Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 12:29:30 PM EDT
Having talked to several people about Colt 1911 in general, I have heard the following, and would like to know which one's real and which one's myth:

1. Dry firing won't hurt 1911.  Probably not a good practice in any case, but will it?

2. Slamming the slide on an empty chamber will damage fine trigger job.

3. When the hammer is down, it's better to pull the slide back to cock the gun than pulling the hammer back by hand, because it will cause damage to sear contact.  If you are right handed, you will pull the hammer back with your left hand, and pull the hammer slightly to the left, but will that really matter?

None of these will probably matter with mil-spec guns, but I am thinking of fine-tuned competition guns like Wilson or Les Baers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's my .02 on them
#1 Invest in a snap cap.  A $3.00 insurance policy.
#2 True, slide velocity is greater all the way to the "impact" without the weight and increased friction of a round chambering, so therefore more shock transmitted through out all internal parts.
#3 myth, with a properly fitted hammer, how much slack is there for you to exert side-loading pressure against?  If the hammer width is correct, along with all pins and holes being true there should be very little room for movement.

I'd like to hear other's opinions, also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a good example of the differing opinions involving handguns (or anything).  The two above posts were submitted around the same time.  How do they compare?
#1 CockedandLocked and I agree
#2 We disagree and site our reasons
#3 We agree, but from different viewpoints

Now ain't that just typical??

Link Posted: 2/14/2002 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  #3 has to do with #1 as if I were to practice firing at home, I'd loath to have to pull the slide back everytime, as oppose to just pull the hammer back.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#5]
......#1....True...to a point don`t overdo it............#2...a definite no-no........#3.......doesn`t make any difference..............  same already said?...or can we.. ?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
AND.....the BEST caliber for a 1911 is......?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The original one
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
quote from the owners manual of my SA ultra carry

"The Slide of a 1911-A1 pistol should never be released on an empty chamber; Especially one that has had an action job. Releasing the slide on an empty chamber causes damage to the breach face on the barrel and undue stress on all action parts, including the hammer and sear. This will ruin the the action job performed on your pistol. "
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top