Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 10:33:58 AM EDT
I have a line on an "early model" Series 80 1911 at a decent price, but I have no idea when the series 80 began production. Anyone know when this was?

I wanted to get a series 80 (series 80 because of the larger ejection port) Colt 1911 from before the slide into mediocrity and oblivion, so I would have a decent pistol to show for it. I believe this pistol fits the bill, as it has the tiny sights, short trigger, polished barrel hood and polished spur hammer.

The grips are the old walnut checkered with the gold Colt medallion.

Seems like what I wanted....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I am fairly confident in the early 80's. The 80 series is the model with the firing pin safety. Personally, I sold my Colt 1911's, all 70 series. My WW2 Mil-spec Springfield is more accurate without the collet bushing and never ever jams like my Colts always seemed to do.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The series 80 started production in 1983.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info! I confirmed the 1983 date in my collector's manual...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top