Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2003 4:56:58 PM EDT
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=58024&page=1#423961

I just bought a Hi-Power at Cabelas and I don't know that much about them and I can't find anything useful online so...  

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The proof marks you describe are Belgian FN proofs.
They are on all 4 of my HPs.
Does it have the old or new extractor ?
My guess would be the old. (like a 1911)
If I can be of any help IM or E-mail me.
I have the Collector Grade book on HPs, I will
look up anything you ask.

Let me know,
Scott
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to ask over on FN Hipower . com

There was a Marcel Prevost who was a French author, but since he was born on the mid 1800's I doubt that he was the owner.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I've posted on that site, and still haven't gotten any replies there.  

Scottfn308, email on the way!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, part of the problem is that you haven't given much info that would help pinpoint it's age or model. The serial numbers won't help that much since it was quite common for contract purchases to specify unique serial number sequences. Unfortunately, that means there are likely duplicate serial numbers out there and many undocumented series as well. Afterall, this is one of the most common guns ever made.

The markings you list simply show that it's a P-35. Not a Browning import so I wouldn't look on their site. Browning Arms was a fairly recent player with the HiPower anyway. IIRC Browning Arms started selling the HiPower in the mid fifties, or about twenty years after it was introduced.

Here are a few things, beyond a picture, that would help. What shape hammer? What do the grips look like? Try looking at pictures of the different models of P-35s made over the years and see which looks closest to what you have. Pay attention to internal features. Is there a firing pin block? Is the blue bright, shiny and deep or is it a semi mat finish? Is it original blue or has it been re-blued? Are the grips wood, rubber, plastic? Does it have an ambi safety?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, this ought to cover it then.  It looks exactly like this example, only it has a slightly lower serial number.  All the features are the same.  Hammer, grips, etc.   Proof marks are also identical, even the small ones. Even the way the writing on the slide fades as it goes to left is consistant.  

The serial shown is A15978 on the frame, and the same without the A on the slide and barrel.  Mine has serial number A137XX on the frame, and the same minus A on the slide and barrel.

www.collectorsfirearms.com/pr2272.htm

Hope that helps.  The pistol shown is listed as a pre-war example.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:35:17 AM EDT
[#6]
That's about as close as you're going to get. Serial numbers and markings are only suggestions, FN was not really good about keeping records and many existing records were destroyed during the war. Check inside and see what the feed ramp looks like. The earliest models didn't have much of a ramp and so had some problems handling JHP ammo. If it's as early as pre-war, then you will do best sticking to ball ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top