Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2017 12:32:56 PM EDT
BEFORE Engraving and gold work.  Then PREBLUE  then POST BLUE, Then final  I enjoyed working on this fine Baby Luger.  Fun to see the progression.  Brian Powley Engravers did the scroll and gold work.  This was for the American Pistol Guild and was shown in a 2005 Issue of The American Handgunner magazine.  I did the rust bluing, strawing, fire blue work.

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know how to delete a double posting
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the baby lugers.

Nice work!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I dont know how to delete a double posting
View Quote
Change your other title to Dupe, please lock & one of the mods will lock it.  Or just wait, Aimless will lock both of your threads and start his own.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you berry berry much!  I DUPED IT!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the one that started it all.  Georg Luger's (The designer of the Luger pistol)  personal baby.   I took this picture of it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here is the one that started it all.  Georg Luger's (The designer of the Luger pistol)  personal baby.   I took this picture of it.
http://members.rennlist.org/lugerman/GeorgsBaby.JPG
View Quote
Who owns that?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]
That Baby Luger was owned by Ralph Shattuck who, at the time, was the largest Luger dealer in the US, with 500 Lugers in his own collection and another 1100 in his inventory for sales.  His WORLD OF LUGERS business was run out of his Home in Peoria AZ.  Here is an account of my first visit to see Ralph.  He died in 2010 on his 81st birthday.  

TRIP TO THE WORLD OF LUGERS
MY VISIT WITH RALPH SHATTUCK 2/6/2000
By: Ted Green, Rio Rancho, NM 87124

Well, we flew into Phoenix early on Saturday, flight was smooth as silk and we got there at 7:40 AM. Went to Hertz picked up a 2000 Mustang. Stopped at Dennys and had a delightfull filling buffet breakfast. Went to the mall about three miles from Ralphs house and killed a couple of hours and much of my jitters! We had located the house right after breakfast so we would be on time for sure. I had done some homework on Yahoo and got several different scales of maps to his house which was good as he lives in a community where the roads are windy and only a couple of access points into the housing development. WOW, Ralph lives in Peoria AZ in the country club district. Lots of green fairways, duck ponds and palm trees, outstanding place-a real Oasis in the middle of the desert! We arrived 5 minutes early and approached the house with much anticipation We took in a folder with some documents (Signed FFL) checkbook, etc and our digital camera and many stomach butterflys. We approached the door and range the bell. Part 2...........

Time on Target-1:00pm Ring the door bell. About 30 seconds......... The door opens. "Welcome and come on in!" A very friendly and gracious Ralph Shattuck shakes my hand and I introduce my sweet wife Natalie! We exchange a few pleasantries that escape me now, as my head spins with anticipation! He steps back a couple of paces and opens to large... doors.....the smell of weapontry WELLS over me,, taking my senses by storm. Now my heart races, he anounces in a firm voice that rings in my ears!!!! "Welcome to my world........Welcome....to the WORLD OF LUGERS" I stand at the brink and take in a deep breath of that delightful air. "I always wondered what 1600 Lugers would smell like, it's .....simply wonderful".........part 3

After I caught my breath and started to take it all in I noticed that the upper 1/2 of the walls had Lugers mounted on pegs on a wooden peg board under a sliding glass cover. These Were Ralphs personal collection!! Under this glass and illuminated by soft ultraviolet light (Ralph says direct sunlight or bright incandenscent light will fade straw and finish) were the illustrated history of the Luger pistol from to start to finish. WOW, what a display and each an excellent example of the variations. I noticed a 1916 DWM with soft Blonde grips that reminded me of a Luger that was used for the the Tales of the Gun Series on the History Channel last summer. Sure enough a small blemish on the lower right of the side plate matched the gun to the tape I have of that show! I had sent Ralph a listing of about a dozen variations that I was interested in and he had examples of these all sprawled out on the couch. He said to my wife "Look at him Natalie, I could have put em on the ground and he could have rolled around in them, but that might scatch them up" I looked over each example on the sofa and while I was doing that he said "That was a good idea you had and saved us both time" There was a dated Simson, an American Eagle Stoeger, Krieghoff, byf Black Widow and several others. None of them but the Simson really struck my fancy. part 4.........

