Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 9:04:34 PM EDT
About 2 years ago my dad passed away from cancer. He had quite a few guns and one of them was an old German Luger that, IIRC, he got from his father. The only thing I know about it is that it is a Luger. Thats it. I would love to learn more about it like how old, model, when this type of gun was used in history, worth etc.

Here is the album:
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289875791

If anyone could help me out I would greatly apreciate it.
Thanks,
Clint
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Best guess, not knowing squat about it and not having a closer look, is that it is a 1920 Commercial Model (in 9mm?).  I dont see any markings on it.

These are pretty common, made up of surplus ww1 parts.    

The script on the toggle is DWM.  You wouldn't dare sell it, but I would price it at 450-550 bucks.

I have a 1920 commercial model in 30 luger, with only the faintest hint of rifling left.  I bought it as a rebarreling project, and it was prices as that.  It turned out to be one of the most accurate semiautos I have.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry about your Dad. My sympathies on your loss.
I agree that this is a DWM Luger, pre 1924 and a commercial model.
I would love to see more closeup pics of it, as serial # and firing proofs can narrow it down much more.
Please email scans, just toss it in the old scanner, get both sides, and I will tell you what I can about it. Could be a number of possibilities. Worth more than $500, though, as that would be a price for a parts gun. Do all serial #s match?
9mm or 7.65 Luger caliber?
Thanks for letting me see it.
[email protected]

Edit to add, DWM stands for Deutsche Waffen Munitionsfabrik, major gun factory in Berlin, till the 20s. Your wood bottom mag looks original also.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info Hannah and Pogo.  I will try to get some better pictures of it and find out if all the serial numbers match.  What parts should I look for a serial # on?
Thanks again,
Clint
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for serial numbers anywhere there's, well, numbers.

Side plate, frame (obviously), maybe the mags, maybe the upper section all may have them.

I would say yours is in the $650-800 range. Mine is a parts gun, shoots good though & I paid $450 for it, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I must be in a different market.  I paid 250 for mine, all matching numbers with acceptable internal wear, little external wear, and a faint bore.  Russian capture guns seem to go for 450 bucks.  Good examples seem to go for 5-600 bucks around here.  Stainless 44 mags are the hot setup here.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I just took some more pictures of the numbers on the Luger. They are at www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289859021.

The pictures aren't that great of quality so I will describe the numbers and symbols.

Pictured:
--On the bottom of the barrel I found vertically, starting from the top, a crown like symbol, then an N, then 26, and last an O like symbol.
--On the front of the frame I saw 26 over GERMANY and beneath both of those was the same O like symbol.
--The rear of the upper section had 26 on it.
--The left side of the upper section had the crown with N under it.
--The cocking mechanism, on the end closest to the barrel had the crown with N under it.

Not pictured:
--On left side of trigger is 26
--On the large removable pin in front of the trigger is stamped 22 (replaced part?)

Those are all of the symbols and numbers on the gun (that I found, there may be more that I just couldn't find).

Thanks again Hannah.
Clint
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I paid 250 for mine, all matching numbers with acceptable internal wear, little external wear, and a faint bore.

No wonder we don't like you.      
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The crown over N is the nitro commercial firing proofs, showing that it could safely fire modern powders. The takedown lever does sound like a replacement part, but perhaps the 6 is blurred from wear and looking like a 2. Meaning it could be a matched part that is being difficult to read.
The script letter "o" after the 26 is part of the serial #. So your correct # is 26 "o".
Finish is rather rough, yet original, still better than a reblue.
The Germany stamp shows it is commercial, and possibly for export. But commercials are numbered like yours anyway, a lot fewer serial #s showing than on a military model.

The safe bet for ID is to call it a 1920 Commercial.
Post WW1, some from new parts, some from reworks, some from old parts. Yours looks like new manufacture at the time, though.
Value would depend on your local market, but I would guess at least $650 or so, in the Denver markets that I am more familiar with, but only if that takedown lever actually matches.

To find more info, register at www.lugerforum.com
Great folks, and a lot of info there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top