Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/10/2003 2:10:00 PM EDT
A few months ago I picked up my very first 1911, a S&W, which is the only 1911 for less than $2500.00 available in Mass. I really like it, and since I have a Hi=Power too, I feel like I have 2 of the best og JB's designs. Anyhow, what the heck is the half cock hammer position for?????
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:15:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/10/2003 2:16:52 PM EDT by tivoli410]
carrying cocked and locked (hammer cocked, safety on)

some people like carrying their gun this way

might help with a more accurate first shot in a defensive situation
if the first shot hits dead-on then it could end the situation quickly
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:19:18 PM EDT
Perhaps I misunderstand you, but I understand "cocked", what I don't understand is the position of "half cocked" where the hammer is held in a position not so far back that a pull on the trigger will release it, but held well off the back of the slide. This position is half way back to fully cocked...
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:33:17 PM EDT
well hmmph.. got me there
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:37:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:53:52 PM EDT
if somehow the hammer was to fall it will fall to half cock whereas if the trigger is depressed it goes all the way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:57:39 PM EDT
Picture a live round chambered, hammer down (for whatever reason), you go to cock it and your thumb slips off...the 1/2 cock notch catches the hammer.
Also in the event the full cock notch fails, it would keep it from going full auto unexpectedly, again stopping on the 1/2 cock notch.
It's not made to be carried in that mode as dropping the gun on the hammer could shear that notch, leaving it to impact the firing pin, possibly setting one off.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:00:56 PM EDT
What anothergene was trying to say is that the half-cock notch is another one of the many safety devices built into the 1911 design.

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:22:23 PM EDT
The half cock notch is not an acceptable mode of carry or a safety position for the hammer. The half cock notch is present on the hammer as a passive safety device only meant to be used in the event of parts failure. Should the hammer begin to fall due to a broken sear nose, or broken full cock notch, or other reason the sear will catch the hammers half cock notch and prevent the gun from discharging.

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:28:34 PM EDT
(Glock owner)

"What's a Safety?"

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:56:01 PM EDT
From the movie "Blackhawk Down", Delta operator wiggles his trigger finger in the air and says, "This is my safety sir."
Sign me,
Glock Shooter
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:07:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/11/2003 2:23:03 PM EDT by cornbread2]

Originally Posted By anothergene:
It's not made to be carried in that mode as dropping the gun on the hammer could shear that notch, leaving it to impact the firing pin, possibly setting one off.

That is fact because I know it will happen.

We have a local idiot that like many on the internet thinks he knows it all. He would never listen to reason.

This moron carried a Springfield 1911 around for about 6 years with a round in the tube with the hammer on half cock.

I told this idiot at least 100 times that sooner or later this would get him or someone else killed but like most idiots he would not listen.

One day hw was cleaning his garage when he knocked the 1911 off a shelf and it hit the floor directly on the hammer. It fired bearly missed his left ear sending a round through his brand new roof.

I had to replace his sear and he had to fix his roof.

He no longer owns the 1911 because according to him they are dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:16:57 PM EDT
Sounds to me like HE'S dangerous.

Anothergene beat me to the correct analysis, dangit!

It prevents AD's that would otherwise occur if your thumb slipped off the hammer before getting to the full cock notch when manually cocking the gun.

CJ

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:36:55 PM EDT
$2500.00 for a S&W you have to be shiting me.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:41:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AKsRule:
(Glock owner)

"What's a Safety?"

So 'Glock owner' is a code phrase for doesn't know how his pistol works?

The half-cock is an example of a passive safety, and the Glock includes three passive safeties in its design.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:34:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kekozski:
$2500.00 for a S&W you have to be shiting me.

Um... that's not what I said. I said the S&W "is the only 1911 for less than $2500.00 available in Mass". The S&W ran me $699. There is ONE other new 1911 available in Mass and it is the $2500.00 Strayer Voigt(spelling?).
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:28:23 PM EDT
If there that much you should move from Mass. and i should sell my guns there and then go back to a gun friendly state and buy twice as much!

Also during WWII Lefties would use the half cock as a full safety since there were no ambi selectors in those days. DAMN Military. . . They always leave us southpaws out fo the design plans!

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:47:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ramjet308:
If there that much you should move from Mass. and i should sell my guns there and then go back to a gun friendly state and buy twice as much!

Yup. I will go when my situation permits it. No question about it.

Also during WWII Lefties would use the half cock as a full safety since there were no ambi selectors in those days. DAMN Military. . . They always leave us southpaws out fo the design plans!

Interesting! I'm a southpaw too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:27:56 PM EDT
The half cock is another integral safety. Should all else go wrong and the hammer begins to fall without being manipulated to do so, the half cock notch will catch it before it reaches the firing pin.

Damian
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 12:59:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2003 1:00:36 AM EDT by 1911Shootist]
If you're new to the 1911 some good advice is, forget about the hammer. It should not be manually manupilated, as it is dangerous to manually cock or decock a loaded 1911. As for the half-cock notch, just forget it's there. It's a passive safety device intended primarily to deal with a mechanical failure of the fire control parts.

Carry the gun cocked and locked. To cock it, rack the slide with a loaded mag in place and flip on the thumb safety. If you need to unload it, drop the mag, release the safety, and rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber. You can now lower the hammer manually, but I prefer to point the gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger (dry fire).

Strictly speaking, the only proper way to manipulate a 1911 hammer is via the slide or the trigger, despite the fact that a lot of cowboys will use it like a six-shooter.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:14:51 AM EDT
What 1911shootist said. The right way to work a 1911 hammer is with the slide.

Personally, I know a guy who shot himself in the leg trying to "ride" a 1911 hammer down with a round in the chamber.

Why on earth he tried to do that is beyond me.
Top Top