Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2016 10:11:58 PM EDT
I've had my DDR Mak for ever and been thinking of getting more mags for it and having Novak style sights installed. Am I crazy and stupid? I know DDR Maks aren't exactly easy to find but I don't ever plan on selling it anyways.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:11:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#2]
I don't see why not. If you don't care for the historical piece and do not plan to sell it, then make it what you want for the job. Is it a tool or a piece of art to you? My mak is a tool so I did but my Luger is a piece of art so I wouldn't on that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Please don't do that to a DDR Mak.  Find a beat-up Bulgy if you want a carry piece.
View Quote

Bulgarian guns are "meh". The DDR Mak is smooth and well made. Mine was made in 1961.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If I do it.... do something like this.

Sure, the DDR Mak is "rare". But the quality is amazingly smooth. Mine is a commercial milsurp import that's been import stamped. 
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Chances are you won't use the sights in a CCW confrontation.  Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
If I do it.... do something like this.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/NewMAKBEASTGRN1.jpg

Sure, the DDR Mak is "rare". But the quality is amazingly smooth. Mine is a commercial milsurp import that's been import stamped. 
View Quote

That looks badass
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

That looks badass
View Quote

Be awesome with some HD sights.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:27:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fury413rb] [#8]
I have a Russian Commercial Import with adjustable target sights from the factory. Its immaculate.

I would trade you or advise you to look out for one.

I have all three and I hardly think a nice bulgarian is meh. The finish itself may be nicer on the DDR pistols but unless you bought a worn out bulgy I dont see any functional or smoothness differences between mine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dwcopple:
Chances are you won't use the sights in a CCW confrontation.  Leave it alone.
View Quote
Agree. 3 yards is going to be your average distance. You will not even know sights are there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#12]
They are kind of crap for a CCW. Too heavy, same size as a modern single-stack 9mm, and their round is mediocre. They tend to rust faster than anything modern due to the finish. I tried it and it sucked. 

For the cost of converting it into a mediocre CCW gun you could buy a decent 9mm subcompact. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
They are kind of crap for a CCW. Too heavy, same size as a modern single-stack 9mm, and their round is mediocre. They tend to rust faster than anything modern due to the finish. I tried it and it sucked. 

For the cost of converting it into a mediocre CCW gun you could buy a decent 9mm subcompact. 
View Quote
You mean like G26, G43, Ruger LC9s, S&W 6904 and 3913, etc....  

Not everything I have needs a reason to have. Sometimes I carry the Mak just because I can.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Replacing the grips with the E. German grips is a recommended upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By texashomeserver:

Replacing the grips with the E. German grips is a recommended upgrade.
View Quote
I have them in a box somewhere. 
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#16]
My DDR Mak shoots like a laser beam, and I’ve been carrying it in an old Alien Gear Hybrid IWB for a few years now. I haven’t modified it at all and don’t really feel any need to. It’s a great summertime carry gun and is small and light enough for me, at least compared to my usual carry piece, a Colt Commander.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve got an E German Mak and a Bulgarian. The German Mak is a work of art, 1962 manufacture, natural point of aim pistol. The Bulgarian is not a work of art, but still is a great shooter, prints tight groups.

I (and others) may or may not have carried Maks on TDY, leaving our bulky issued pistols at home.  That’s how good the Makarov pistol is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top