Whew, under all of Ralph's Collection was 5 rows of Lugers set upside down with the butt end up. Many were stored this way and it made for a compact method to contain them. I told Ralph that since I had sent him the list I had studied my Luger books some more and had come up with the very idea gun I wanted to purchase. I got this idea from Jan Still's Third Reich Lugers, the front section of pictures before the body of the book. I told him I wanted 1. A black Widow Luger, byf 41 with full miltary acceptance stamps/proofs 2. This Luger has to have two matching serialized magazines 3. It also had to have a dated holster to match the year 4. It had to be in excelent shape and 5. It had to be issued to the NAZI police instead of the military. WELL.......he said "That is a tough order to fill. His eyebrow kind of raised with each additional stipulation and finally he said "Just give me a minute" and he disappeared into the back room, to reappear after about 3 minutes holding the gun i had requested. I looked it over with mouth agape! Ralph this is just what I wanted and in awefully good condition too! He said it had come from a guy that only collected NAZI police Lugers. I asked the price and he told me..ouch kinda steep, but for that Luger, not bad at all. Part5......

Sorry to be so long winded, but you guys asked for a FULL report and you're getting it. After he told me the price of the police black widow, I asked him to leave it there and that I also wanted to see if he had a Commerical Luger that had very light blonde grips like the 1916 DWM Military I described, and he said flat out, sorry, I don't have anything like that. I said okay and we started looking around at other Lugers. In about 5 minutes, a light must have gone off in his head and he said "A HA! I might have just such a gun, a new arrival" Again he disappeared into the back room and came back with an awesome site. A 1923 Commercial that appeared in the factory new unfired state. This gun had NO evidence that it had ever been HANDLED at all, much less fired. I asked my wife, "Honey, do you like this one, it is really a gem" She gulped and said in a weak voice "Of course I like it, that's a silly question, it's beautiful" I asked the price and thought it low for a gun of that magnitude of quality and beauty! I put it next to the police Luger and kept circling the room! I found something in the corner and asked him "Are these for sale" He said "What are you looking at" I said part 6........I said "I am looking at the mintest PPK s(plural PPK) I have ever seen in my life! In fact two of them....These are.... gulp....really stunning! How much are they?" Well it turns that someone else was also looking for a PPK and Ralph told me this but said "Do you want these" I said "I want this one, how much is it" He told me and then he came over and looked at them and we both agreed which was the better of the two and he said "I want you to have the best one" WOW that really impressed me! Talk about being number one! I told him, "We'll take all three Ralph, The police Black Widow, the 1923 in Factory new condition ,and the Walther PPK 7.65mm in Mint condition!" Part 7 (that's all tonight)

Well after we had picked out our goodies, Ralph went into his office (that was the back room he kept ducking into to retrieve those awesome guns) and as he keyed in our invoice, he said "Go ahead and look at anything you want and you can take all the pictures you want, Me casa es su Casa (my house is your house)" He had P38s, Colts, and several of types of guns. He has a big Luger that was built by a machinist for him and was about 2 & 1/2 feet long from back of the rear sight to the end of the barrel, it was completely stainless steel by appearace. He had many pictures of Germans, Hilter, Goehrign,Gobbels, Himmler. There is a picture of a German Fighter bomber that was green color emerging from a cloud of flame. He said he used this with his displays of Krieghoffs (made for the German Airforce) that he takes to shows. We got to look and hold Georg Luger's Personal 7 Shot-protype and the August Weiss's personal Luger, only one each of those every made. We also checked out the baby Luger that Mike Krause copied to make his run of copies of this weapon. What struck me was the very small size, much smaller than Georg's snubby! We were having a ball! Part 8.......

After Ralph got our invoice ready and I wrote him a large check, we were basically done. This took us only one hour of our alloted time. We thought we were going to go, but we actually had two more hours left. Ralph said "I hope you don't have to leave, please stay and we'll talk about anything you want and you can continue to look at anything you wish!" Well, we couldn't turn down that offer. We all sat and talked he wanted to know all about my profession and our little girls. We wanted to know about his business and how long he had been interested in Lugers. He is just turned 70 years old and he said he started when he was 14!  We had a ball the  rest of our time and 4:00pm came much earlier than I expected Ralph asked me when was I going to get my FFL, I don't know where he was going with that question, but Natalie thought he was encouraging me in a subtle way to get into the business. We also talked about him being active as a deputy commander in the Peoria Sheriffs department. He showed me a glock and a snubby 38 that he used as carry guns. Nancy had brought us refreshments and we just thought she was great two. We had seen many pictures of her and Ralph throughout his carerr. We said goodbye and he reopened the front door and ran out and said "send me an email with pictures, I want to see those kids you are braggin about"  (our own two sweet little girls) I noticed an American flag and another, probably the arizona flag on a flag pole at his diveway as we left and sped away, much better for the awesome experience we had just had. Ralph Shattuck is a remarkable human being and meeting him was a thrill of a lifetime and all those great Lugers, WOW, what a combination! Wish I could this again, maybe in another 25 years!  Maybe sooner!  Much Sooner!  That's all folks
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You remember doing this one for me? I think it was the 2nd conversion done?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That Baby Luger was owned by Ralph Shattuck who, at the time, was the largest Luger dealer in the US, with 500 Lugers in his own collection and another 1100 in his inventory for sales.  His WORLD OF LUGERS business was run out of his Home in Peoria AZ.  Here is an account of my first visit to see Ralph.  He died in 2010 on his 81st birthday.  http://members.rennlist.org/lugerman/RalphWOL.jpg

