Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2003 1:06:55 PM EDT
I just got back from a hunting trip in Montana where I brought my regular carry gun with (HKP7) and it got scratched up pretty good.

I'm looking for a CHEAP carry gun to bring carry with on hunting trips, road trips and occasionally carry on me.  I'm looking at the Bersa .380 Thunder or the Rock Island 1911 Compact 45ACP.  Anyone have any experiences with either gun?

Thanks,

Mark
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
So you're saying a Bersa .38 nor the Rock Island .45 can be used for protection???

m
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wouldn't want to get shot with either, LOL. I just don't think worrying about the really good gun you already have getting scratched up is a justification for carrying a different gun.

I have seen a lot of posts here from guys with the Bersa who like it. I don't think much of .380 personally and don't carry mine (a different 380, not a Bersa) anymore.

I've never shot a Rock Island, but the cheap 1911s always seem problematic. I think that's the one assembled in the Phillipines.

Why not get a used Glock, Springfield XD at least? There are lots of used .357 revolvers around that are a good deal. Also Lexington Arms is selling Kimbers FOR COST right now on the Equipment Exchange.

I still say you should just carry your P7 and not worry about it.

Sh*t he should go with a Makarov in 9x18...They go bang all the time and ammo is cheap and pleantyful.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Get it refinished if it gets really bad, otherwise I'd say keep your P7 for carry and don't worry about it.. If you are trying to retain some value in the pistol for sale later, forget about it. Shoot it, carry it, and enjoy it man.. They are nice pistols and they were meant to be used.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I carry the P7 every almost every day.  I paid $1500 for it new and would rather keep it in decent condition.  When I take it on hunting trips out west it gets beat to hell.  Thats why I'm looking into a cheaper gun for those trips, also one I don't mind leaving in the car when I'm driving through a state I can't carry in.  Now I'm looking at the Llama mini 1911, I think i've ruled out the .380 bersa.  Any thoughts?

m
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were you, I would stay away from the Llama.  I had one of their mini .45's and the dang thing never really ran right.  I also had a Bersa Thunder .380.  Now, that was a sweet shooting pistol.  It had one of the best triggers that I have ever felt, and was very accurate as well.  Both of those guns were stolen in a break-in.
If I only got one of them back, I would rather it be the Bersa.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I carried a Bersa .380auto as a BUG for a couple years. I liked it so much I gave it away.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Why did you get rid of it?
m
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
You know Bersa makes a .45 now, right? Havent shot one but it feels good in the hand. I know several ex-DPS troopers that carry them and are real happy with them. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep the HK with the quality and reliabiliy it has. If it gets to scratched and ugly on the exterior, go for a good refinishing.
Don't get the Llama 1911!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Scratches add character and mark it as a tool to save your life not a trinket that goes in a velvet case.

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just got back from a hunting trip in Montana where I brought my regular carry gun with (HKP7) and it got scratched up pretty good.

I'm looking for a CHEAP carry gun to bring carry with on hunting trips, road trips and occasionally carry on me.  I'm looking at the Bersa .380 Thunder or the Rock Island 1911 Compact 45ACP.  Anyone have any experiences with either gun?

Thanks,

Mark

If you consider your life to be valuable, then why in the hell would you carry a cheap POS to defend it?

Remember that whatever you buy to carry, you are betting your very life on. With that in mind, it pays to get the best equipment you can. It is not enough just to have a gun. You must have one that will WORK when you need it.

And odds are that the conditions that scratch your HK will BREAK those cheaper guns. Better to have an ugly HK that will still go BANG, (you can have them refinished to look good as new), than a broken cheapo special...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Going to throw my .02 cents in...along with a constructive idea.

First, what is the intended purpose of the handgun? I am going to guess you are carrying it incase of 2 legged critters, not the 4 legged ones on Montana. Simple personal protection, right?

Second, since you are hunting I imagine you are looking for something light and easy to carry. You probably have enough gear already and don't want any more weight.

Third, You are going to need something reliable and durable but don't want to worry about it getting banged up.

If it was me, I would be looking at medium or small frame revolver. First one that comes to mind is a Ruger SP101 357 mag (5 shot, stainless) I would go with the 3" barrel since concealment is not an issue and you get a little more velocity over the snubbie. If you don't mind the weight then go with your choice of 6 (or even 7) shot, 4" barrel. S&W also makes a very nice 5 shot 357, however the sp101 is cheaper, does the same thing, and is built like a tank. The Ruger is also in your price range.

