Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2013 3:35:40 PM EDT
Can you still get a "shooter" Luger for under $1000 these days? 9mm, of course - I have a .30 cal already and would like something cheaper to feed for a "shooter". Gunbroker prices seem to be well over that price point for even refinished and mismatched guns.

And that doesn't even begin to describe some of what I've seen asked for rusted, pitted, non-matching Artillery models....are these really bringing $1500-2000 even in poor shape?

Or do I just need to be looking in places other than Gunbroker?
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a Luger person.

Many years ago I read an article in a gunrag about a gunwriter that assembled a P-08 shooter from parts scrounged at gunshows and gunstores.
Nothing matched and he did have a few minor issues fitting parts, but he got it up and shooting.

We have a gunwriter here called "gunwritr"  if he sees this post he may know.

If you have time, patience and money building a parts gun may be an option.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Gun Broker prices for lugers are retarded. Half the morons selling them think that they have something special when they don't. There are plenty of $600-700 shooters that work. These will be bubba buff n blue jobs, but they should work. The $1000+ mismatch guns are the ones that still have good original finish on them. People are always looking for that one part to make their Luger a force matched jewel. Buy a 30 Luger commercial, brass and dies are available and I use .32 ACP bullets when loading.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are plenty of $600-700 shooters that work.
View Quote

And where do you find those?  I've been in a lot of gun shops and to a lot of gun shows, and I have never seen one nearly that cheap.  The last one I looked at was rusted shut in obviously unsafe to fire condition for $4k.z
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#4]
You just keep looking. The morons with 150% of Blue Book will still have those guns years from now.Once they decide to really sell the price will come down. What they don't realize is that an original finish mismatch only brings the price it does because of the value of the parts. You can take a pristine mismatch and break it up for parts and get well over $12-1300 for it. Buffed and reblued maybe $600 if you find a dummy to buy them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
they can be found.  I was not into lugers for the original reason you stated where it was not easy to find a reasonably priced shooter.  You can find bargains.  I found a well used mismatched shooter Artillery Luger for $700.  It does shoot, it wasn't pretty, but its getting there with about $100 worth of restoration (reblue, new wolf springs, mag)

They are around, but not common.  I think the economy has shaken a few out here and there to be plucked up, just keep an eye out at shops, shows, and auctions.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to get political in here, but I passed up some deals during the recession that I am now kicking myself for. Could have had several more Lugers by then if I hadn't been worried to spend the money (but at the time, holding on to what I had made sense to me). Live and learn.

cherenkov - I saw your thread on that artillery! Looking forward to seeing the final result on that one. I've seen a few ratty ones on GB that I've given thought to either buying as a shooter or having restored, but even the worst of the worst have been going over $1500 (for artilleries). More than I want to pay for a gun that's 25-50 percent pitted most of the time.

P08 - the one I have is a .30 commercial. I just don't reload. Between that and my M1 Garand I probably should get into it one of these days.

I'm always looking, though. Every gun show I go to (which isn't much these days) I always see if anybody has a Luger or two on their table. I guess part of the fun is in the chase, or I wouldn't still be doing it!

Guess I need to go back up to Jackson Armory in Dallas and see if they still have their Luger "bargain bin" that they used to do....they stashed the cheaper ones in there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]
You can find them, a Russian capture or some of the later imports are less expensive (generally).

Try to do a regular search on the auctions for new listings and you can find individuals listing things, probably will be some folks looking to liberate some cash for the Holidays.  5 years of Obama's recovery and many folks still are hitting bottom,

I was in your boat, in fact I gave up looking for real lugers and was looking for an "Erma baby luger" copy when I stumbled onto the auction for the Artillery.

Scout the shops, people will be trading stuff in for Seasonal shopping.

A commercial luger is worth keeping, but yeah darn 30 luger is expensive, but they are usually in great shape versus the shooter 9mm guns in the same price range -Might want to consider rebarrelling, but it would ruin collect ability.

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
If you take your time on Gunbroker, you can find matching good condition guns for $600-$800 and mismatched guns pretty cheap.
Both of my police Lugers were under $1000.
$900 for a Bremen schupo

I missed out on these two because I was away from my computer...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=372760960
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369921165
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I would always recommend an East German P.08 built on a Mauser frame, with the humps. They were mainly used by the Volkspolizei and termed Vopo guns but also served in fighting brigades, Betriebskampfgruppen. They were usually serviced and reblued every few years, defective parts exchanged for original spares or newly manufactured parts.

They used to be in the $400 to 500 range but lately appreciated as they became a separate collection field. They can still be had for $600 to 800, unless they are original matching numbers and not force matched. Many have the barrels replaced with Czech made post war barrels.