Well, we flew into Phoenix early on Saturday, flight was smooth as silk and we got there at 7:40 AM. Went to Hertz picked up a 2000 Mustang. Stopped at Dennys and had a delightfull filling buffet breakfast. Went to the mall about three miles from Ralphs house and killed a couple of hours and much of my jitters! We had located the house right after breakfast so we would be on time for sure. I had done some homework on Yahoo and got several different scales of maps to his house which was good as he lives in a community where the roads are windy and only a couple of access points into the housing development. WOW, Ralph lives in Peoria AZ in the country club district. Lots of green fairways, duck ponds and palm trees, outstanding place-a real Oasis in the middle of the desert! We arrived 5 minutes early and approached the house with much anticipation We took in a folder with some documents (Signed FFL) checkbook, etc and our digital camera and many stomach butterflys. We approached the door and range the bell. Part 2...........

Time on Target-1:00pm Ring the door bell. About 30 seconds......... The door opens. "Welcome and come on in!" A very friendly and gracious Ralph Shattuck shakes my hand and I introduce my sweet wife Natalie! We exchange a few pleasantries that escape me now, as my head spins with anticipation! He steps back a couple of paces and opens to large... doors.....the smell of weapontry WELLS over me,, taking my senses by storm. Now my heart races, he anounces in a firm voice that rings in my ears!!!! "Welcome to my world........Welcome....to the WORLD OF LUGERS" I stand at the brink and take in a deep breath of that delightful air. "I always wondered what 1600 Lugers would smell like, it's .....simply wonderful".........part 3

After I caught my breath and started to take it all in I noticed that the upper 1/2 of the walls had Lugers mounted on pegs on a wooden peg board under a sliding glass cover. These Were Ralphs personal collection!! Under this glass and illuminated by soft ultraviolet light (Ralph says direct sunlight or bright incandenscent light will fade straw and finish) were the illustrated history of the Luger pistol from to start to finish. WOW, what a display and each an excellent example of the variations. I noticed a 1916 DWM with soft Blonde grips that reminded me of a Luger that was used for the the Tales of the Gun Series on the History Channel last summer. Sure enough a small blemish on the lower right of the side plate matched the gun to the tape I have of that show! I had sent Ralph a listing of about a dozen variations that I was interested in and he had examples of these all sprawled out on the couch. He said to my wife "Look at him Natalie, I could have put em on the ground and he could have rolled around in them, but that might scatch them up" I looked over each example on the sofa and while I was doing that he said "That was a good idea you had and saved us both time" There was a dated Simson, an American Eagle Stoeger, Krieghoff, byf Black Widow and several others. None of them but the Simson really struck my fancy. part 4.........

Whew, under all of Ralph's Collection was 5 rows of Lugers set upside down with the butt end up. Many were stored this way and it made for a compact method to contain them. I told Ralph that since I had sent him the list I had studied my Luger books some more and had come up with the very idea gun I wanted to purchase. I got this idea from Jan Still's Third Reich Lugers, the front section of pictures before the body of the book. I told him I wanted 1. A black Widow Luger, byf 41 with full miltary acceptance stamps/proofs 2. This Luger has to have two matching serialized magazines 3. It also had to have a dated holster to match the year 4. It had to be in excelent shape and 5. It had to be issued to the NAZI police instead of the military. WELL.......he said "That is a tough order to fill. His eyebrow kind of raised with each additional stipulation and finally he said "Just give me a minute" and he disappeared into the back room, to reappear after about 3 minutes holding the gun i had requested. I looked it over with mouth agape! Ralph this is just what I wanted and in awefully good condition too! He said it had come from a guy that only collected NAZI police Lugers. I asked the price and he told me..ouch kinda steep, but for that Luger, not bad at all. Part5......