Considering you are truly out in the field, a cheap semi-auto is just not going to hold up for you. Wrong tool for the job.

If you are dead set on a semi-auto for in the field then you need to be prepared to spend some real money for something that will hold up and take the abuse.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. I hope this gave you something to consider when you make your choice.

Cheers
Later....
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I`m with W-W go with the makarov.one of the best guns in the world for the money.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks I appreciate the input on the differnt guns I asked about.  Bringing the HK hunting again is not the question.  Its my daily carry gun at home.  Everyone who asked whats your life worth.  Can you really tell me a less expensive 45 won't do the job?  What is the dollar amount when a gun can protect you? Do all you wear a $1000 motorcycle helmet, drive $50,000 Volvos with side airbags, and shoot Kimbers and HKs?  I know the HK is a good reliable gun.  I want to keep it that way for the other 350 days of the year when I'm not traveling through states (ND, WI) where I can't keep the gun with me and I may have to leave it in the car.  I want a cheap gun I don't mind getting wet, scratched, and left in the car(not by choice).  Anyway I bought a Llama Mini-Max, seems to be a nice gun.  3 boxes of ammo through it without a jam.  OK fit and finish, I think a few scratches might give this gun a bit more character.

m
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:13:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I don`t think there is nothing wrong with a Llama. I had a full size Llama that out shot my kimber with wolf ammo.It didn`t feed hollow points that well but was 100% relible with FMJ.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don`t think there is nothing wrong with a Llama. I had a full size Llama that out shot my kimber with wolf ammo.It didn`t feed hollow points that well but was 100% relible with FMJ.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I`m serious!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Me too
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Whatever.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#22]
CZ-75 compact?

Kel-Tec P-11?

I just dunno about Llamas man.. I mean, don't they spit?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#23]
My Bersa 380 is a fantastic little CCW gun for me.  With a good Comp-Tac "Shirt Tucker" holster you can't even tell that it's there...

Can you see the Bersa?  NO?

[Verizon Boy Voice]Can you see it now?  Goooooood![/Verizon Boy Voice]

It's a VERY accurate gun considering the barrel length, and caliber!  When I practice with it, I can keep a 3.5" ragged group at 25 yards with a few fliers...  The trigger is GREAT (3lbs Single Action, 6lbs double), especially when compared to the triggers of other guns in its frame style (W-PPK, Makarov, etc).

They generally prefer hotter loads though.  It eats Federal Hydrashoks all day long like candy, but the second you try to put a lighter practice round though it she sometimes FTFs on cheap russian FMJ or Winchester Shit-White-Box 380 (very underpowered for 380).

I highly recommend the Bersa for a good cheap summer/IWB CCW gun!  I, like you, don't want to scratch a collectible gun, and with my Bersa, it's got plenty of finish wear, scratches, etc., and it continues to fire like a champ.  Another problem is that the mags cost a ton if you buy factory mags.

I, too, am looking at buying a Rock Island 1911A1 for winter concealed carry because my Bersa CCW gun is a IWB type gun, and I need something more potent to make sure I can shoot though more layers of heavy winter clothing, and a gun that is more accessable than being UNDER a winter parka, under a sweater, under a tucked in shirt, in my waistband...  In the winter it'd be strange trying to get that out in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info.  I ended up buying a Llama MiniMax 45.  I put a nowlin drop in trigger job (everything fit but the sear spring which I replaced with a colt commander ($3) I polished the ramp myself and I still have less than $300 in the gun.  The trigger is great and the gun shoots very nice.  The first  2 boxes I shot had 4 feed jams.  After I polished the ramp and cleaned the gun I shot 2 more boxes.  I had zero feed problems with the box of FMJ and 1 feed jam with a box of JHP reloads.  I assume like most 1911's after you feed 200-500 rounds through it all the feed problems smooth themselves over.

mark
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I got a Bersa Thunder .380 last year... it's a GREAT pistol.  I only put about 400 rounds through it, and it hasn't missed a beat.  I would trust my life to it.  It's quite accurate too.

Highly recommended for an INEXPENSIVE carry/concealment pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top