Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2017 2:50:00 PM EDT
I saw Kong last week they showed a Japanese pilot with a C-96, I can`t find any source showing that a Jap pilot would have a C-96, unless it was captured in China and kept as a trophy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw the scene too.

I have an unverifiable account to offer.  In the 80s while working at a gun shop.  We had a group of hang out guys that would come to the shop shoot the shit buy stuff sell stuff - some were WW2 vets. Always had stories - was fascinating to hear.  One guy had a Broomhandle Mauser - He was in the navy in Pacific theater.
A jap pilot was shot down and he was retrieved from the water - all of his belongings were trophied by sailors including his sidearm a Broomhandle Mauser.  This guy was in supply in some way and traded for the pistol and kept it.  I remember looking at it - it was a German gun.  Full size post ww1 C96.  Not sure of the stories authenticity but I thought of that story as soon as I saw that scene in the movie.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The Mauser C-96 is an interesting gun although I don't know a lot about it's history, but I do have one.  From what I have read they were sold commercially, worldwide, so it is conceivable that a Japanese pilot would have one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't the Chinese have a fascination with the C96?

And the Japanese invaded China during WWII right?

War trophy acquired in China perhaps?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
China produced a whole bunch of different copies and variations before WWII, wouldn't be any stretch to think that the Japanese got their hands on a bunch of them during the war.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#5]
As I understand it Japanese officers had to buy their own pistols, and it was very common for them to choose something foreign. Wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Movie Shots

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The piece on the front of the magazine section looks funny to me.  Never saw that before, it has a slightly reddish color
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top