Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2003 2:49:35 PM EDT
Hey... I have a S&W 1911, and have just recently received a recall notice.  Did I make a BIG mistake purchasing this pistol?  I am now considering trading/selling it for a Glock 21. Anyone have any input?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The recall is no biggie, IMO. They'll fix it & it'll be better than new.

Or, I can give you $100 for it.    
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W and 1911 is just not Natural.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Call them up. They will send you all you need to ship it back to them and they will get it back to you in around a week. No big deal. They found a shortcoming in the original safety design that they will upgrade for you. While it is there, they will go over it and check to make sure that everything else is as it should be. I have one and it is a great gun. The two friends I have with them (one guy also bought a second one) also love theirs. One guy is a smith and he stripped his down and said he'd put it up against anything even close in cost.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
It is not a biggie.  Well, yes it would be a problem in use, but the flaw is not one indicative of quality, though some engineer should get a kick in the butt.

The problem arose from trying to use the grip safety and associated link from the existing 945.  The 945 (a performance center pistol) is a beautiful item, but the grip angle is slightly - 2 or 3 degrees - different from a 1911.  Since the new  Smith 1911 is to be a duplicate of the true 1911, the grip angle came into play.  Obviously, a different angle called for a different length of the grip safety link (the Smith engineer had not paid attention in Trigonometry class).  So, you'll now get one of the correct dimension.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top