Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 12:26:40 PM EDT
Am thinking  about my next pistol.  Have been seriously considering the 945 made by Smith & Wesson's Performance Center.  Want a high quality semi-auto in .45 caliber.  Living in Mass. I am pretty limited in models I can buy.  That means no HK's, Glocks, Wilsons, Les Baers, Ed Browns, Colts, Springfields etc. unless they are used and were in state prior to 1998.  I know the SW 945 is pricey, but from what I understand its essentially a hand built gun, very limited production.  Also, I think they've stopped manufacturing it.  Also, I currently have a SW1911, which I'm very happy with.

Does anyone have any comments or experience with this model?  I'm also going to try posting this in Smith & Wesson section, but I figure this gets more traffic.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There, as I understand it, not many options or aftermarket parts available for the 945 and quite simply, they dont really need them. They are superb out of the box guns as they are basically out of the S&W performance shop as they are made.

They feel REAL nice! Prices start at about $1k

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever thought about moving to a free country?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You certainly wouldn't have far to go for parts!
I can only dream I had experience with one as that model is still on my "fantasy" list.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Interestingly enough I got to shoot one this past Saturday after my CCW class. One of my students brought out one and wanted to test fire it. After the first magazine he asked me to shoot it and tell him what I thought.

It is a large and heavy gun that didn't feel "right" in my 1911 familiar hand. The grip angle is slightly different and much longer. The ballance is different and left me with the impression it is top heavy.

The gun functioned fine and seemed as accurate as most well made guns are. I would not spend anything close to $1000 for one, but that is just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are people out there who love them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Interestingly enough I got to shoot one this past Saturday after my CCW class. One of my students brought out one and wanted to test fire it. After the first magazine he asked me to shoot it and tell him what I thought.

It is a large and heavy gun that didn't feel "right" in my 1911 familiar hand. The grip angle is slightly different and much longer. The ballance is different and left me with the impression it is top heavy.

The gun functioned fine and seemed as accurate as most well made guns are. I would not spend anything close to $1000 for one, but that is just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are people out there who love them.

While the grip is a little differant than the 1911 but it is no bigger or top heavy than a 1911. It is possible though that the aforementioned grip differnence may make it seem so.  I dont know why you wouldn't spend $1000 on one if you were willing to on a 1911 as it has all the "custom" stuff you would have to add to a base 1911 to begin with and probably at a cheaper price than many. The grip reminds me of an EAA Witness grip which for me allows it to ride very low in my hand.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I've basically been spending the last couple of days talking myself into getting one.  Have been wanting to get a new .45 for some time.  Actually tried the new SIG 1911.  While I thought it was nice, I actually like my SW1911 better.  Would love to get an Ed Brown or a Les Baer, but not legal in Mass. thanks to our attorney general.  It's my understanding that Smith & Wesson has  stoppped making the 945 so I'm afraid the supply of new ones is going to start drying up pretty soon if I wait much longer.  945 sounds like its very similar to 1911, but just different enough to make it interesting.  Now if I could only find a 10mm semi-automatic that's Mass. legal:)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top