Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 4:57:43 PM EDT
For about the same price I can either get a new Rock Island 1911A1, or a Used Glock 26...

I'm not too big of a fan of the tupperware triggers, as I love 1911A1 grips & smoothness of triggers...

My current CCW gun is giving me troubles at the moment, and by next week I should have enough money to buy either of these two handguns.  I can buy the 1911A1 Rock Island new for $350+tax, and the used Glock 26 for $330+tax from a local pawn shop.  There is nothing wrong with the Glock, I inspected it, and field stripped it.  Also there appears to be nothing wrong with the NEW 1911A1...

I've just heard nothing but conflicting reports on the Rock Island 45s, and the same for the Glocks...

I've fired several different 1911A1s, and LOVE kimbers.  I can sometimes find a kimber used for $550, but cannot afford that kind of purchase for quite a while.  I feel "naked" without a gun on my hip lately, and am seeking another good budget gun.  I heard the Rock Islands have "soft" lock-up points, and this is bad?  I have only a little idea how 1911s work, just that I love how they shoot/feel.

On the same token, I've fired several different Glocks (17, 19, 27, & 36).  I am no stranger to them, and have found them to be pretty accurate.  However, I find that I generally can get more accuracy out of 1911s (likely due to the trigger).  I've also heard of the Kabooms, but know they're likely the exception more than the rule; Especially in their 9mm guns.

I'm just not sure which one to get.  The price of the Glock is enticing, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to a pretty much 'safety-less' used gun with a mediocre trigger (that can, admittedly be improved for about $30.00).  On the other hand, I'm not sure if I want to commit to a possibly "short-term-life" 1911A1 which will cost me a fortune in ammunition to practice!

I guess when it comes down to practicing costs, the .45 is negligible, as the 9mm costs about $0.10/rd to shoot, and 45 costs about $0.135/rd (prices of WOLF FMJ) for practicing...  Who knows.

WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a RIA compact and so far it's not bad.  I've put 94 rounds of full metal jacket through it without a single malfunction.  I did have some problems with Hydrashoks but as I understand it this is not uncommon for 1911's.  I made some minor modifications and shot my remaining 9 Hydrashoks with no malfunctions.  It will require more testing but it looks like it will work out well.  
I chose the 1911 because I wanted a traditional safety.  I didn't like the idea of not having a safety, and I grew up with hunting rifles so clicking a safety off is natural to me.  If you don't feel the need for the safety, I'd say get the Glock in 9mm.  If you want the safety, get the 1911.  The operation is simple.  Another gun to consider is the Springfield XD9 or 40.  They have an added grip safety but otherwise look much like a Glock.  I almost bought one of those.  They are in the $400-450 range I believe.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
$350 1911 pistols that are reliable and good quality are few and far between.

Glocks are mostly all quality and 100% reliable.

There is no question here as to the better gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with the G26.  Will conceal much better.  I love mine and carry it almost daily.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#4]
It takes a very good 1911 to compare with the reliability of a Glock.

Even some 1911s that you pay $1,000 or more for can't match a Glock 26 as far as reliability.

When it comes to a cheap junk 1911 such as the Rock Island it does not have a chance.

No experienced thinking intelligent person would adivse the RI 1911 over the Glock 26.

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
G26 is great, but can be big in summer if you are small.  I don't like my 26 as a "pocket gun".  If you have a .380 CCW look at the Kahr pm9.  I have not found any .380 that are much smaller the the Kahr and it is 9mm and a lot slimmer then the G26.  Just another angle.  I like my .380 but I really close to getting a pocket .357 or a Kahr pm9.

What I love about the 26 for travel is it cheap, mags are cheap etc.  Nothing fancy or sentimental and you could replace the whole rig in a day.  My other (hi cap) glocks are worth a fortune by the time you gather everything that goes with them for a trip.

PS, I have bought most of my glocks used because they are so reliable it does not matter.  The only new one was for the wife / pistol box.  To be honest 90% of the people out there will put 200 or 300 rounds through a handgun and get bored or not improve and blame the gun.  I bought my G26 used for $350 and have zero malfunctions with any loads.  Don't be afraid of a used glock one bit.  Just make sure you like it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the great advice so far guys!!!  I still haven't heard back from the gunsmith about repairing my 380.  I have no idea how much it's going to cost in the end...

Depending upon how much my 380 costs, I'll likely still get the Glock, because the opportunity for that price on a G26 only comes about maybe once or twice a year for me...  When I see it, I never seem to have the $$, and when I don't buy it, and don't see another for that price for several months, I often kick myself.  I'm working my way out of credit card debt, and have some spare money saved up...  I'm really thinking of getting a gun with the spare $$, but the only thing maybe stopping me is the credit card bill, and whether or not I want to cut into this spare/emergency money for the gun, or the credit card.

Jokingly, I can always rob a bank with the gun, but that's not a nice thing to say.  There have been 3 bank robberies in the past couple weeks here, one in the bank I frequently go to...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Hello cornbread2,
Can you please post your experiences with a RIA 1911?
Thanks,
Jim

Quoted:
It takes a very good 1911 to compare with the reliability of a Glock.

Even some 1911s that you pay $1,000 or more for can't match a Glock 26 as far as reliability.

When it comes to a cheap junk 1911 such as the Rock Island it does not have a chance.

No experienced thinking intelligent person would adivse the RI 1911 over the Glock 26.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A 1911 I peel off a grand for is going to outperform the Glock26, both in terms of accuracy and what I want out of my CCW.

That said, I voted for the G26 in the poll because the Rock Island is certainly not something I'd bet my life on (concept of CCW). By no means do I spit on the Glock, it's quite a reliable line of guns.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
After looking at the Kahr PM9, I see no reason to carry a .380 as a pocket gun.  I have a Colt Pocketlite, and it is great, but now that 9mm's are the same size and weight, why bother with a .380?  As I was told years ago, this gun is for sticking in someones ear and pulling the trigger.

I will probably sell mine and get something else.

I personally would never trust my life to a cheap 1911.  A cheap Glock yes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
You might check into a Makarov...Some are <200.00 and a East German (C&R eligible)is about 300.00.  You can get it in .380 (if you already have lots of ammo already) or 9x18 which is a better choice for ccw.  You can buy a replacement barrel for changing calibers if you want.  Mags go for as little as 7-8 bucks.

AND it'll eat ANY AMMO w/o a hiccup.  Man are they ever built!

look here www.makarov.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top