Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2003 8:52:32 PM EDT
Lately I've had to carry my issued Glock 22 for CCW and now I would like something a little easier to carry.

The guns I've been looking at are the Sig 229 in .357 sig and maybe a Kimber custom II. I've been wanting a 1911 for a while but can't afford it and another gun for CCW. I was hoping I could kill two birds with one stone.

So is the 1911 more difficult to carry concealed than the sig or my Glock?

And also does anyone know what the weight of the trigger pull is on these two guns in DA/SA and also the pull on a USP is in DA/SA?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd personally go with the Kimber but I'm pretty sure they don't make a DA/SA Custom II.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've got the 22, I'd consider the 27.  It's the baby .40 cal.  It'll take the same mags as your 22, which is good if you need to throw in your Hi-caps in a SHTF senario.  Also, if you're in a uniformed line of work, it can double as a ankle piece.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for a CCW weapon I would recomend the Glock 23.  It is smaller than the 22 but larger than the 27.  The 27 is a bit of a handfull.  The 23 will take your 22 mags as well as 13 rnd mags that fit flush.  It operates the same at the 22.  As far as concealabitly it can be covered up in just about any style of dress.  If you really want to go 1911 Get the Kimber TLE.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on what problems you're having carrying the G22, the guns you mention probably won't be much of an improvement.

As for the G23, I had one and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.  There have been very few guns I absolutely hated to shoot, and the G23 was one of them.  

The P229 is an excellent gun by all accounts, and while more compact will also be a little heavier.

I would recommend Kimber's LW Commander clone (the Pro Ultra Carry CDP Tactical II or whatever the hell.)  Aluminum frame, Commander-length slide.  I wouldn't rule out an actual Colt, either.  I have one that's my favorite 1911 to carry, hands down.

You may also want to look into the Springfield XD-40.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Unlike Ken, I really like my G23...just shows you how diverse people's opinions can be on the same guns. In this case, however, I would second the recommendation for the G27. It is much smaller than the 229, less expensive, works exactly the same way, and can use the same mags and ammo, not to mention doubling in a vest pocket or holster as a second gun on duty. You have several trigger / spring options to choose from as well as magazine extensions which can allow a little more hand to fit on the grip if needed.

In the middle of an off duty encounter, with perhaps your family along, no backup, no shotgun or carbine, no radio, etc. etc. is NOT the place to try and make a transition from your more familar duty sidearm! The G27 is not my most favorite gun, but I think it's a no-brainer here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If your issue sidearm is a Glock 22, I'll go along with what many of the above posters said and recommend a Glock 27.  It is very concealable, and functions in an identical manner with your Glock 22.  As a bonus, you can throw a Glock 22 mag in your pocket too, thus adding a 15 round reload in case you need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top