Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2002 8:08:52 AM EDT

I acquired an old Colt, USGI 1911. (made around 1917)

How do I go about converting it to .9mm?

Where can I find parts and what do I need?

Thanks for any assistance.

--LS
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean it up and put it away.....if you must have a 9mm 1911.....find a more recent model........all you can do by modifying that one is ruin a piece of history..........
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with C&L and B&G. Also, longshot, the costs involved would come close to just finding a decent 9MM. I'm inclined to ask why, but I didnt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll echo the sentiments of modifying the old Colt.  Here's what you need to change just so you'll know:
Slide
extractor
barrel
barrel bushing
recoil spring
ejector
magazine

Obviously the mag is pretty easy and the complete slide is an easy swap.  The ejector though is the protrusion on the top of the frame that's fixed in place.  If you swap it out, you won't be able to go back to your original .45 slide.  So if you're looking at a multi caliber gun, you're not going to get it.  It pretty much is one caliber or the other.  

The price of the parts alone would be very close to just purchasing a complete 9mm 1911-type.  The market isn't that big, and the price on them is usually either low or can be lowered by waving cash.  Plainly put, it isn't cost effective to switch your 1911 over.

If you're thinking about a gun that you can shoot either .45 or 9mm out of, look at the Commander.  The Commander ejector is the same shape on all calibers, so it is possible to build a slide swapper out of those.  If you go that route try to get the 9mm as the whole gun.  .45 parts are easier to get.  Be aware that sometimes the ejector itself has to be fitted for the gun, and the claiber because of the angles involved with batting the case out of the gun.  Usually it's not any problem, but if one caliber has ejection problems, you may have to have the ejector worked on to spit out both calibers.

You can assemble a full size swapable gun if you use the 9mm ejector and either modify the slide to fit the different shape or get a slide made that way.  In the end, going that route, you spend more than just keeping your 1911 in .45 and just buying a 9mm govt model.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
PLEASE don't modify that pistol.  Leave it "as is."

PRETTY PLEASE!
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and say please don't modify this 45.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Yet one more vote to leave the old girl alone!!

If you want a 9mm go buy a Browning HP!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top