Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2016 2:33:40 PM EDT
Not sure if thats bakelite or plastic on the black bottom ones...

THANKS

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagging this
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing nothing earth shattering here....just more for the box of misc mags for guns I don't own...lol
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Well maybe some pictures would help?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Kind of looks like p08 mags.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

well.....I kinda had that figured out....just wondering if there are any interesting ones in the bunch
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

well.....I kinda had that figured out....just wondering if there are any interesting ones in the bunch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones that are serial numbered and have a aluminum base match some luger somewhere.

Thats pretty interesting.

I wish I could find one that had "1946" on it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple more that have "122" instead of FXO...
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I am by no means a P.08 magazine expert, and there are lots of variants and lots of exceptions, but here's what I know in general:

1.  Commercial lugers and contract (foreign military) lugers didn't have numbered magazines, while military (German military) lugers had 4 digit serial numbers corresponding to the block style (1-10,000 a, followed by 1-10,000 b, followed by 1-10,000 c, etc) serial number on the pistol.

2. Military lugers were shipped with 2 serial numbered magazines (1 in the pistol and 1 that was carried in the pocket on the front of the holster, while commercial lugers were usually shipped with 2 spare magazines and none of the magazines was serial numbered.  .Contract pistols varied, but most probably shipped with a spare magazine, and again none of the magazines were normally serial numbered.

3.  Luger magazine differences:

a) wrap around magazine body construction (early) followed by extruded magazine body construction (late);

b) nickel plating (earliest) followed by tin or zinc plating (later), followed by blued finish (last);

c) different bases
- wooden bases (early)
- aluminum bases (later); and
- plastic bases (last)

d) with and without visible retaining rivets;

e) with and without serial numbers (see the serial number comments in #1);

f) with (uncommon) or without a slot on both sides to view the loaded rounds (common); and

g) early magazines shipped with early 9mm Para pistols have the 9mm caliber stamped on the bottom of the base (the 7,65 and 9mm magazines are however identical and this practice was short lived.

4. Aluminum magazine base plates were used (not by any means a complete list) on:

- the 1934 pattern P.08s made by Mauser.  (Mauser acquired BKIW, which was the holding company that owned DWM, in 1930 and by 1934 DWM marked parts were used up and the Mauser banner P.08 replaced the DWM P.08s.  With that change came the aluminum magazine base.)  

-The Swiss also used aluminum magazine bases in their P.08s in the mid to late 1920s.

- Early Simson P.08s had wood bases, but later Simson made P.08s had aluminum bases, particularly the later S code Simson P.08s when Simson used an "S" to try to downplay it's name.  Simson was the company that was allowed to produce military and police lugers after WWI under the terms of the treaty. DWM was seen as being part of the German military-industrial complex and wasn't trusted (although they continued to produce commercial lugers until bought by Mauser) and Erfurt (a German military arsenal that produced P.08s during WWI was closed down) and Simson became the "approved" P.08 supplier.  However, being Jewish owned and being associated with the Weimar republic, it stopped producing lugers in 1934 shortly after Hitler came to power.

- Contract pistols may have had wood or aluminum bases during the between war period depending on what the customer wanted and when it was ordered.  

5.  Black plastic (Bakelite) bases started to see use on the Swiss commercial lugers and military lugers starting in 1929, but the aluminum bases were standard on German military Lugers until 1939-1941 when the change was made to Bakelite.  

6. Tin plated, wrap around construction magazines were replaced by blued extruded steel magazines on German P.08s in the late 1930s as they openly started rearming after 1936 and geared up for wartime production. However tin plating was still used on magazines for contract P.08s in this period.

---

In broad terms:

1.  An Imperial era P.08 usually has a nickel plated, wrap around construction magazine with a wood base.

2, A Weimar era P.08 usually has as a wrap around construction, tin plated body with a wood (early) or aluminum (later) base.

3. Swiss magazines often have a tin plated wrap around body with a black plastic base (they also had wood bases with steel inserts).

4. Pre-war Nazi era magazines usually have an extruded blued magazine body with an aluminum base up untill about 1939 when they started transitioning to Bakelite;

5. By early 1941 they had switched entirely to Bakelite bases on Nazi era Lugers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The black plastic mags were used on the byf 41 & 42 and also for field replacement. Do NOT use these as the plastic is very brittle from age and the will break. Those two is pristine condition might fetch $100-150 each. The other two extruded fxo mags are for standard model P08's starting in 1939 thru 1941. Those might bring the same or more depending on if someone has the gun to match.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
excellent, thank you
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
more...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top