Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 1:15:52 PM EDT
Swallow all food or drink in your mouth before reading this question, it's for your keyboards safety.

I have a pretty good idea of what constitutes a 1911 style pistol, but I would like a clear diffinition of what is, or isn't a 1911 model pistol. I would guess it's any pistol that has the same basic design as the 1911, but would that include my baby eagle? & what would disqualify a pistol from this designation? I hate looking ignorant, but it will save me any embarassment later, by not misspeeking myself, & looking like a dofuss in a gun enviroment. Thanks & try not to hurt your self laughing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to be REAL picky, what makes a 1911 is any pistol that meets the M1911 and M1911A1 specification, that was submitted to the United States Government for the purpose of fullfilling a contract for the said weapon, and as such, it bears "Property of the US" markings.

Colt's commercial 1911s were "Government Models."

Of course all of this is pre-dating dozens of other companies marketing "1911s" and Colt's various model changes starting with the Series 70.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would guess it's any pistol that has the same basic design as the 1911, but would that include my baby eagle?

The Baby Eagle is a CZ 75 relative (originally named the Jericho 941) made from Tanfoglio parts and assembled in Israel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
This is easy.  Look at J. Brownings original design and any gun with that same design is a 1911 clone ,doesn't make a difference of manufacturer.
This does not mean any gun that shoots the .45 ACP.  Baby Eagle....WHAT? That's like saying that a Glock in .45 is a 1911 clone..
Go to 1911.org and answer your own question.
LAUGH?  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
For me it's the link and the pin.  Without that, it's a Browning design, but not a Govt Model-type.  

I'd also say it should use the standard SA Govt Model trigger mechanism as a basis, even if other safety devices, etc get added.  I'd say you could make a case that a DA system is possible on a GM though and it's not going to be the same.

HPs, CZs, Glocks, Sigs, Astras, Stars, USPs, pretty much everything else that uses a tilting barrel to lock with a cam slot is still a Browning based design, just not a M1911-type.

That being said my .380 GM doesn't have a link and pin, so maybe my theory does suck, but for me it's the link and the pin that make a M1911-type gun.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no reason to be ashamed to ask questions about subjects you know little about.

That does not make you seem like an idiot

That is how you learn and we all had to start somewhere.

What makes one seem like an idiot is  posting long drawn out outright lies and bullshit about subjects that they clearly know NOTHING about.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
A couple of features that 1911s have that make them easily discernable.

- They all have a thumb safety.
- Most have a Barrel Bushing.  Those that don't, have bull barrels
- Most of them accept single-stack 7 or 8 round magazines.  There are some exceptions to this - such as modified double-column frames.  Some companies that make wider frames are: Kimber, Para Ordnance, Springfield, and Wilson.
- Most have a fairly small and rounded trigger guard.
- Most are Single-Action Only.  There are exceptions to this, such as the newer LDA (light double action) 1911 style pistols made by Para Ordnance.
- Most have a grip safety.  Some operators pin their grip safeties down either internally, or externally with tape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top