The search term would be Vopo Luger for a range ready shooter.

This one has the take down lever replaced with East German made part:

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would always recommend an East German P.08 built on a Mauser frame, with the humps. They were mainly used by the Volkspolizei and termed Vopo guns but also served in fighting brigades, Betriebskampfgruppen. They were usually serviced and reblued every few years, defective parts exchanged for original spares or newly manufactured parts.

They used to be in the $400 to 500 range but lately appreciated as they became a separate collection field. They can still be had for $600 to 800, unless they are original matching numbers and not force matched. Many have the barrels replaced with Czech made post war barrels.
[/url]
View Quote

I had several when they were $400 guns. I wish I'd have kept one or two
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought this one when you could sell guns on eBay for $500.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]

How long ago was that??     Great looking pistol.  All matching? Mag?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
All matching except the mag.

ETA: Ebay stopped letting you sell guns in 1999.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a 1917 Eurfurt on the C&R EE board on this site for sale.  Looks like an older reblue, but a pretty gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I dream of one but every single Luger in the Western United States is over 1k USD.

with extra pits and rusty bores and BULLSHIT character stories.

fucken SICK OF IT. The gun shows and their scammers.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]

That's very nice!  I looked at one last month for $6,500 that wasn't nearly that nice.z
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not to get political in here, but I passed up some deals during the recession that I am now kicking myself for. Could have had several more Lugers by then if I hadn't been worried to spend the money (but at the time, holding on to what I had made sense to me). Live and learn.

cherenkov - I saw your thread on that artillery! Looking forward to seeing the final result on that one. I've seen a few ratty ones on GB that I've given thought to either buying as a shooter or having restored, but even the worst of the worst have been going over $1500 (for artilleries). More than I want to pay for a gun that's 25-50 percent pitted most of the time.

P08 - the one I have is a .30 commercial. I just don't reload. Between that and my M1 Garand I probably should get into it one of these days.

I'm always looking, though. Every gun show I go to (which isn't much these days) I always see if anybody has a Luger or two on their table. I guess part of the fun is in the chase, or I wouldn't still be doing it!

Guess I need to go back up to Jackson Armory in Dallas and see if they still have their Luger "bargain bin" that they used to do....they stashed the cheaper ones in there.
View Quote

Funny you should mention Jackson Armory!

Last month I bought an all matching .30 1915  DWM from them for $750 & a buff and blue all matching 9mm  1916  DWM for $799.  Both pistols have excellent bores.

There's a few on their website right now in the $900 range.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Speaking of Jackson Armor in Dallas, that place is a candy store and should be classified as as hazardous to your financial health danger zone. I have never seen a shop with the classic inventory they have. 20 or more of Pythons, SW29s, Peacemakers, older/collectible 1911s, Lugers, P38s, Garands, M1 carbines, and a variety of stuff that I wasn't sure about other than I wanted it all.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought my first Luger from Cabela's last Fall. It's a parts gun with mismatching numbers and doesn't have much finish left, but it's a shooter. Of course, I couldn't turn down their of asking price of $329.99 with $20 bucks in rewards for signing up for their Visa card.

Not long after, I picked up a decent Finnish M23 Luger in the original .30 Luger caliber with Finnish Luger holster and two mags for $550 on Gunbroker.

There are still deals out there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gun Broker prices for lugers are retarded. Half the morons selling them think that they have something special when they don't. There are plenty of $600-700 shooters that work. These will be bubba buff n blue jobs, but they should work. The $1000+ mismatch guns are the ones that still have good original finish on them. People are always looking for that one part to make their Luger a force matched jewel. Buy a 30 Luger commercial, brass and dies are available and I use .32 ACP bullets when loading.
View Quote

i just need 1 toggle the rest of my luger matches.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I dream of one but every single Luger in the Western United States is over 1k USD.

View Quote

No kidding.

I've always wanted one but my google research has led me to conclude that Luger collecting is strictly an old fart's game.

They think their anal retentive research and 100% impossible to prove stories are worth additional money.

I just want a shooter. I don't care if the feldtruppeneingeblatzwhatever school for Prussian game wardens used the pistol.

If you love old man story time you'll enjoy places like lugerforums.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No kidding.

I've always wanted one but my google research has led me to conclude that Luger collecting is strictly an old fart's game.

They think their anal retentive research and 100% impossible to prove stories are worth additional money.

I just want a shooter. I don't care if the feldtruppeneingeblatzwhatever school for Prussian game wardens used the pistol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding.

