Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2002 6:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medcop]
This is a FAQ list to some of the most common questions.  This list was compiled using the internet.  I will expand it in the weeks to come to include history, more details, and pictures of the Makarov family of firearms.

How do I pronounce "Makarov?"
The correct pronunciation of Makarov is actually "Mah KAR ahv" and not the more frequently heard "MACK uh rahv."

Where did Makarovs come from and what types are there?
Russia
East Germany
China
Bulgaria
Germany (post-unification)

What's my Makarov worth?
The price list is not set in stone.  It all depends on what the buyer and seller agree upon.  Also keep in mind that the market changes often
*East German: $175 - $250
*Bulgarian military or police: $125 - $175
*Bulgarian Miltex "Special Edition": $200 - $300 depending on finish.
*Norinco Type 59: $200 - $275
*Russian Military: $175 - $225
*Russian commercial (IJ-70, fixed rear sight, single stack magazine, 9x18M or .380 ACP, blued): $150 - $200
*Russian commercial high capacity (IJ-70-18H or IJ-70-17H): $150 - $225 Note: 12-round magazines add about $45 each to the value
*Russian commercial, "satin" stainless steel: $200 - $300. About 15,000 were imported.
*Russian commercial, nickel: $200 - $300. About 15,000 were imported. The finish on these is VERY thin.
*Simson-Suhl German Makarov: $275 - $400.

Which Makarovs are considered Curios and Relics?
The list of C&R weapons includes both the East German and Russian Makarovs, the general consensus is that only the original Russian military Makarovs are included among the Russian guns. That is, the commercially produced Baikal IJ-70 with a rear target sight does not qualify under the spirit of the C&R law.  
The Bulgarian (including Miltex), Chinese, and Simson-Suhl are not considered curio & relics.

Will 8-round magazines fit into the high-capacity Makarov?
Yes, they will fit and function. However, they may be loose at the base.

Can I change my 8-round Makarov to accept high-capacity 10 and 12 round magazines?
No.  The 10 and 12 round magazines are wider and can only be accepted by the Russian commercial IJ-70-18AH and 17AH (or similar) wide-grip Makarovs.  Short of altering the frame, there is no way to use these in standard 8-round Makarovs.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top