Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2003 6:28:58 PM EDT
I just picked up a SIG P228, and a SIG P239 this week for concealed carry. Today I got a chance to take them both to the range for the first time, and I put about 175 rounds through each one of them.

I had some real problems at first with the 239 every round from the first magazine either had a stove piped ejected casing, jammed coming out of the magazine, the round ejected but the next round didn’t chamber, and after the last round the slide didn’t stay open but the chamber was empty. I switched to the other magazine, and a different kind of ammo and it continued but some rounds started cycling correctly. Eventually I only had a stove piped casing every third round, or so but the slide was still staying closed after the last round ejected. Finally after about a hundred rounds the gun started functioning properly.

I was thinking the recoil spring was the problem, but when I took apart my guns to clean them afterwards the finish on the 239 barrel was worn on top, bottom, and side.

http://www.ak-74.net/images/sigbarrels.jpg

I cleaned and oiled both guns before taking them to the range, and the 239 beforehand had a tight slide release but it loosened up after shooting it. I don’t believe this gun was thoroughly inspected at the factory, and it didn’t have any shell casings included like the 228 did. Hopefully it won’t act up like this again or I am going to have to send it back to SIG.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything you described is out of the ordinary for a SIG, at least in my experience. My P226 and SP2340 both shot great out of the box, the double action pull just needs 300-400 rounds to smooth out the tight feeling it has. I'd send it back in for sure. Be sure you describe all of the problems in detail (obviously); you deserve a new gun, not a look over of the one you purchased.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
AK...

My Sig P239 did the same thing. I almost sent it back to Sig.

Clean the magazines real good. When I took my P239 back to my dealer, he cleaned the mags real good and it shot reliably from then on. Haven't had a problem with it since.

My advice is to also shoot some hot +P ammo through it (50 or so rounds) to break it in and get it going. Every firearm needs a breakin period.

The wear you see on your barrel matches the wear on my barrel exactly. Nothing to worry about.

If the above suggestions don't help, contact Sig and see what they tell you to do...
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't had the malfunctions you were talking about, but I experienced the same barrel wear on the outside.  My other sigs did not have that issue.  Other than that, the 239 has been performing great.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I never had a malf of any kind with my 239, but I agree that in 90% of malfs with any firearm, the mag's the culprit.  I also agree on getting some good strong ammo to break the weapon in.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to know why someone has to clean the mags on a $600-700 NIB gun? Seems kinda bogus to me. Is Sig following Colt's notorous footsteps?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The mags come from Mec-Gar and are not produced directly by Sig. Reliability out of the box is a wonderful idea but hardly ever happens in the real world.

I always clean my guns after buying them (unless the instructions tell me not to, as with my Les Baer 1911) and now I also clean my mags properly too. Good habits to be in.

The 239, BTW, sells for around 500. =)

After the initial breakin and thorough cleaning, the little 9mm pistol has proven very reliable and very accurate...
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
im actually debating on a P239 for conceal carry in .357. But Im thinking it might have some over penetration problems with it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The mags come from Mec-Gar and are not produced directly by Sig. Reliability out of the box is a wonderful idea but hardly ever happens in the real world.

If a mag is shipped on a Sig, then Sig has the responsibility to ensure they work.

Strange I haven't had any mag problems or out-of-the-box problems with my H&Ks, Beretta, Brownings or SA.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
im actually debating on a P239 for conceal carry in .357. But Im thinking it might have some over penetration problems with it.

I just switched to .357Sig for my carry gun. There's several options to avoid the overpenetration concern.

Frangible ammo, hollowpoints are a couple.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The barrel wear is completely normal on guns that use the Browning style tilting lockup. The stovepipes and FTC are not that unusual either. It will go away as the gun gets broken in. Also pay attention to where your thumb is. If your thumb rides up and touches the slide release lever it will also contribute to just the symptoms you describe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top