Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2003 10:10:48 AM EDT
I read on a thread somewhere (I have self diagnosed ADD ) that XD's eject the casing into your face?  Is this right?  I'm planning to visit the INDY 1500 this weekend and I'm going to buy either a S&W 642 or an XD9 subcompact (if the price is right).  XD owners/users, speak up!

Jim
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife and I rented an XD 9 on Saturday. The casings ejected to the rear. I'm used to them ejecting to the side & bouncing off the stall walls into my face, but not directly back. It wasn't terrible, but not ideal either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never been bothered by the ejects except in indoor ranges with narrow enclosures (they will sometimes bounce on me). Other than that its never been a problem.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you have a broken ejector, the cases shouldn't eject into your face.  I have a couple of XDs that eject well to the right.  I went with a different guide rod with more tension on my XD357, but my XD9 also ejects to the right.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
My XD9 ejects up, behind me, to the right. Kicks the cases about 10 feet in the air.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The one we shot must have had a broken ejector then. Most of the time the case trajectories were kind of, for lack of a better term, flacid; just kind of falling out directly between our arms.

JimTh: Sorry if it was my other thread that caused you concern. It sounds like it was specific to the XD9 we were shooting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had an XD (or even the old HS2000 that I rented) eject into my face.

In stark contrast, my buddy's new IMI Baby Eagle did nothing BUT send hot brass my way--firing it or not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Ejecting into the face is usually an symptom of underpowered ammo.

Both my XD-40's eject to my right.  I can put a tarp down and stand on the left edge of it and collect all my brass.  Even when I download the case to barely cycle the action, I never had any of them bounce off my face.  

I did have a SIG P226 that ejected into my face no matter what I did, so I sold it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]

My XD9 sometimes ejects the aluminum cases from blazer ammo towards me.  never had a problem with brass cases.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]
dcross, I posted on the other thread you mentioned the brass coming out of the XD9 hitting your wife in the face.
I mentioned being hit in the forehead by brass lots of times (not by an XD9 though).
Now that I think of it, ken_mays post has the ticket, as this has only happened with economy brass rounds at the range in .45, while .357Sig rounds, even economy, fligh so high I end up sweeping everyone's brass because they bounce of everything with force and end up all over the place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]
They eject to the right like they should.  Straight back to you is probably a broken extractor, followed by underpowered ammo.

*myself shooting an XD40*
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
over 900rds through my XD9 and only one bounced off the top of my head.  no problems here!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
It's possible that hitting in the forehead is from limpwristing. My wife encounters it on occasion. The xd's have a barrel farther from the grip so there's more muzzle rise which can account for forehead impacts. It happened alot with my G-21, and even the G-17. I worked on her grip, and she hasn't had a problem with the hs2000 I bought her.

The Ohio highway patrol bought Baretta 96's a few years back and then sold them all because their women officers kept having stovepipes from limpwristing. Instead of training them to control the gun they went back to 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ejecting into the face is usually an symptom of underpowered ammo.

I'll second this. The only problems I've had with my XD-9 sub throwing brass in my face was with underpowered handloads. Commercial ammo seems to work just fine, ejecting cases over my right shoulder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top