Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2015 3:03:41 PM EDT
I bought one of these- the features just sounded like an incredible deal for the price (Bomar sights, 25LPI frontstrap, Brown bushing and mag well, cylinder and slide hammer and sear, VZ G10 grips, Ion bond finish).  Was wondering if anyone had a Kopis and how the fitment of the parts and accuracy on the range was.

I thought I was done with 1911's and this one sucked me back in.  Economically I just can't justify the $3000 I'd have to spend to get a really proper 1911.   I'm hoping the Kopis is good, because I enjoy carrying 1911's, and this one might just stick.

My last commander was a Colt XSE with a bunch of half assed custom work.  It was pretty accurate but not really properly fitted and wasn't 8 rounds reliable (would usually have one malf ever mag or every other mag (not Colt's fault but whoever didn't properly fit the Wilson barrel in it).  It was interfearance- the slide wouldn't close totally flush (.02" from flush) just enough to activate the safety, and obviously that hurt reliability.   When I bought the Colt I really hoped that the custom work I was looking at in the shitty images on Gunbroker was done right.  I just wasn't on the right end of that deal.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:37:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#1]
Got the gun.  First impression was unlatching one of the buckles on the case which broke off.  Not shooting the case but thats a crappy design.

The gun looks nice.  Except for some horrible looking electro pencil or dot peen mfg info on the frame.

Trigger pull was breaking at 5lbs and I usually lighten my 1911s to 3.5.  This wasnt possible with this gun maybe its the series 80 safety adding weight.  I got it to 3.5 and the sear was too light so I went back to 4.5 and settled there.  

Magazine catch needs some dremel work.  It doesn't want to get out of the way when I try to seat a magazine. Something square is hitting the magazine that should be angled.

Guide rod doesnt have a hole for dissassembly and doesnt appear to come apart so I guess the gun is intended to be broken down from the slide stop.  

Sights are nice.  

Barrel has the para ramp so this will make it exceedingly hard to find a threaded barrel if I want one.  

The grip safety is comfortable and appears to be unique to para and I like it.  The safety is melted and doesnt interfere with my thumb joint or firing grip.  

The msh is very tightly fitted to the frame.

Overall im happy with the gun.  I can see evidence travis tomassie had some influence- the fitting of the barrel is good. The layout of the pistol is nice.  I bet he told some mfg people about the mag catch issue and they ignored him.  Thats a glaring issue.

Overall im happy with the gun.  It represents an excellent value despite the minor crap I could nitpick. I have yet to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Pulled the mag catch today.  Ground about 3-4 coils off the mag catch spring and modified the geometry until the magazine can be seated without hammering it with the palm of my hand.  It was slowly mangling my magazine bodies and now works properly.

I tried carrying it with the vz operator 2 grips.  They are way too sharp for that.  Bought a pair of vz blasted black micarta grips to replace them with.  According to vz those are the softest texture they have.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same issue with my 14.45 nite tac.

The mag catch was horrible out of the box.  I also hate the "dot" pattern way they engrave the s/n and mfg info.  I don't know why they can't just laser it like most.

Also...pics OP!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top