Sorry to be so long winded, but you guys asked for a FULL report and you're getting it. After he told me the price of the police black widow, I asked him to leave it there and that I also wanted to see if he had a Commerical Luger that had very light blonde grips like the 1916 DWM Military I described, and he said flat out, sorry, I don't have anything like that. I said okay and we started looking around at other Lugers. In about 5 minutes, a light must have gone off in his head and he said "A HA! I might have just such a gun, a new arrival" Again he disappeared into the back room and came back with an awesome site. A 1923 Commercial that appeared in the factory new unfired state. This gun had NO evidence that it had ever been HANDLED at all, much less fired. I asked my wife, "Honey, do you like this one, it is really a gem" She gulped and said in a weak voice "Of course I like it, that's a silly question, it's beautiful" I asked the price and thought it low for a gun of that magnitude of quality and beauty! I put it next to the police Luger and kept circling the room! I found something in the corner and asked him "Are these for sale" He said "What are you looking at" I said part 6........I said "I am looking at the mintest PPK s(plural PPK) I have ever seen in my life! In fact two of them....These are.... gulp....really stunning! How much are they?" Well it turns that someone else was also looking for a PPK and Ralph told me this but said "Do you want these" I said "I want this one, how much is it" He told me and then he came over and looked at them and we both agreed which was the better of the two and he said "I want you to have the best one" WOW that really impressed me! Talk about being number one! I told him, "We'll take all three Ralph, The police Black Widow, the 1923 in Factory new condition ,and the Walther PPK 7.65mm in Mint condition!" Part 7 (that's all tonight)

Well after we had picked out our goodies, Ralph went into his office (that was the back room he kept ducking into to retrieve those awesome guns) and as he keyed in our invoice, he said "Go ahead and look at anything you want and you can take all the pictures you want, Me casa es su Casa (my house is your house)" He had P38s, Colts, and several of types of guns. He has a big Luger that was built by a machinist for him and was about 2 & 1/2 feet long from back of the rear sight to the end of the barrel, it was completely stainless steel by appearace. He had many pictures of Germans, Hilter, Goehrign,Gobbels, Himmler. There is a picture of a German Fighter bomber that was green color emerging from a cloud of flame. He said he used this with his displays of Krieghoffs (made for the German Airforce) that he takes to shows. We got to look and hold Georg Luger's Personal 7 Shot-protype and the August Weiss's personal Luger, only one each of those every made. We also checked out the baby Luger that Mike Krause copied to make his run of copies of this weapon. What struck me was the very small size, much smaller than Georg's snubby! We were having a ball! Part 8.......

After Ralph got our invoice ready and I wrote him a large check, we were basically done. This took us only one hour of our alloted time. We thought we were going to go, but we actually had two more hours left. Ralph said "I hope you don't have to leave, please stay and we'll talk about anything you want and you can continue to look at anything you wish!" Well, we couldn't turn down that offer. We all sat and talked he wanted to know all about my profession and our little girls. We wanted to know about his business and how long he had been interested in Lugers. He is just turned 70 years old and he said he started when he was 14!  We had a ball the  rest of our time and 4:00pm came much earlier than I expected Ralph asked me when was I going to get my FFL, I don't know where he was going with that question, but Natalie thought he was encouraging me in a subtle way to get into the business. We also talked about him being active as a deputy commander in the Peoria Sheriffs department. He showed me a glock and a snubby 38 that he used as carry guns. Nancy had brought us refreshments and we just thought she was great two. We had seen many pictures of her and Ralph throughout his carerr. We said goodbye and he reopened the front door and ran out and said "send me an email with pictures, I want to see those kids you are braggin about"  (our own two sweet little girls) I noticed an American flag and another, probably the arizona flag on a flag pole at his diveway as we left and sped away, much better for the awesome experience we had just had. Ralph Shattuck is a remarkable human being and meeting him was a thrill of a lifetime and all those great Lugers, WOW, what a combination! Wish I could this again, maybe in another 25 years!  Maybe sooner!  Much Sooner!  That's all folks
View Quote
He was on the Luger episode of Tales of the Gun.

I remember the room.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Sure I do

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That Baby Luger was owned by Ralph Shattuck who, at the time, was the largest Luger dealer in the US, with 500 Lugers in his own collection and another 1100 in his inventory for sales.  His WORLD OF LUGERS business was run out of his Home in Peoria AZ.  Here is an account of my first visit to see Ralph.  He died in 2010 on his 81st birthday.  http://members.rennlist.org/lugerman/RalphWOL.jpg

View Quote
Thank you for sharing this story.
I never knew Ralph, nor did I know he lived close by.  

Thor, your pictures and work are impressive, to say the least.  Keep sharing them!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably not.  But thank you very much and others for all the nice words on my work.  P08 is in the know on my DL und exodus.  GBFN  TTFN  ciao  (thunder crash mit der lighting bolt)  Thor out
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably not.  But thank you very much and others for all the nice words on my work.  P08 is in the know on my DL und exodus.  GBFN  TTFN  ciao  (thunder crash mit der lighting bolt)  Thor out
View Quote
Did you also do a baby browning HP?

I thought I remember seeing a picture of a baby luger and baby HP done by the same smith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top