Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/28/2003 2:55:25 PM EDT
My new SA Champion will be here some time next week. What kind of mags do I need to get, and where do I get them. Do I get CMC, Wilson? What kinds of base plates? This will be my primary carry gun. I would like to use 8rders if they are reliable. What do you like and why? Thanks for your recommendations.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:06:27 PM EDT
Get 8 round wilson mags from Brownells.
Or some cheaper but just as good Chip McCormick mags from the same place.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:22:47 PM EDT
I read around when I got my 1911 and,like Cyanide says, everyone pretty much likes the Wilson 47D's. I bought some and they have been flawless. I haven't tried any of the others so I can't comment on them.

h4
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:15:49 PM EDT
I've never heard a bad thing about Wilson mags.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:18:49 PM EDT
Wilson is the #1 serious choice for serious social work.

Now having said that Tripp research has an interesting contender out called the Cobra Mag. However you can get two Wilsons for the price of one Cobra Mag.

Cobra Mag

Wilson Combat
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:36:41 PM EDT
Wouldn't know. I have two .45s and they feed everything I put into them no matter what mag from cheap to expensive.

Do like the Kimbers with my Kimber just cause they say Kimber.

Tj
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:46:19 PM EDT
I also highly recommend the Wilson 47Ds. I get mine at Midway USA though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:47:59 PM EDT
I've never heard anything bad said about Wilson 47D's.

I have 3 of them myself, never a problem.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:59:10 PM EDT
Thanks guys! I appreciate the links. Wilsons seem to be the choice. I'll go with them. Thanks again for all the reponses and advise.
guns762
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:28:07 PM EDT
Actually I have heard complaints about Wilson 8 rounders in Springfields...

When you get your pistol, there will be a coupon with it that gives you the chance to buy Springfield mags for $8.00 or so each. I did that and have never had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:08:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shadowblade:

When you get your pistol, there will be a coupon with it that gives you the chance to buy Springfield mags for $8.00 or so each. I did that and have never had a problem with them.

EEEAAAAAHHH. LIKE new in box. I'm guessing, no loaded coupon. About 150-100.00 less than a NIB, so it seemed like a good deal. I'll email him and see what he says. He is a dealer, so I'll bet he keeps the coupon, or it didn't come with it to him.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:37:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By guns762:

EEEAAAAAHHH. LIKE new in box. I'm guessing, no loaded coupon. About 150-100.00 less than a NIB, so it seemed like a good deal. I'll email him and see what he says. He is a dealer, so I'll bet he keeps the coupon, or it didn't come with it to him.

So you didn't get the coupon. NIW USGIs can be had for the same price. Near as I can tell, they are identical to the mags that came with my springfield.
On that note, I did have one problem with a wilson mag. Yesterday, the hold open didn't work. I couldn't see why, and it didn't fail again after that. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
I think I'm going to try out a couple of those cobra mags as soon as I get a chance to order some.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:35:58 PM EDT
8-round mags are inherently less reliable than 7-round mags (shorter spring and follower needed to allow cramming the extra round into the mag). As noted above, Wilson makes probably the best 8-round mag. However, just about any 7-rounder will work very well, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the Wilson 47Ds.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:20:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stryfe:
So you didn't get the coupon.

I just mailed out the money order Wed. He said it was traded from another dealer, and that it had light handling wear, but was LNIB; papers, box, keys, orange plug, ect. In the photo, it looks brand new. He did not specify that the coupon was included, so I imagine it is not. I'm guessing somewhere along the way, coupon probably dissapeared, but I don't know that yet. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I doubt it. I emailed him and asked him a little while ago. I probably won't hear back untill Monday.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:25:27 PM EDT
I have an extra coupon... IM me your address if you want it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:44:28 PM EDT
I use Wilson also, just make sure you run a couple of hundred rounds through each mag before you use it as a carry or a back up mag.
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 12:08:42 AM EDT
The 7-round Mec Gars are good for range use. I think around $10.
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 12:10:13 AM EDT
Tagged to read tommorrow
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 1:20:45 AM EDT
I have yet to own a 1911 that didnt feed consistantly from Wilson mags.

The only ones I carry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 2:26:27 AM EDT
Maybe I'm lucky as all the assorted mags I gathered through the years work in all my 1911s.
Not counting the $5 gunshow specials or other off the wall brands.
One exception...Wilsons will not hold the slide open on my Gold Cup.
Even CMc makes a few grades in a few sizes...7, 8 and 10 rounders.
The 11 round Italian jobs have even been flawless so far.
Nobody says you must have all of one make, but I agree Wilson or CMc power mags are a good start point.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:17:25 PM EDT

I have an extra coupon... IM me your address if you want it.

Wow, that is very generous of you. I shouldn't be surprised. That is why I feel at home here.

I did get the coupon with my gun on Thurs. It was NIB. It had a scuff on the slide on the left side. He emailed me about it when I asked. It took my about 2min with some 1500grit sand paper and the blemish was gone. I am stoked. I just picked up some ammo for it today. Mags will have to wait till after Christmas. I am going to go with the 47D's. Thanks to all who replied and helped me out.

BTW, just so everyone knows, Marshfield Arms is a great place to do buisness. I found the gun on Gunbroker at a great price. Service was excellent. Joe is a class act to deal with. I did not ask about the loaded coupon, and he never said it came with one. The gun was listed as LNIB. I didn't expect it, but the coupon was there, and the gun was NIB. Do some buisnes with him. You won't be sorry.
guns762
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2003 1:28:28 PM EDT by W-W]

Originally Posted By SGB:
Wilson is the #1 serious choice for serious social work.

Now having said that Tripp research has an interesting contender out called the Cobra Mag. However you can get two Wilsons for the price of one Cobra Mag.

Cobra Mag

Wilson Combat

If you are a C&R the Tripps are 33.00 a pop at Brownells.

Much cheaper then a trip to a 'smith for a fussy 1911.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:19:49 PM EDT
I use Wilson's and Kimber Magazines in My Remingington Rand,Kimber and Colt.

I also have a couple of the McCormick's Shooting Stars that work real good
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:08:44 AM EDT
These folks make the .45 Novak mags. About $6 cheaper than the Novak flavor. Haven't tried these yet but I think Santa is gonna bring me a couple this year.

www.copesdist.com/colt.htm

The ACT-MAG not the ProMag

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:17:09 PM EDT
Does anyone use the CMC 10rnd mags? Do you have to modify the lips after extensive use?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:43:11 PM EDT
Chip McCormicks for under twenty bucks.. I've tried the Wilsons, and while they're fine and dandy, so are the chips for a good bit less. For a hardcore mag collecting habit though, USGI 7 rounders would be my choice. Compared to McCormicks, the stock mag that came with my Kimber looks like crap, though it too feeds like a champ.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:46:36 AM EDT
Wilsons or Chip McCormick Power mags.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:26:14 AM EDT
I have the same pistol as you, its my CCW. I use the McCormick 8 rounders without a problem, Even Uploading so that I have 9 shots with the first mag is OK. I have had no luck with any GI issue mags, even brand new out of the wrap in my Champion.

I buy 50 rd boxes of Hydrashocks. Load half the box for carry, end of the month shoot that ammo, reload and buy another box.
Top Top