Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/30/2003 5:35:27 AM EDT
Read a favorable review on these pistols by Mr. Ayoob in a Shotgun News. He gave the guns high marks in accuracy, reliability, and durability. The price is nice also.

I was all set to get a Sig 220 till I tried the triggers on 5 different guns. Man, way too much travel for my taste. Too bad cause from what I've read they are really good guns.

Anyone here got anything good, bad,or indifferent to say about the Rugers? What's the difference in the P90 and P97?

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:35:14 PM EDT
Rugers are the Volkswagons of guns: cheap & reliable. They'll shoot anything you put in them & will always go "bang" when you pull their trigger.

Downside is twofold, IMO. They're heavier than most guns in their size class. They're also less accurate than almost any gun in their size class too.

Now, if a 3-4" group doesn't bother you & you don't have to have 1-3" groups, then the Ruger can make you very happy.

They take a bit of a beating on resale value as well.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:05:27 PM EDT
I have a P90 and had a P97, just prefer the more military style of the P90. With me shooting, it's just as accurate as my P220 and just as reliable. Damn thing never hiccups.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:26:56 AM EDT
If you're serious about one, try it out before you buy it. The Rugers have a reputation for having bad triggers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:49:41 AM EDT
My Kp90 eats all ammo I feed it, is as accurate as any of my other Big Name 45's and costs about half as much.

The trigger is lacking a bit, but it isn't a $1000 gun either.

My only gripe is the gun feels top heavy/blocky
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:37:02 PM EDT
I dont have experience with the 90/97 models but I do have a KP95D, the 9mm version of the P97. It has been dead nuts reliable and plenty accurate, I would say that it shoots minute of anglo at least.

It is relatively compact and my wife really enjoys shooting it as well, supposedly the long strand glass fibers in the composite grip help reduce recoil.

I think it is a great gun for the money. After I buy a 1911 I will probably by a P90 or two.

I really wish Ruger would get on the light rail bandwagon, a P90 with a light rail would be purchased immediately!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:31:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bacchus:
If you're serious about one, try it out before you buy it. The Rugers have a reputation for having bad triggers.

Yeah, it has that reputation among those that have 'heard it somewhere'.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 2:36:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:
Rugers are the Volkswagons of guns: cheap & reliable. They'll shoot anything you put in them & will always go "bang" when you pull their trigger.

Downside is twofold, IMO. They're heavier than most guns in their size class. They're also less accurate than almost any gun in their size class too.

Now, if a 3-4" group doesn't bother you & you don't have to have 1-3" groups, then the Ruger can make you very happy.

They take a bit of a beating on resale value as well.

My .o2

Nice post, center mass at 50 yards is fine by me.

Tj
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:26:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:

Tj

Yeah, well, there's always that one in a million gun, eh?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:02:34 AM EDT

Tj

Well since you called, here it goes.

I have a P95 9mm which I can hit the black on pistol target consitantly at 50 yards which I can also do with my other 9mm full frames.

I spent one day on the range with the same model .45. Black composite bottom and SS upper. After a while I could hit the target consistently but the black was more luck than acuracy. The one I shot had a bit of a bad habit of jamming but then I put alot of rounds through it and don't know how much oil was on the gun prior to the range outing since it wasn't mine.

Although many claim the Ruger .45 is heavy, I found it a bit light with excessive barrel climb compared to a 1911 clone. I shot much better with one of my less expensive clones than the Ruger .45.

I am actually quite impressed with my P95 9mm and although I bought if for it's corrosion resistance, boat gun, I found it quite reliable and with fair acuracy. The .45 though I wouldn't throw one away, it's not on my go out and buy list.

Better Bob? I took your first post as a comment on Ruger's in general not specifically the .45.

Tj
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:14:28 AM EDT

Tj

I have a P95 9mm which I can hit the black on pistol target consitantly at 50 yards which I can also do with my other 9mm full frames.

I spent one day on the range with the same model .45. Black composite bottom and SS upper. After a while I could hit the target consistently but the black was more luck than acuracy. The one I shot had a bit of a bad habit of jamming but then I put alot of rounds through it and don't know how much oil was on the gun prior to the range outing since it wasn't mine.

Although many claim the Ruger .45 is heavy, I found it a bit light with excessive barrel climb compared to a 1911 clone. I shot much better with one of my less expensive clones than the Ruger .45.

