Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2003 8:45:31 AM EDT
My boss mentioned that he has always wanted to own a Luger, but I don't know the first thing about them.  He has never owned a gun in his life, and I thought it might be a good way to get him interested in shooting.

Can anybody tell me what to expect to pay for a used Luger (9mm)?  I don't need a matched one.  Is a gun show a decent place to pick one up?  They seem pretty pricy ($700) on GunBroker.

TIA,
fiz!
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy a good shooter for around $400 via Shotgun News ads. I paid about $375 for mine at a gun shop several years back.

I would be hesitant about getting a Luger for one's first gun. Their sights are less than perfect & sometimes they are a bit finicky about operation. They are fun to shoot & always attract a crowd at the range. You can buy newly made mags cheap as well.

I used mine for my gun at my carry class qualifier.  

Personally, I would prefer to buy my guns in person so as to check the bore, fit & finish.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Bob; I'll try to check around the local shops & shows.  I've never even operated one; it does sound like it might not be a good starter gun.  There's also the issue of whether or not his wife will make him throw it away...
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
His wife might make him throw it away?!?!?!
Eeeeek!

A Luger is a work of art as much as it is a pistol, but as a first gun it may not be what he needs.

They *can* be finicky, until you get the correct mag/ammo combination dialed in, but after that, they are as reliable as any other semi auto.
The frustration level a beginner may experience while getting the combination right may be discouraging to a newbie.

But he may not be planning on shooting much at all, merely keeping one as a fondling piece, to be slavered over and enjoyed.

Yes, it should be bought in person, hopefully with the assistance of someone who knows Lugers.
Even unmatched Lugers can be good shooters, but should still be checked out by someone who has some familiarity with the species.

The toggle action is an amazing bit of engineering, even today, but especially considering it went into production in 1900.

Lugers can bring joy whether you shoot them or not, that is part of their charm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I would buy any complete luger fro $375
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top