Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 6:06:50 AM EDT
I would like to get a gun for the Mrs. and I have decided to get her a Sig. Two Models come to my attention, the P230 and the P232 both in Stainless. Help me to decide the right one for her.  Also, will the trigger bite when pull? as in the PPK?

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a better idea: How about the P239? It is only a skosh bigger than the .380 sigs and is a hell of a lot more effective and easier to shoot than the littler sigs. Ammo is cheaper too.

The .380 sigs are bigger than the PPKs and as such are pretty pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I absolutely love my P232.  The only P239s I have shot were in .357 sig, so I can't compare the recoils between a P232 and a P239 in 9mm.

Sizewise though, I think there is a big difference.  The P232 seems significantly smaller to me.

The only thing that will bite is the slide - and that is only if you are used to a very high grip position from shooting other types of weapons.  I just accept the fact that I will bleed a little but when I shoot it for a while.  

I think the P230 was replace by the P232 - I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple of blued P230's. They are great little guns. I've never had one bite me and I like a pretty high grip. The triggers on them are great and the double action triggers are very nice on both of them. I've also owned a couple of PPK's and there is no comparision, the SIG's out classed them in every way. I dont think you'll reget getting one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Why get the stainless?  If she's going to make it a ccw it should be light enough for her to carry all he time IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
There is little difference between the two except that they still make the 232. I prefer the lighter weight of the alloy framed models. Either one is scary accurate and totally reliable.

The grips on the 232 are slightly larger than on the older 230s but I switched mine out anyway, first to Hogue rubber finger grooves and later to the Nills stipples wood grips. The rubber hoges worked well but would bind on clothing. The Nils woods are just plain perfect.

I also have several holsters from IWB, OWB to pocket. My favorite is the pocket holster from Lou Alessi.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a better idea: How about the P239? It is only a skosh bigger than the .380 sigs and is a hell of a lot more effective and easier to shoot than the littler sigs. Ammo is cheaper too.

The .380 sigs are bigger than the PPKs and as such are pretty pleasant to shoot.

Ditto

My wife has a P239 in 9mm and she loves it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The P230 was replaced by the P232 about 4 years ago.  My P230 SS was mfg in Germany.  I am not aware of the exact differences in the models.  The machining, fit and finish is top notch compared to alot of the other pistols you'll see out there.

With regards to stainless vs. blue, the weight might be an issue for CCW.  We unfortunately don't have the option here in PRI (Illinois).

I have never had the gun bite my hand or tear at the webbing of my thumb buy I have small hands.  I agree that the Hogue grips are nice but I would not know if they catch on clothing easily.

With some Federal Hydra-shoks, the pistol will def serve as a nice close self defense weapon.

Good Luck!

Rebel 13

PS  The aluminum frame might have more bite than the stainless due to vibration dampening characteristics of steel vs. aluminum.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
the 230 was supposed to have problems feeding hollowpoint.  The changes made it a 232.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:50:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the 230 was supposed to have problems feeding hollowpoint.  The changes made it a 232.

Yeah, I've heard that too. But my 230 loves them as long as they are hot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top