Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2015 8:24:24 PM EDT
I've posted pics of it before...

A 1930 Commercial model.

It is one of the guns "rebuilt" by Federal Ordnance in California.  Hence my reluctance to fire it.

I has been re-barreled to 9x19, and it appears that Fed-Ord welded a new, and smaller, grip frame on it.
It had a cracked bolt stop installed when I purchased it.  Fed-Ord, re-blued the cracked stop and installed it on the pistol.  Ouch.
I replaced it with a good used one I purchased from Mr. Heller.  I have also replaced the springs with the kit from Wolff.

However, I am very reluctant to fire it.  For one thing, the locating "ears" on the disconnector seem to not be doing much, as far as I can tell.

So, is there someone I can send this thing to and have it checked over for safety?

I've wanted one of these since I was a kid, and I'd dearly love to shoot it, but, discretion is the better part of valor, as they say.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd load it with one bullet and shoot it, if it worked I'd do more.  That's what I did with the two broomhandles I bought recently anyways, but I completely understand your concerns since one of mine had a bolt stop that looked like it was about to let go and the other one has lots of problems. The only place I can think of that does broomhandle work besides relining is The Broom Closet In FL.  904-964-5053 is the number I have for them.

Yikes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a C-96 that was refinished by Oyster Bay I think it is. I replaced the bolt with a new one from the Broom Closet. At the time they were making new ones out of a much better grade of steel than the originals. I have only shot mine with light reloads using cast lead bullets.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
My standard procedure prior to firing c96's the first time is to replace the recoil spring with a Wolff standard one and replace the bolt stop with a new one.  If it is an all #s matching gun, set the old bolt stop aside to go with the gun.

Reason:  any all original or questionable C96 is right at or nearly 100 years old.  The springs loose their strength over time and that is what hammers/cracks the bolt stop & creates a potentially dangerous condition.

MLG

By the way, I have three of them and shoot them whenever I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top