Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 7:33:00 PM EDT
All right you experts. I'm tired of getting pinched in the webbing between my thumb and trigger finger. I want to put a beavertail grip safety on my 1911 but need some professional advice first. I have an Auto Ordinance Government model that is pretty stock. Who sells the best grip safety for the money, and do I need to modify anything in my pistol to accept it? Is this something I can do at home without special tools? I love this 1911, but I'm tired of bleeding every time I go shoot. An tips would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Btt
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I found out that the Wilson high ride requires your gun be cut. Are all like this?
Any feedback appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
They all require the frame of the gun to be cut. Wilson makes one specific to the Colt that may or may not fit and doesn't require the frame to be modded, but chances aren't good it will work. I've tried them on a couple of different frames other than Colt with no success.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not an expert, but I do know that the beavertail will ahve to be fitted soemwhat usually, and for certain to make it work....

as for putting it in, I took my 1911 apart just for the hell of it with no plans or exploanations, and I was able to put it back together again, they are nicely simple

www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/ Details how he built  a matching pair of systemas, and fitted new parts to them... might be worth a read, just go to Progress then Systema project

Hope this helps

Edited for link code
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny that never happens to me when I shoot 1911s that have regular safeties.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They all require the frame of the gun to be cut.

Not entirely true.  Example:

I recently bought a Springfield Milspec.  Basic, standard 1911.

Dropped one of these in:
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7642&title=1911+AUTO+GRIP+SAFETY
(King's #204)
and with a new hammer, it fit right in.  NO frame cutting, and the fit is just fine.  Looks good too:
Before

After
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are just doing it to avoid injury rather than for the sake of adding a beavertail, why don't you just bob the hammer?

Just cut the back of the hammer off until it can't pinch you, round it off or do whatever looks good to you, cold blue, and shoot...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

CRC

I have unusually large hands. The same size as Michael Jordan in fact. (there was this display at NBA Live, an event in DC that had moldings of famous BB players hands. Mine were the same size or larger than everyone except Shaq and I think Scotty Pippen). That could be the cause of my problem.
Gloftoe that pistol looks great! That's exactly what I want to do. I heard that the extended safety helps to seat your grip higher as well as protect your web. That's part of the reason I want to get it. THat would help with sight recovery after shooting. I would like to get a bobbed hammer as well. Gloftoe, I'm gonna inquire into the safety you showed. I appreciate the link. Thanks for all the info guys. This is one of the reasons I love this site.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:21:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Hammer bite, in spite of its name is caused by the edges of the grip safety. The Kings is a good unit and I think it will work. I have a couple of the Wilson units, but I don't think they will work on your Auto. But you could buy one of each and return the one that does not fit.

But I must say this.  You have to fit the engagement arm that block the trigger. If you are not comfortable fitting parts (you have to file, reassemble, take appart, file, ....) then you should save some more money and have a smith fit you a safety.  

The Wilsons and Kings do a good of of fitting the colts I have, but nothing looks as good as a well fitted beaver tail. You might want to just get one fitted anyway. Depends on how picky you are about the gaps and such.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, true hammer bite is caused by the hammer.  Some people do get bit by the edges of the safety and call it hammer bite, but they are two different things.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I used the Wilson's drop-in beavertail with commander hammer and matching sear to eliminate my hammer bite problem on my Colt 1991.  For a "no cut" drop in part it looks pretty good, I think.  No, it doesn't look as good as a custom fit beavertail; but I wanted to install it myself and was afraid to cut the frame.  Fitting the safety took maybe an hour with multiple assembly and disassemblies to fit it correctly.  The directions I got from blindpig.com were very helpful.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

CRC

[Hans & Frans accent] It could be because of your petite girly sized hands.  [Hans & Frans accent off]

Kent
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the tips guys. The King drop in safety looks like an affordable option. I love it when a fix is cheap. If it doesn't work perfectly at first I'll play around with it. My dad is a metal shop teacher. He taught me how to use tools. I'm no gunsmith by anybody's standards, or Bob Villa, but this sounds do-able. I appreciate the help.

2IDdoc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Blindhoggif you want to do it yourself.[:\]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome! Thanks for the discussions, as I was thinking about the same thing recently.

I was thinking about a Wilson beavertail, hammer and sear for my Colt 1991A1, I imagine the Kings would work too, right?

Yeah, that damn grip safety got me too.  I've owned that Colt for over 6 years, when one day I guess my grip was too high.  Well, I have a light scar to prove the power of the 45.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
bump
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like you are looking for a "dropin" solution, but if you decide to go with a fitted beavertail and modify the frame give the Ed Brown a look.  I find them to be the most comfortable available.  I also like their tactical safeties.

Ryan
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#19]
My choice is Wilson High Ride. I like its look and feel.
Second choice would be Ed Brown. It gives you a little bit higher grip.
Brownells sells installation jigs for both:
Ed Brown

Wilson

I fitted Wilson high grip to my Commander w/o jig because by that time I didn´t knew they even execist but result was pretty good:

MN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top