Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 7:45:15 PM EDT
I am looking at a used Taurus model 441.  It is in very good condition, looks new.  I noticed some moment or play in the cylinder, it is the same when the gun is cocked.  Is this normal or bad?  If it is normal how much is to much?
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't give you an exact amount but I'd know it if i saw it. My smith and wesson .357 has about .005" movement measured at the outside radius of the cylinder. IT functions fine with that amount of movement. The end of the revolver barrel has a forcing cone so a LITTLE play is acceptable. I got a hand-me down 22 revolver from my grandfather after he passed away. if was really worn out if it's too out of whack part of the bullet will impact the face of the frame next to the cone and it will spray sideways out of the gun. It is very bad. I mad that little POS non functional.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Check cylinder play with the trigger pulled as well.  On many designs, there is a locking system that will hold the cylinder steady when you pull the trigger, that doesn't engage when the trigger is at rest.  The result is you can get more play in some guns with the trigger forward, that isn't there when it's pulled.  Since you only shoot it with the trigger pulled, it's more important to find out the play with the trigger pulled all the way back.

There's always some play.  If your chambers don't line up with the barrel, you will get problems though.  If you have doubts that there should be as much play as you find, compare it to others and figure it out.  When in doubt, have someone who knows look at it.  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
A little play while at rest is almost normal.  My GP100 has a little...

What you DO want to check is how it feels at FULL LOCKUP, on EACH chamber.  Here's how you do it.  With the gun pointed in a SAFE direction, thumb the hammer back.  Squeeze the trigger and HOLD IT.  EASE the hammer back down.  Keep holding the trigger, and then check the cylinder play.  Do this for each chamber in the cylinder.  There should be VERY little play.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Since it's a newer Taurus, if you can get it for a great price, with or without cylinder play, you're still safe buying the gun.  The Taurus warranty is lifetime, and they do fine customer serivce.  If you think there's too much, just send it to them and they'll ix whatever's wrong with it.

Their warranty doesn't extend to their older revolvers, so check out their website to see what revolvers it does cover and that this is one of them.  If it is covered (and I think it should be on a 441), then you don't need to worry about financing any gunsmithing.  

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top