held or even seen a Wilson, Baer or Nighthawk, etc 1911.  

I see Colts, Kimbers, Taurus, SA, S&W, STI, RIA, Norinco and SIG but no high dollar semi-customs. I do have three Colts modified by Bob Miller, however. I guess you just have to believe.

(A friend of mine does have a Colt that's been done over by Wilson, though. It shoots great ! )

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]
US Property marked 1911, they don't make 'em anymore.  /thread.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, they must be all in Tennessee as I never see them in any Central Indiana gun shop. In fact, I have never personally held or even seen a Wilson, Baer or Nighthawk, etc 1911.    
I see Colts, Kimbers, Taurus, SA, S&W, STI, RIA, Norinco and SIG but no high dollar semi-customs. I do have three Colts modified by Bob Miller, however. I guess you just have to believe.
(A friend of mine does have a Colt that's been done over by Wilson, though. It shoots great ! )

Around here I've seen about 3 or 4 used CQBs in the past 10 years, one of which I bought.   2 or 3 used Baers, 1 of which I bought.  Maybe 2 used Nighthawks.  They can be commonly found on Gunbroker, though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is it that I cannot find a CQB for around $1,600. Every sidearm I see listed on multiple sites the owner has run 500-1200 rounds through and wants $150 less than I can pick one up for new.

They're out there. They seem to move in phases, though. Some months, they can sit there for weeks at a time around $1600, and other times they will move right along. You just have to move quick when you see them.

Personally, my belief is that you're more apt to get a deal in the winter; folks are paying off Christmas and not shooting very much during the cold weather. During the summer, when people tend to have a little more money to play with and want to show off something nice at the range, they will sell a bit faster

Around here I've seen about 3 or 4 used CQBs in the past 10 years, one of which I bought. 2 or 3 used Baers, 1 of which I bought. Maybe 2 used Nighthawks. They can be commonly found on Gunbroker, though.

Weird thing, I come across either 1996A2's or Supergrades. The low end or the high end when it comes to Wilsons. Well the 1996A2's dont show up much anymore.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Springfield TRP.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I really like my Kimber TLE II, its stayed true for me and been abused. My TRP has had a lot of issues over the course of owning it. Extractor failure mostly. It seems to be very picky about magazines brands too. I have the rail version and those god awful adjustable sights are not easily replaced.. Ive also had a hard time keeping it from rusting. I want to try out their other 1911s but my TRP has made me a bit weary. I have a minor collection of 1911s and never seen issues like I have with the Springfield. Flame away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top