Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2003 11:37:50 AM EDT
I recently ordered and received a CZ-52. First let me say that this is a very nice handgun. The finish on it is great and everything seems tight. However attempting to dry fire the gun it seems that the hammer does not come down on the firing pin. I have no book for this so I am not sure if it supposed to do this or not. Let me explain this. When I cock the hammer and pull the trigger, it appears that the hammer does not fall all the way foward to hit the little circle of metal that is by my guess the firing pin.. Any suggestions. I am still waiting for the ammo to be delivered before i can test it.. Thank you.. Lil

p.s. I also posted this in the c&r forum in case some of you don't get over there...
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
#1 Do not dry fire!  It's the quickest way to bugger up your Cz52.  The factory firing pin is brittle & will not stand up to being dry fired much.  Unless something is majorly screwed up the hammer should be hitting the firing pin.  Take a new wood pencil with an unused eraser & drop it down the barrel with the pistol pointed up.  Drop the hammer & the pencil should jump if the firing pin is being smacked.  
Also try this test using the hammer drop on the safety.  If the pencil jumps when you use the safety hammer drop DO NOT USE! with live ammo in chamber or you will have an AD.

Check out Makarov.com for info & on the Cz52.  They also sell accessories for the Cz.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your quick response, I did the first test with the pencil. And it did make the pencil jump. I did it a few times and it looks like some strikes where harded than some. I may either just return it for echange, or have my gunsmith take a look at it..
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#3]
So its bad to dry fire all handguns or just this CZ? Iv'e heard conflicting reports, and then when you shoot a glock the only way to take it apart is to dry fire it, is it stronger or something?

Also, can you buy these CZ 52's new? Iv'e only seen them used, you may want to check into that Lildegen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Its not a good idea to dry fire most handguns, CZ-52s are bad because the firing pin can/will break if done enough.

I dont think you can get CZ-52's new, as they are a old Czech surplus C&R handgun
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I dont think you can get CZ-52's new, as they are a old Czech surplus C&R handgun

Unless I'm mistaken the Czechs only made them from 1952-1954+/- & just rebuilt/refurbed them when needed.  The Cz52 original finish is a gray parkerized color, the refurbed ones are dark black/blued.  They're all 50+ years old, some just were used more than others.

I doubt anybody would be willing to make new commercial ones, $$$$$$$
Overly complicated for what it is, not too many roller locked pistols around...just the Cz52 & the HK P9 that I know of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top