Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2016 11:16:06 AM EDT
Who in the Red Army was issued a Makarov? Was it only officers, NCOs, did any of the lower ranks carry them?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#1]
http://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf
soviet mtoe

section 5 has what  you seek
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hellmann9655:
http://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf
soviet mtoe

section 5 has what  you seek
View Quote

I looked through the section which describes the Makarov, section 5-2, and I was not able to find any information about who was issued  a pistol. It only had technical specs. I actually own that book, btw. Great read!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Chapter 4
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Adriana:
Chapter 4
View Quote

Thanks! I wasn't looking for a research project, but I got one nonetheless. Interestingly, it doesn't look like any foot soldiers carried them in addition to a Kalashnikov. Mostly just officers and political officers, RPG operators, tankers, drivers, and the like.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I served as private and Sargeant 1991-1993 in Internal affair ministry forces first USSR and later republic of Moldova. Unit responsible for transportation of inmates from jail to court or other jail.
We were never carrying any arms unless on active assignment while actually interacting with inmates.
While on duty we were issued makarov with two mags and 16 rounds of ammo. In addition depending on amount of inmates one or two ak47 were issued to a designated support guards.
Same applies to officers. Higher ranked officers were carrying either makarov or smaller PSM.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Amundsen:
I served as private and Sargeant 1991-1993 in Internal affair ministry forces first USSR and later republic of Moldova. Unit responsible for transportation of inmates from jail to court or other jail.
We were never carrying any arms unless on active assignment while actually interacting with inmates.
While on duty we were issued makarov with two mags and 16 rounds of ammo. In addition depending on amount of inmates one or two ak47 were issued to a designated support guards.
Same applies to officers. Higher ranked officers were carrying either makarov or smaller PSM.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Amundsen:
View Quote
Interesting
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#8]
Not exactly in the scope of your question, but I've seen officers in the Afghan National Police with Makarov pistols, and enlisted personnel on a Provincial governor's security detail with them.  I assume they were all Russian guns and some looked to have a nicer finish than the old Maks that came in by the boatload back in the day.

They also had a bunch of S&W Smegmas too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:
Interestingly, it doesn't look like any foot soldiers carried them in addition to a Kalashnikov. Mostly just officers and political officers, RPG operators, tankers, drivers, and the like.
View Quote
Not machine gunners? Other than that, it appears similar to US MTOE at the time. Pistols were for people whose role prevented them from carrying a larger weapon, or as backup for something more prone to failure, like a belt-fed MG. The pistol was the original PDW.

The exception(s) would be special forces, and those who scrounged battlefield pickups (which was fairly common among WWII combatants). Not issued of course.

Does that document indicate who was issued Stechkin APS machinepistols?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Shotgun News has a series of pretty cool articles written by a Russian Afhgan vet (and Fortier? Can't remember) a few years back.
He mentioned that their squads usually had one or two pistols that got passed around depending on what was going down at the time. Even a few suppressed ones floating around between guys.
So while they technically were issued to team leaders and such, the regular guys had pistols fairly regularly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top