Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2003 1:26:31 PM EDT
Hey all,

My wife is in the market for a good 9mm that'll primarily be for preventing an uprise of the evil paper. She's narrowed her choices down, but there's nowhere she can actually find, rent or shoot them. She's not really the type that goes on reccomendation alone, so what do you guys do when you're looking to buy? How do you compare them?

ps. One she's thinking about is the H&K USP 9. She shot the .40 version and liked it :)

Thanks,

-DC Ross
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can't find, borrow, rent, or steal a sample to shoot your at a disadvantage.  When I compare pistols prior to shooting I first see how they feel in my hand.  Is it easy to find a comfortable firing grip, is the trigger in a comfortable position with this grip?   Second does it point naturally?   When you punch out do the sights line up with an object in the distance your looking at?  Go to a range ask questions most shooters are more than willing to let you put a few rounds through a gun.  Dry fire the guns your looking at ask the shops permission first as it is there gun but I would steer clear of any shop that says no as they have some issues since it does not hurt guns to dry fire them.  Good luck in your endeavour.  Take a look at the CZ-75 line there great economical guns.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
How it feels in the hand is a VERY important consideration. An uncomfortable grip will be a bitch when it comes to shooting. Talk to people at the range, make friends where you shoot, and maybe they have a gun they'd let your wife put a few rounds through, I'm always up for showing the guys at the range my new toys!
Also, why not go with the .40 USP? Is it recoil?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys, guys. The local shop has a few of the 9mms she's considering. We'll take your advice and take up some of their time.

She also fired the XD, and wasn't particularly crazy about it. The grip was too small and the cases ejected right back at her (one hit her in the forehead!)

Quoted:
Also, why not go with the .40 USP? Is it recoil?

Actually it's the cost of ammo :D $9 vs. $13 per box adds up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Actually it's the cost of ammo :D $9 vs. $13 per box adds up
ammoman.com
It pays to be a smart shopper. Take a look at Erics' prices (noting that shipping is FREE). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The best hand-to-gun fit is the most important in my book.  Then comes quality, caliber, looks, and finaly price.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]

She also fired the XD, and wasn't particularly crazy about it. The grip was too small and the cases ejected right back at her (one hit her in the forehead!)

Just splitting hairs here, but I've had many a hot shell slap me in the forehead. With time you hardly notice it and don't flinch from target. Of course this is at the range with eye cover. I've never had one hit me smack in the eye though, so with practice it can be considered workable in terms of gun selection.(I'm NOT saying she should go for the XD you mentioned, if she didn't like the grip...it's a no go!)
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Actually it's the cost of ammo :D $9 vs. $13 per box adds up
ammoman.com
It pays to be a smart shopper. Take a look at Erics' prices (noting that shipping is FREE). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Word
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ammoman.com

Thanks Zardoz, there are some good deals to be had there. $139/1000 rds for Federal 9mm is better than $2 cheaper than per box.

I agree that fit is the most important, which is why this is kind of a pain. There's only one shop around here that I know of (Wade's in Bellevue). They're helpful, but there's not much to choose from to rent.

Quoted:
Just splitting hairs here, but I've had many a hot shell slap me in the forehead. With time you hardly notice it and don't flinch from target.

That's true, but I don't think Springfield could've aimed the ejector any better. Not bashing them, but if getting pelted can be avoided...

Thanks again,
DC Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top