Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2003 6:25:38 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience with the polymer framed 1911 pistol with the external extracter? Is it as reliable has the steel framed Wilsons? Do the double stack mags feed well?  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
the KZ45?  they sure look nice.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes that is the model #.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a KZ-45 (Full size).  It is reliable and compared to the problems a friend has had with a CQB, the KZ is quite reliable.  This is just one KZ and one CQB out of thousands though, so take the above with a grain of salt.  

The external extractor works just fine.  

I did send my KZ back to Wilson to have them open up the chamber just a bit for reliability sake.  

I typically shoot S&B to get brass and have had good results with well over a 1,000 rounds of the S&B.  I believe I had 3 or 4 FTF, no FTE.  I will note that my KZ will not shoot 200gr LSWC at all.  I loaded up about 600 of them with varying OALs and could not get them to work (they were great for Slap-Rack-Bang drills though).

I currently feed the KZ Rem. 230 Golden Sabers on S&B brass with W231 powder.  I have had good success with these reliability wise, and I match their OAL to my carry rounds (factory 230gr GS) by putting the factory rounds through my LEE dies.

For cheap practice, I use 230gr LRN with S&B brass and W231 powder.

I believe I have close to 4,000 rounds (maybe 5,000 now) throught the KZ, and carry it nearly every day.

I will note that the magazines are expensive, and IMHO not of the best quality.  The base plate on the magazine is made out of a plastic that seems to be a little to hard (read brittle).   I have heard of these base plates breaking when a full magazine is dropped on a hard surface (10 rounds of .45 is heavy).  I must admit I have never had this happen though, but I think for $40 you should get better.

SDM

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have a KZ45 (full size)

The only problem I've had with mine is that the slide sometimes fails to go into battery fully-- I can usually do the hit-the-slide thing and close it rapidly, but it is really irritating.

My hope is that as the pistol gets fired, whatever is sticking will wear down.

<-- that's me posing with it.

Also mine is a very low serial number (in the 100s), and they have changed several parts since mine was made in early 2002.

I can tell, for example, that they're using a stainless hammer. Mine is something coated in Armor-Tuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top