Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2017 10:15:03 PM EDT
I want an accurate and reliable surplus handgun. What should I look for?

BTW - This isn't the first time I purchased a firearm just because ammo fell in my lap.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Ideally East German, but all the others are good too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Cz82
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, if it's just the bullets for reloading, I would try to sell them off. Brass for the 9x18 isn't very common, and by the time you invest ~$120 for 1000 pieces of brass, you could have bought about 500 rounds of steel cased ammo.

However, if you're set on purchasing a pistol for it, I would say an East German PM would be the top of the list (best fit and finish of the makarovs) or a Bulgarian Makarov being the more economical choice. For an East German, I would expect to pay in the $400-$450 range for one. A Bulgarian can be had for as low as $250 if you look hard enough and $300 if you get them from an online dealer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#4]
I shopped a little and the CZ82 seems like a nice pistol. I need another handgun like I need a hole in my head. Selling the bullets makes more sense overall. I found 500 new cases for $80.00 and once fired for much cheaper. I wouldn't need 1000 pieces of brass
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Burlin] [#5]
Some will say the East Germans are the best Makarovs. I won't doubt them, but truth is, the lot of Bulgarian Arsenal Circle 10 Makarovs out now are in unissued condition and are a fantastic buy. Here is mine:

These are extremely reliable guns. The one you see here has been fired 3000 times with absolutely no stoppages at all. They are reliable, rugged, accurate, and handy little guns. They might not be quite as well made as the East German ones, but they're every bit as reliable and effective. You won't find a better buy than one of these unissued military Bulgarian Makarovs right now. These were meant for the Slovenian army in the 1990s and have been imported in large quantities lately, but they're drying up. Get one soon or you'll be missing out!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned Germans, Chinese, Soviet military, two Baikals, and a slew of Bulgarians. Of them all, the Germans are the best in terms of fit and finish on the gun. The trigger pull is typically smoother as well as the action. They are great shooters and one I was able to break a 4" clay pigeon at 100 yards standing with. That being said, you will usually spend a little more on one in the $400-$450 range because of it. The Bulgarians are the best buy out there right now in the $250-$340 range, and most of what is in stock seems to be unissued ones. I think Southern Ohio Gun (SOG) has them still for around $300. From the ones that I've had, the trigger pull quality has ranged from "fairly heavy & gritty" to "just about like an East German."
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my Polish P-64. It's built like a tank but is an elegant PPK-shaped shooter with a superb trigger.

The front sight is so tiny that I can barely see it, but the gun aims itself into tight groups at the center of the target.

It's a magic pistol. I shoot it a lot. And it loves cheap steelcased Russian ammo, so I don't reload for it anymore.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Bulgys are great.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Adriana] [#9]
Buy one of the unissued military Bulgarians before they dry up and prices climb, they were hovering at $300 with two mags but there are signs supply is about gone. Some will go on about the EG Maks but I've found them to be equal to the Bulgarians.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
A CZ-82
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:29:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#11]
The Bulgarian Maks are just as good as the East German other than maybe a tad bit less polish. Buy one of the unissued Bulgarians with confidence.

FWIW- I picked up one of the recent unissued "Bulgarians" and it turned out to be a Russian (Izhevsk)
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Makarov:
The Bulgarian Maks are just as good as the East German other than maybe a tad bit less polish. Buy one of the unissued Bulgarians with confidence.

FWIW- I picked up one of the recent unissued "Bulgarians" and it turned out to be a Russian (Izhevsk)
View Quote
I wasn't lucky enough for a Russian sneak, but my recently-acquired Bulgy looks extremely clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top