Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2003 8:43:52 PM EDT

First off, I am a police officer and a SWAT team operator.  I have a stainless Para LDA 16.40 law enforcement version (bobbed hammer).  I've had the pistol for almost 2 years now, and have loved every minute of it....until :  I was getting ready for work one night and was checking my equipment.  I racked the slide on the LDA and dry-fired it.  When I racked the slide to the rear again, the Firing Pin Stop fell off the rear of the slide and on to the floor !!!  The firing pin had not reset.  I put the Firing Pin Stop back in place and pressed the plunger under the slide and the firing pin popped back in to place and held the Firing Pin Stop in place as it should.  I thought everything was OK, but I racked the slide several more times and the Firing Pin Stop fell out again.  I then sent the pistol back to Para for repair, which was very fast. I had the gun back in exactly 1 week, including shipping time.  I shot the gun approximately 150 more times, and the same problem  occured.  What the Hell ???  Has anyone heard of this before ??? How can it be fixed ??? I'm calling Para in the morning and demand a new slide at minimum and hopefully a new pistol.  That is rediculous !!! An $800 pistol that won't shoot after factory repair work.   Can you feel my pain ???
Let me hear from you 1911 people.

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, based on my experience within our IDPA group I would say your experience is par for the course.  If any gun is going to act up in a match its going to be a 1911, and chances are pretty good it will be a Para.  I really don't understand why those things are so popular.  I've seen to many of them choke on the firing line for me to trust them.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard from a friend that these pistols were not to be dry fired.....ever! Is this why? I would never own a pistol I couldn't dry fire. I dry fire daily with my Glocks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Dry firing has nothing to do with it, IMO. Sounds to me like a too weak firing pin spring or perhaps a bit short firing pin.

I cannot remember if the PO's have the stupid firing pin safety or not? If so, it may be contributing to the problem.

There's a slew of extra power firing pin springs out there, maybe this is why?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
How many rounds do you have thru it?
Something else to check is the tip of the pin to see if it has mushroomed over.

Maybe enough to let it work most of the time, but if a piece of dirt get in there it hang.

As for my 16-40 I put well over 10,000 rounds thru it without any major situations. The only part that ever broke on mine was the firing pin stop. I fitted another and was off and running.
I would change recoil and firing pin springs about once a year.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Bob....

Thanks for the suggestions.....

I tried a Wilson extra power spring the first time this occured, to no avail.  It still would happen periodically.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Update from my friend, they can't be thumb cocked and dry fired. Racking the slide and dry firing is OK.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two Paras (not LDA) set up for IPSC and IDPA.  I have shot the older of the two for five years and probably 15,000 rounds.
I keep a old tackle box full of Para parts in the truck.  Seems like something is always breaking.
Bottom line, I like Paras for competition,  but I would not carry one, especially in your line of work.
The factory really is not helpful on warranty issues either.  You had better stay after them. They really screwed me over on a broken slide a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Update from my friend, they can't be thumb cocked and dry fired. Racking the slide and dry firing is OK.

No flame intended but that makes no sense at all.  How is cocking the hammer with the slide versus the thumb make any difference?

Color me confused.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#9]
... This is a very disheartening thread to read. I literally have three dozen varied handguns and the one I hold closest to me is my Para Ordnance P14-45.

... I've worn out two barrels and a firing pin through her but otherwise it's been my most reliable (and comfortable) pistol to carry. I cannot even fathom which pistol to switch to if I had to.

... Sure, I had it completely gone through by a trusted pistolsmith right out of the box tens years ago or so, but many of my guns get at least a "$100" treatment of some sorts prior to me shooting it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I downloaded the 30mb LDA manual and on page 13 it says "The proper method for manually cocking the LDA pistol is by pulling back the slide". There is a picture of a thumb on the hammer with a red "no" line through it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it possible then the firing pin stop is out of spec?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#12]

According to Para, the firing pin stop was replaced the first time I returned it for repair.  If the first one was out of spec, then the 2nd one was as well...........
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I've sent the LDA back to Para and I'm waiting to see what they have to say.  I spoke with a warranty rep. who said that my request for a new pistol would have to be approved by several supervisors above him, only after the gunsmith says that the pistol is not repairable.

I am really starting to lose my patients and the high regards that I held for this pistol and their company.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Well, guess what ?  I got my pistol back from Para for the second time.  This time they replaced the extractor and the firing pin stop, and supposedly test fired it 50 times.  Well, I took the LDA to the range today and tried to shoot it....and it would not cycle !!!!  It would shoot 1 round, sometimes 2 rounds before failing to extract.  Never did it shoot more than twice.  I'm shooting factory loaded rounds out of Para factory magazines.  I'm completely fed up with this pistol.  If you will notice, it is for sale on the handgun board.  If anyone wants it, I'll even pay shipping.  Good Ridence!

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Now you have to change your screen-name here. May I recommend glock21guy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#16]

I heard that Innocent Bystander.........I will now be known only as Glock22C-guy !!!!!

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:15:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I heard that Innocent Bystander.........I will now be known only as Glock22C-guy !!!!!

May I also suggest you not overlook H&K?  

Seriously, I would perhaps try to get an opinion or two from possibly Wilson Combat or Cylinder & Slide for repair advice before I sold the gun & took a beating.

Something(!) is out of spec, either the firing pin stop or the slide.

Good luck though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#18]
One of the best Para pistolsmiths around is Bob Hunter, who hails from Osborn, Missouri.  He may not be far from you.  You might want to check with him before giving up on your Para.  His website is www.huntercustoms.com

You might also want to inquire about your problem at the Para forum on 1911forum: www.1911forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Well..........Today the folks at Para finally " saw the light " and decided to ship me a new gun !!!   I can't believe it.  I take back every bad thing I've said & thought about them.  Anyone want a NIB stainless Para LDA 16.40 with night sights ?

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
hmmm  I'll give you 100 bucks for that POS.  

just kidding,  what do you want for it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top