I am actually quite impressed with my P95 9mm and although I bought if for it's corrosion resistance, boat gun, I found it quite reliable and with fair acuracy. The .45 though I wouldn't throw one away, it's not on my go out and buy list.

Better Bob? I took your first post as a comment on Ruger's in general not specifically the .45.

Tj

I guess I have the "One in a million .45"...

A firend of mine has one also....go figure

Both of these guns are early production guns, don't know how quality is from there. Haven't fired any other p90's
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:53:26 AM EDT
I had a P90, accuracy was good, reliabilty was very good, but it was to big and clunky, the design of the gun makes it sit too high in the hand, not a desirable feature, you want low with a natural point. I'm not sure what the main purpose is for this gun but I will assume self-defense/carry, you were willing to spend a fair amount of money on a Sig 220 but didn't like the trigger, may I suggest a Para-Ordanence LDA model they have one with a 4.25" barrel 10/13 shots of .45 time proven design (1911) and .45 stopping power.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:45:05 PM EDT
I love my P97. 20lb empty propane tanks are toast at 75 yds. Double action trigger pull isn't the best, but the single action is very light. A very good buy. You might want to take a look at the CZ 97, as well. Another excellent pistol for less cash.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:09:25 AM EDT
My P90 and P97 are a lot of bang for the buck. Mine have never bobbled and are both accurate. In regard to the triggers just pull the damn thing. If firing in DA mode just pull the trigger straight through. Too many of us stage or attempt to stage DA handguns. They are meant to be fired by pulling the trigger straight through.

The single action trigger pull is two stage like most other DAs. We accept this type of trigger pull on a Sig or CZ75 but expect more from a Ruger. I don't get it?

All the people that crack on P Series Rugers shoot shoot a Kel-Tec P40, Taurus P111, or FEG PA-63. If you don't like a P Series SA trigger I suggest you try an untuned Browning High-Power with the magazine saftey intact. You will then marvel at the Ruger's great trigger.

Regards,

Richard:D
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:42:30 PM EDT
I had a p97 for a while and I regret having to sell it in a money pinch. I really liked the way it shot, it was actually very accurate. The trigger never bothered me at all, the DA pull was a little stiff, but not as bad as a USP and the SA pull was very nice. Mine never malfunctioned in any way. The only gripe I had was with the grip. The fiberglass/polymer or whatever they use is preatty slick, especially if your hand is a little sweaty. I put a hogue slip-on on mine and it helped alot. I got mine at a show for $329.95 but that was a couple years ago. IMO it is the best .45 for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:41:42 PM EDT
I believe I have one of the cheaper P-90s, came out about two years ago or so, blued slide with a brushed stainless (appearing) frame. Awesome trigger, my P220 can't even come close to competing as far as trigger pull is concerned. It is a bit chunky and fits awkwardly (initially) in my hand. Very reliable too. Shoots reloads loaded with Red Dot very well.

The way I look at is for the money can one really complain. Nothing against a 220 but heck, buy two P-90s for the money and you can have one for each hand.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:12:35 AM EDT
Thanks for all the replies y'all. Think I'm gonna get a 1911. Took my Berreta 92FS to the range this weekend along with a buddies Llama .45 1911 clone. I really like the Berreta and I shoot it well but I don't like that DA trigger.

I'm interested in the S&W 1911. Read a couple complimentary reviews on it and it's in the same price ballpark as a Sig P220.

Shabo
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
do yourself a favor and at least look at dan wesson's patriot. excellent 1911 and an incredibile value.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:38:08 AM EDT
my first .45 was a p90.

accurate gun but had a few issues i didn't like.

Heavy and too bulky for ccw. it was strictly a range gun.

had feed problems after about 100rnds without cleaning.

mike
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:55:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/9/2003 10:57:33 AM EDT by LARRYG]

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
my first .45 was a p90.

accurate gun but had a few issues i didn't like.

Heavy and too bulky for ccw. it was strictly a range gun.

had feed problems after about 100rnds without cleaning.

mike

I always hear that, but the damn HKs are even bigger and I never hear that about them. The 1911s are just as big. Could it be the price? I carry my P90 regularly in a hip or shoulder holster, no problem.

Never had a feeding problem except when I tried bullshit mags.

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:59:15 AM EDT

Tj

Tj

And exactly which 1911 is less expensive than the P90??????????
Top Top