No actually if some would bother to learn about them it could be you collecting them. Prices have stagnated over the past few years and I see nice WWI DWM's sell cheap. As I said before it is the no nothings that look in the Blue Book and price a turd at 100%!

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I sold one not too long ago that was a great shooter, that someone had finished in some sort of extremely hard, glossy black chrome at some point in time. I bought it for $400. I sold it for $650.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it sort of depends on the honesty of the person selling, I can tell the difference between a real capture bring back and a import, but many who want a luger cannot.,  Went to one gun show and a man had a table full of Russian capture import stamped lugers that he was trying to pass of as high end collectable and asking $1700.00 each for.  He also had several post war P1 pistols with P38 slides he was trying to sell for $900.00 each.  I just looked shook my head and walked away.  I have always wanted a Luger for my collection but to be honest at the prices they bring today, I just do not want to tie up that much money in one, that I plan to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#25]
There's a fair to decent VOPO on gunbroker right now.  Five bids, a day left, $980.  There's another rougher one with a buy it now of $1050.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up a mismatched shooter Luger (DWM upper, Krieghoff lower) off gunbroker a couple months ago for $700. Some pitting on the slide, the barrel is pretty whipped, and the toggle locks back one round early with Mecgar mags (I think it just needs a new hold open spring), but it goes bang and cycles. Even feeds hollowpoints. If you're patient and shop around they're still out there for less than $1k.

FWIW, the 9mm examples in local gun stores I have seen were anywhere from $1000 - $1600.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#27]
They are out there, but you really need to do your homework before you jump in.  I just bought a very nice 1937 S/42 in 9mm for $850.00 all matching numbers.  The gun was refinished and that of course took away all of its real collector value, knowing that and how it should have looked as opposed to how it did look allowed me to negotiate the price form his 1050.00 asking price down to a more reasonable one.  But I have seen several at gun shows and on arms list that were to say the least not worth anywhere what they were asking.  Saw one at a gun show, Russian capture mismatched parts, wrong grips, and import stamped and he was asking $2400.00.  I looked at it looked at the price and offered him the $500.00 I thought it was really worth, needless to say he did not agree.  But they are out there, many times you find someone who is a collector and has a fairly nice sample but not a collectable sample Like the one I bought that just bought the very desirable collectable one he was looking for and now does not want the lesser one.  Check arms list daily and gun broker daily, and you will see them pop up from time to time.  Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't recommend buying a mismatched piece. I would advise the purchase of a nickel plated  "Presentation" Luger (snicker). The story behind said piece is that it was picked up off the body of a German general or field marshal that the veteran had killed, sometimes in the face of the entire Wehrmact (snicker smirk). Seriously though. I have seen many nickel plated, all matching, save for the mag, weapons for prices between $300.00 and $500.00.
Don't pay for the story though. NO LUGERS LEFT THE FACTORY NICKEL PLATED.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_88/1409105_SPF__Stainless_Steel_Stoeger_Luger__9mm__Mint_and_Unfired.html

I don't know much about these, and am guessing this isn't the authentic luger you're after, but saw it in the EE the other day

eta: Looks like the pics were taken down or aren't working, and it has no mag

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#30]
It's sold, and it's a post war copy.  I'd pass on that one (if it was still for sale, which it isn't).
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]
For just a shooter, I like the interarms imported Mausers that were made in the 1970s.  They are made in the Swiss style with the straight grip, which I prefer.  They are also available in longer barrel lengths.  Prices have gone up, even in just the past year alone.  But you can still find used ones for a pretty good price.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#32]
One year ago I got a 21 Commercial 9mm, refinished, matching for $700 at the LGS.  Mag sucked so added a $50 Mecgar off GB and now it runs great.

Do the gunshop loop.  Every week hit every shop in the area.  Something interesting will turn up several times a year.  You might have to wait for the Luger, but might score the $500 FAL, $795 Valmet, $800 Kimber Pro Carry Custom, etc etc.

When I got mine I went on  a Luger research kick, and at the time $800 Lugers were all over GB.   Now it does seem all the Lugers are $1000+ so just keep an eye on them, I'm sure the $800 Luger will show up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought a DWM 1918 P08 for $995 yesterday ($1,046 with tax).

It's about 85-90% on the bluing, with fairly good strawing on the small parts and all matching numbers.

It came with a 1917 dated holster in very good condition for it's age (some areas of worn finish and aa little cracking on the strap) and a spare magazine (both magazines had the period correct wood bottom), but no disassembly tool.

Now with pictures:

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow, nice score. Wish I would luck into something like that!        

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top